Kickapoo State Park Campground Review

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by BAPU, May 17, 2017.

1. BAPU

BAPU Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Kickapoo State Park Review - Oakwood, IL

We visited this public campground managed by Illinois DNR in April 2017, staying there in our pop-up on site 76. It was extremely dark and quiet (few campers) when we were there, which really made us feel like we were away from it all.

This campground has 184 sites, of which half are electric. 50 amp sites are located along a beautiful ridge overlooking a lake. There is a large open non-electric tent area, with some wooded walk-in sites along the ridge. The rest of the sites are 30 amp. The RV sites have a level gravel driveway, an electrical post, a fire ring, and picnic table. Many sites are close along inner loops, but more spread out along the outside of each loop. Many sites are wooded.

The older facilities seem to be decently maintained. There are two bathhouses with 2 toilet and 2 shower stalls on each side. The showers were not very warm when we were there, but other campers said they just turned them on and they are usually warm. Other amenities include a dump station, a playground, and an amphitheater.

This campground is located within Kickapoo State Park, which offers excellent fishing, hiking, and biking. It's the only state park in Illinois with a National Scenic River. The views along the river and the lakes/ponds are beautiful. The park is not far from I-74 and the Illinois/Indiana border, so it's a good stop-off for travelers. Reservations are recommended because it does fill up on summer weekends and holidays.

We would stay here again, especially in site 76. Great views in sites 88 and 90, but little shade. You can read a full review of state park/campground and see photos on our camping blog: http://letscampsmore.com/kickapoo-state-park/
    [​IMG]
    Cross post with the Pop Up,Teardrop, HTT and Tent Camping Campground Reviews Facebook Group

Natureangel likes this.
  2. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Where is this anyway...???

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I always associated the KICKAPOO INDIANS with North Texas... lots of KICKAPOO Indian tribes from that region... Never realized they was also in Illinois... Will have to read up on this...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Jun 21, 2012
    off of I74 about 5 miles west of the state line. west side of Danville Illinois. Exits 206 or 210. in fact you drive right through it on I74 although there is no exit right there. A few miles away east , is the exit.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I am originally from Bonnie, Illinois south of Mount Vernon on ILL 37.... My dad's family are original HORSE CREEKERS from NE Jefferson County haha

Never got to camp much in the Illinois areas as I left the area from High school in the 50s to go into the AIR FORCE and didn't come back to live in the home area when I go married... Have mostly lived in the ARK, TX, AZ, CA, and VA areas and really fell in love with the Texas area where my wife is from... I now live in King George VA My entire working years has been 8 years with the Air Force and 34 years associated with SPACE SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM which has their very high powered Transmitter Antenna array located near Archer City TX and of course is named the Lake Kickapoo Transmitter site... This has brought me back to the Wichita falls area of Texas which is home to Kickapoo Indians and Chief Kicking Bird of the infamous Kickapoo Indians.... There are many things around this area named with the Kickapoo name...

My Bonnie home stomping areas got all eat up by the REND LAKE and it has many camping facilities around it... Our small family farm NW of Bonnie was eat up by the Rend Lake...

Need to start looking at some of them haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    My Mom's side of the family is originally from Shelbyville...just up the road apiece

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My sister Donna Kay lives in Effingham... Married into the MARTIN family that runs the Martin IGA Grocery Stores there... Thats not too far from Shelbyville

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    We drove up to Bloomington last year to visit family and went right through Effingham... My DW had never been to Illinois before and was tickled by that name for some reason.

9. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Mar 28, 2010
    I was born and raised in Danville and spent many a days at Kickapoo. Great park which has plenty of hiking and fishing spots

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I hadn't really thought about the name Effiingham before.... I guess 'Effing' is a swear word substitute for some folks...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]