Kidney Friendly Diets

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Orchid, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

A few months ago, I was diagnosed with kidney disease. This factored into my decision to buy another PUP. We had been tent camping for the past year or so.

Kidney diets are odd, and extremely difficult to maintain without cooking your own food. It's not just a matter of eating what people traditionally view as "healthy." My diet requires me to severely limit sodium, potassium, phosphates, calcium, and protein.

I think the majority of people would be completely shocked to find out how much sodium they consume in a normal day. Every prepared food is packed with sodium. Even fresh and frozen chicken breasts are soaked in sodium solution. I have to purchase my chicken from a local farm store.

Although most restaurants will list sodium in their nutrition facts, it's nearly impossible to find one that lists potassium, and especially, phosphorus. There are currently only two phone apps that offer this information for major restaurant chains. Basically, it's just safer to prepare your own food.

Although I could do this in a tent, It would require towing a small trailer with microwave, toaster over, crock pot, and other equipment that I need to comfortably prepare my own meals. In the past, I have done most of my cooking outside. Things are changing now and I'll be thankful to have appliances and a sink - basically a rolling kitchen - to make things easier.

We don't camp in bear country, so no need to warn me about the smells. [;)]

We are regulars at Disney World, where their food is over priced and not that great anyway. And I'm sure packed with all the things I can't have. [:O] So our PUP will now become our hotel room w/kitchen while there.

Anyway, I'll be sharing some of kidney-friendly recipes on this thread, for anyone who is interested. Some things I will make ahead, freeze, and reheat. Others I will make on site. I hope there are others out there who will contribute as well. :)

2. ready123go

ready123go Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Glad to meet you!

Due to health reasons I follow a very restricted version of a paleo diet (basically greens and protein), so I have to prepare all my own food too!

We also do WDW, mostly in winter. I've managed to figure out how to prepare food in their rooms. This year I tried cooking chicken sous vide in my crock-pot there. Worked out wonderfully.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas! :)

3. Orchid

We cook in the rooms too, although previously it was for different reasons. We always bring a microwave and cooler with drinks so we can stock the fridge with real food. I have seriously thought about bringing a crock pot or toaster oven into the rooms, but was concerned they wouldn't like that. [LOL]

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I'll be watching this tread also, as the DW only has one kidney and is third stage kidney failure. I've learned to cook with no salt and actually don't miss it. And your right VERY few products list Potassium. Have you checked out Davita's web page they have tons of recipes that are surprisingly tasty.

5. Orchid

Nice to meet you!

Yes, I have spent lots of time on DaVita's site! Got recipes from there, from the Kidney Foundation, and a few other internet sources. I'm in the process of trying to figure out which ones are best suited for camping. Glad to have some others on board on this thread.

Feel free to post any recipes you would like to share. :)

6. Orchid

Campfire Meatloaf Stuffed Onions

6 medium onions
    20 squares saltine-type crackers, unsalted tops
    1 pound lean ground beef (10% fat)
    1 large egg
    2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Cut each onion in half and remove center, leaving a thick shell on both sides. If desired, finely chop remaining onion and add to meat mixture.

Thoroughly mix all remaining ingredients, and use to stuff onion shells.

Wrap in heavy duty foil and cook in coals until done.

Calories 192
    Protein 17 g
    Carbohydrates 11 g
    Fat 9 g
    Cholesterol 84 mg
    Sodium 152 mg
    Potassium 205 mg
    Phosphorus 143 mg
    Calcium 27 mg
    Fiber 0.5 g

Attached Files:

7. Orchid

I always liked to have things like toast, bagels, English muffins, and biscuits for breakfast. Unfortunately, commercially made versions of all of the above contain way too much sodium for me now.

These biscuits I make ahead and take with me in a Ziploc bag. I eat them with a bit of unsalted butter or an egg on them.

Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    3 teaspoons double acting baking powder
    2 teaspoons sugar
    ⅓ cup vegetable shortening
    ¼ cup 1% milk
    ½ cup water

1. Pre-heat oven at 350ºF.
    1. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
    2. Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs form. Make a well in the mixture.
    3. Pour milk and water into the well.
    4. Stir quickly with a fork until dough follows fork around the bowl.
    5. Dough should be soft. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
    6. Knead gently 10-12 times. Roll or pat dough until ½" thick.
    7. Dip a 2 ½" biscuit cutter into flour; then cut out 10 biscuits.
    8. Bake biscuits on un-greased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes.

Serving size - 1 Biscuit

162 calories
    1 gm trans fat
    150 mg sodium
    3 gm protein
    1 mg cholesterol
    36 mg potassium
    8 gm total fat
    21 gm carbohydrate
    63 mg phosphorus
    2 gm saturated fat
    1 gm fiber
    92 mg calcium

8. Orchid

Well, after yesterday's visit with my nephrologist, I found out that my kidney function is now completely normal. My kidney problems were found to be due to NSAIDS. Needless to say, I am off ibuprofen and arthritis meds forever.

Even though my kidneys are now functioning normally, my doctor said I am still considered to have chronic kidney disease, as my kidneys took a hit. Another hit from any source, be it drugs or diet, and they will not rebound so well. Therefore, I am going to still stick to a kidney friendly diet, just a bit less strict, mostly restricting sodium.

I'll still continue to post recipes here for all of us. Just about everyone can benefit from a lower sodium diet, and the recipes I'll post will stick to kidney-friendly levels of other things as well. :)

9. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Orchid... So sorry to hear. I want to know what a kidney friendly diet is. God speed your recovery.

10. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Jun 7, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Just want to tag this and follow, and to wish you the best of luck on your healthy diet.