Kodiak Canvas Tent or Livin Lite Quicksilver?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by autiger92, May 19, 2019.

1. autiger92

autiger92 New Member

We currently own a Trailmanor 2720. We are getting ready to sell it. I love camping with it, but it’s too much maintenance. It’s too big to store at our home, and towing 3500lbs is just not fun. My husband is fine with it, but I get incredibly anxious while towing. Opening and closing process is not fun either. My husband never wants to camp for more than 3 or 4 days at a time, and it’s just too much trouble for that short of a stay. I’m not ready to give up on camping just yet. Ideally, I want a situation where my daughter (13) and I could handle set up by ourselves and quickly. At first I thought I would just go buy a Coleman or Ozark Trail instant tent, but that’s going to put me back in the situation that made me want the Trailmanor. My first Coleman tent leaked pretty badly, and was a beast to set up.

I’ve been scouring the internet for alternatives. The Kodiak Flex Bow and Springbar tents seem to have a loyal following. The Kodiak is very appealing to me, but it’s so heavy. I’m not sure I’m strong enough to handle it. I also like the Oztent Oxley 7 Lite. These are all tents that are guaranteed to be waterproof—some with lifetime warranties. They are canvas tents.

I’m also intrigued by the Livin Lite Quicksilver series because it would be much less stressful to tow. Lower profile, better visibility, super Lite, we could park it at our house, no stakes to hammer in, nothing that could rot...But I’m not sure if the canvas is real canvas. I don’t know how reliable it is—especially since it’s a part of Thor now.

I know some of you do both tent camping and pop up camping. If you’ve owned any of the tents/trailers I’m considering, I would love to hear your thoughts. Also, what else is out there that I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I hear you about owning a trailer and all that involves - BTDT for 20 yrs with popups, a hybrid, couple of travel trailers - great fun BUT there is a cost of ownership beyond just $$$$$. Last year after we sold our most recent travel trailer I bought a Core 6 person instant tent and as it happened it poured the day I first set it up on site. No issues at all, didn't leak a drop anywhere, and it truly is an instant up tent, taking only a couple of minutes to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/CORE-Person-Instant-Cabin-Tent/dp/B00VFGKUIK/ref=sr_1_2?crid=JHPYYBMZOBWL&keywords=core+6+person+instant+cabin+tent&qid=1558302267&s=gateway&sprefix=core+6+person+,aps,172&sr=8-2&th=1

[​IMG]

If you want a tent that's REALLY easy to set up yourself check out the new T4 hub tents by Gazelle - pricey but certainly easy to deal with.

https://www.gazelletents.com/

autiger92 likes this.
  3. autiger92

autiger92 New Member

Thanks for the recommendation! Did you seal the seams beforehand?

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Not at all, no need.

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

We have an Aliner Ranger 10, but found this at a local Gander Outdoors on sale, took it for a 4 day trip, love it; easy to tow (840 lbs), versatile, you can carry a 4x4 etc, & once you practice setting it up a few times, fairly quick & easy...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qq7otLW1Fs 58443579_1344835719003689_428808877702643712_n (1).jpg

Attached Files:

autiger92 likes this.
  6. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I have a Eureka "Copper Canyon" tent that is relatively light (we have the BIG one so it's not really light) that is fine in the rain. But ya know, if I were to take tent camping seriously I'd want a cot. And if I'm lugging that along, why not also bring...anyway it escalates. The Sylvansport (or Quicksilver) is logical from there, especially if you want to bring bikes. :)

But you can absolutely carry one of those big tents, especially with a 13-year old kid on one end. (A folding wagon turns out to be an embarrassingly nice thing to have for tent/car camping, too.)

autiger92 and Rik Peery like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I bought an ozark trail instant tent that has served me well and VERY easy to set up. It went through a massive storm on one trip and did not leak even when the river I was near over ran it's banks and flooded my site a bit. I was dry inside but everything was just so sticky and damp due to humidity alone. There was always water that will slip in when you open the zipper to get out so had to keep a towel there. Did have a problem about making sure nothing was touching the sides or it would be very damp. That trip rained for three days straight non stop and the fourth scattered showers. So it wasn't something I could wait out. The tent is easy, but it's everything else you need to haul that takes time not to mention cooking gear, lights, etc. I needed to lug my canopy as the instant screenhouse wouldn't have been big enough to do much cooking at least where I wouldn't be soaked. Not to mention sleeping on the ground was getting harder. Air mattress just hate me even the most expensive one.
    I have a traditional popup and I'm
    able to do everything myself although does have set up time and just like your current camper you will still have the maintenance that needs to be done. Easier to tow though. Everything has their positives and negatives. When I looked into getting the camper I was looking for something that had AC and heater so I could extend my camping trips. Not to crazy about needing to air the camper out if it rains but to me a small price to pay for the extra comfort and ease of towability. I suggest to make a pros/cons list of everything you are thinking about including possible tent camping. Determine what is more critical for you and your family. Look at all the set up time involved all the gear you may need to pack etc. I still tent camp, but I love my popup for the comfort alone.

autiger92 likes this.
  8. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

How much room do you have to store? There are some small lightweight campers on the market that require very little setup. There is also tent trailers that are very light (Double Duty) and motorcycle campers can also be towed behind a car. How many people do you need the have room for? I can see the maintenance issue, storing room, and towing somewhat. I don't get the setup problem. I've tent camped a lot and it's more setup than any camper I've dealt with. A Trailmanor is what we are going for as soon as the grandkids are on their own. As for a tent, that will end when the kids are done with scouts. After scouting with the grandkids I'll donate all our tent camping gear to the local scout troop.

autiger92 and Overland like this.
  9. autiger92

autiger92 New Member

Thank you all for the input. Good food for thought. Definitely going to make a pro con list. I’ll check out all the links.

Ideally, whatever I get will sleep 4 comfortably.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

For travel trailers that will put you close to the weight of the Trailmanor, but less setup.

11. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

I currently have a 2015 Quicksilver 8.0 model having "moved up" from a smaller 6.0 model. Since Thor took over the Quicksilver brand there have certainly been some quality control issues (these are addressed on other forums.) The tent itself was supplied by Top Stitch in northern IN and I believe that it still is. The tent material is good quality, but the zippers on the tent are not very sturdy. I bought my QS from a private dealer on Craigslist and saved about $2000. No problems. My unit has the aluminum planking floor, extended deck on the back, and AC. It is very easy to tow and weighs about 950 pounds.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    autiger92 likes this.