Kincaid Lake

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by JbirdsChick, Mar 20, 2017.

1. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Jul 9, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    I booked our memorial day camping site a little late this year. I had a hard time finding a campground with available spots. I did find a few open spots at Kincaid Lake. It's been many many years since I have been there. Has anybody been there in the last year?

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I grew up about 30 minutes from Kincaid Lake so I've been there many, many times. In high school my friend and I hit the lake at least 1 or 2 times a week for bass fishing. Then the youth group at our church always has a fishing derby there every year in September, along with camping for the weekend. I looked forward to that trip every year when I was a kid and now I get to again taking my son.

The biggest change in the campground would be a new bathhouse at the top of the hill built a few years ago. This is near site 42. The only other bathhouse is near the playground and across from site 25. They did put in new playground equipment a few years ago too if you have kids. Oh, and the golf course 10-15 years ago. The sites over the hill (77-84) would be nice and closer to the lake, but it would be a long trek to the bathhouse if you plan on using the facilities.

Sites 16-22 (roughly, working from memory and looking at the map here) are pretty steep. With a smaller pup they might be ok, but definitely wouldn't be ideal. As an example, this was site 20 in the first trip with my old pup. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but notice the stack of wood blocks under the rear bed support. After that point it dropped way off so I was lucky with my tiny pup that I could stay closer to the road.

[​IMG]

JbirdsChick likes this.
  3. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Jul 9, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    IMG_1321.JPG We are scheduled to stay on 16. The grade is "slight" for this site. I hope it's ok. I always get nervous going somewhere new or returning to a place I camped at as a child and I barely remember. I will post a review later. Cross your fingers.

4. tls2971

tls2971 Active Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    Hi Guys, I am in KY too. I am interested in what you think of Kincaid Lake so definitely post your review. I haven't heard of Kincaid Lake but I am definitely going to check it out. I just booked my maiden voyage at Breaks Interstate Park in VA for the end of June. It's right over the KY border apparently because it comes up under KY State Parks. It looks nice and there is a lot for the kids to do. Have fun and Happy Camping.

JbirdsChick likes this.
  5. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I've camped there the last two years so here's my 2 cents...
    Overall, a nice campground with lots to do. There's fishing, boat/canoe/paddle boat rentals, golf course, swimming pool (for $), putt putt, basketball courts, sand volleyball. On the weekend they had organized activities for the kids which was nice. Two family cemeteries in the park to scare the crap out of your kids on a late night hike. Bath houses are nice. Not much in the way of hiking trails though....

Sites 38 - 52: In my opinion the best sites. Low Traffic and shaded.
    Sites 1 - 18 are nice but high traffic. Every car entering the campground goes by the sites.
    Sites 77 - 84 are low traffic, but if I remember correctly there isn't as much shade there.
    Rest of the sites are OK too with the exception of 62-64 which are right next to the bath house.

The Falmouth Wool Festival is pretty cool and next to the State Park. Book early though because sites fill up fast. Oct 6-8. http://www.kywoolfest.org/

tls2971 and JbirdsChick like this.