Kiteboarding Area, worried about wind

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by vdotmatrix, Jul 18, 2018.

1. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Headed to Cape Hatteras with the popup and I am concerned about the wind. I am staying at the KOA. I was wondering if people ever use guy wires for the popups so they don't pop-OFF?

Should I be concerned?

NothingsChocking likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Your popup is stronger than you think. I've been through most of a tropical storm once. Made it for as long as we dared. It was dang scary and we didn't sleep a wink. Winds were well upwards of 50 mph a good portion of the time. The winds picked up even more and decided to close her up and sleep in the car. The storm was almost over but we didn't know that at the time so probably would have been fine leaving her up just didn't want to push it. Don't be alarmed if you see the roof sway in the wind a bit. It's designed to have some play. I would not use the awning if the wind is going to be too strong that is your weakest part.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Here is the wind forecast for the next week at Cape Hatteras.
    https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/cape_hatteras

As JMKAY1 stated above, they closed the pup up do to the winds. We did the same thing in Glacier NP. When we woke up the winds were picking up to 50+ MPH. We were going to be away all day so we decided to close it up. We figured to be better safe than sorry!!!

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    One of our members Roy, installed eye hooks into his roof side boards and uses rachet straps and ground augers to secure his. I've been to Cape Hatteras with my family tent camping as a lad and remember how windy it was.

Rik Peery likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Before going dark I never thought about lashing the PUP down and I have been thru some pretty strong winds, with no problem. However if you are worried then add tie downs (ratchet straps work good for most anything you want to tie down. I do add extra tie downs to the awning ( even with the TT) if I want to leave it up. Good luck and Happy Camping

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    When we were in Glacier NP, we saw other pups (about 3-4) and they must be locals that knew of the wind issues at the campground. They had four 2x4's that were long enough that went from the roof to the ground. They cut a notch out that fit on the bottom edge of the roof. The other end they put a long stake in the ground to sure them up up.

7. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    I believe everyone would be concerned to some extent. With everything flapping around it's hard to NOT be concerned. But you'll be fine. The PUP is made to handle a good amount of wind.
    But if you're looking for a piece of mind, get/make/take/put in 2x4's between the roof and side (where the canvas is) to support the roof. I've seen 4 corners and also just 2 on opposite corners. Lower roof a bit to hold them in. (I've never done this but seen where other have)
    And then keep the awning rolled up or if it's not too bad put it out and use tie downs to secure it. Make sure the stakes are fairly stout or they'll just get pulled out of the ground. Happened to me using the little tent stakes [B)] If you have a site with the shelter, just tie up to it. Worked great!
    We have been to Hatteras KOA many times, our favorite place to go.
    One time we were there and the winds were insane one day for several hours. Awnings were put away and anything out side was put inside or tied up. The winds were 40-45 mph with 55+ gusts. Started after dinner time and lasted well into the early morning hours. Barely slept and was totally freaking out the entire time. But PUP held strong.

Enjoy your trip, and wish you good weather and lots of sunshine [SUN]

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our pup has been up during 50 mph winds with 60 mph gusts with no issues. Hurricane season here in Florida, we get hit with some good wind at times. We never use the awning. That may grab and cause problems, so if winds are high, I would keep it put up.

9. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the tips...grabbed a bunch of rachet tie straps from the garage and book marked windfinder!

Orchid likes this.
  10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    shouldn't be a problem... My Coleman popup handled Thunderstorms with wind without any issue. I never had to say "Gone with Wind".

11. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    A few years ago, we took the P'up to Shelter Valley, California, in late January/early February for our wedding anniversary. The first two days and nights, the wind blew like crazy. Shook the trailer and was way too much to even think of putting out the awning. Yet, for all that wind, the trailer and the canvas held up just fine.

The third night, the wind quit, and the temperature dropped so much, that we had an icicle (literally) on the sink faucet in the morning. We were supposed to stay four nights, but after that, we decided to cut the trip short and head home.

12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
  13. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Smart move on rolling up awning to prevent further damages.

14. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Had to bail last week and will try again on thursday

15. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I made it to Waves, NC KOA in the OBX. Got one session in but then the heavy thunderstorms came and crazy wind....before it really got bad I i got some rachet straps ( not rachet straps) and put friction hitches on the top of the lifts tubes on the windward side and anchored them to the picnic tables and one of them spiral dog hook anchors.

Then winds came....20 gusting to 30-35. scary! so the canopy would oscillate and I went back outside and lashed the leeward side to picnic tables so this ting was supported on both sides; stopped the oscillation right away.

THIS was a very secure setup and the extra insurance was reassuring, and quite necessary.

It rained so hard but I was high and dry with creature comforts. awesome!!!The entire RV resort was underwater as was most of OBX..traffic was aweful. But thanks to you guys an ounce of caution prevented any sagas!!!! Thanks BTW, I was there 3.5 days and only got 3 1 hour sessions in,,,quite disappointing...soon to return

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    I would look it as a "good popup wash". Mine is in need of a good rain to wash off the California dust off my popup.