KZ Escape 180rbt

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Ohiocamper13, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Ohiocamper13

Ohiocamper13 Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Anyone have any experience with a KZ Camper? We are looking to trade up to a Hybrid next year (maybe end of July when they are on sale) Im looking for the 3 bed pop outs and something I can haul with a mid SUV. I loved the one in the title and it was decent priced at $15,000 in July. Just wondering what rep they have. It had everything we needed for our family of 4. We just need more room & some luxuries that our pop up doesn't have since my DD is 13 & son is 10 now. Any advice/experience would help.

2. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    KZ sells very few hybrids, compared to other hybrid manufacturers.
    I've only seen less than 5 Escape owners, on the 6 hybrid forums I'm a member of.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I nearly bought the kz escape bunkhouse model. However because I tow in the mountains a lot I changed my mind as I didn't think my vehicle could handle it there. I made the right decision because my NTM pop up weighs just under what the escape was stated at and It struggles in the steep sections. Then again my TV is also my daily driver and I didn't want to put it in an early grave.

4. Bob Bourgeois

Bob Bourgeois "I'd rather be camping"

May 30, 2012
    Green Island, NY
    I have a 2012 KZ Coyote 20C that I bought used last year. It was very clean when I bought it and looked to have very little use. Previous to this I had A 2010 Jayco 17EXP. We looked to upgrade, because we didn't care for have to climb over the U-shaped couch to get into the front bunk. We also picked up a couch and dinette in the KZ. I also wanted to have a duel axle trailer for ease of towing (no sway). So far, it has been very good. I feel the construction is on par with the Jayco model we had. I am very pleased with the KZ.

Bob

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I have a 2015 kz spree escape 196 bunkhouse besides having to repair a. Bunch of striped screws, I am happy with it. Any trailers you buy will have some issues of sorts so far pleased with mine also

6. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    We have a 2014 Spree Escape E20RBT, which is the older model of the one you are looking at.

We bought it used this past spring and love it. We have some shelves in the wardrobe closet next to the fridge and use it as a pantry affording us a nice large spot to store our dry goods. The cupboard under the stove has bins in it which are AWESOME for keeping things organized and in place. The bunks are kind of short, so if you are taller than 6' you might feel cramped. Since none of us are, this camper has worked out great for us.

Hope this helps.

7. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We are looking at the exact same trailer. We are almost certain we are going to purchase it but we need to decide on a tow vehicle. What are you towing with?

8. Patrick McKinney

Patrick McKinney New Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I have a Sportsmen Classic 20RBT that I purchased in March. It is basically the same trailer you are looking at, just the older model of what you are looking for. It is the exact same floor plan and appliances, just not quite as nice finishes as the Escape. Kind of like Chevy vs GMC. Same trucks, but the GMC usually is a little nicer looking. Although the finishes aren't quite as nice, it is also several thousand cheaper. I towed it from Northeast Ohio to Boston, up to Maine, and back this summer. We also did some weekend trips. I towed it with a 2011 Chevy Traverse. I believe the tow rating on it is 5200#. I had four adults and two kids on the big trip and it did great.

The trailer towed great. I have had some minor issues that I have taken care of myself(Stripped screws, etc). There has been nothing worth taking it back to the dealer to get fixed under warranty.

The biggest issue I have with that trailer(same on the spree) is the lack of storage. There is very little room for clothing. I was able to add some storage inside to make it usable, but still wish I had more outside storage. That being said, when you want a trailer with three beds, but still light enough to tow with a mid SUV, you have to make some sacrifices.

For the storage, I added 3 of (Closetmaid 10230 Cubical Organizer) to the front of the trailer. 2 are above the couch and 1 is above the dinette closest to the front. I use cloth cubical bins in them. I put I hooks and bungee cords across the front for when we are moving. IF you do this, I would just say, make sure you have them secured to the studs.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F7QEGY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the back I used a piece of wire closetmaid shelving flipped upside down and mounted above the side foldout bed. I was then able to find bins that ride nicely on that shelf. This more than doubled my clothing storage and we can all comfortably take what we need now. Typically it is just my family of 4, but even when we had 6, we had enough clothing storage.
    I can try to take some pictures if you need some storage ideas. I am going to be using it this weekend and was hoping to use some of that time to document everything I have done to the trailer.

As far as time to purchase, I see that your username is "Ohiocamper13". My dad sold campers for quite a few years. He always said when he was selling, the absolute best deals on trailers where at the Cleveland RV Show held at the IX Center in January every year. If you are really interested in one for next year, it would be worth going to that show. We missed the show last year, but was still lucky enough to get a good deal on the old model year.

9. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thanks for your post! I'm glad to see that you tow yours with a midsize SUV. My DH and I are really tossing it back and forth as I've read a lot of posts from people who don't recommend towing a TT with a midsize SUV.

10. Patrick McKinney

Patrick McKinney New Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Ya, I saw those same posts when I was thinking of getting a trailer. They are all people that already own a full size truck or $80,000 SUV that just isn't in my budget. The Traverse I towed with has the factory tow package and break controller. If they didn't want you to tow with a mid-size SUV, they wouldn't offer a tow package with it and rate it at 5200 pounds.

All that being said, just be responsible. Make sure you have a heavy duty transmission cooler on your SUV(factory tow package for the chevy comes with one). Don't buy a trailer that is at your tow capacity limit. My trailer when purchased was 2,000 pounds under the tow capacity. I'm not saying you have to be that much under, but you need to keep in mind everything you are hauling. You have to include anything that you haul in the car including people, plus everything you put in the trailer (cloths, food, water, chairs, etc) when figuring out how much capacity you need. I also personally use a weight distributing hitch with sway control and make sure that any heavy items are packed in front of the axles of the trailer. I generally tow it dry to keep the weight down unless I am going to a local state park that doesn't have full hookups. Even then, they have a place to fill up water when you get there, but when I am within 2 hours I would rather just fill up at home.

On my trip I had one steep mountain that I had to slow down to about 45mph going up. Other than that I was able to keep up with traffic with no issue. I'm not saying I would want to tow up the Rockies with my current setup, but anything east of that should be doable.

Rinstah likes this.
  11. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Thanks! We are looking at the 180RBT and have test drive a Pathfinder, 4Runner, Santa Fe XL and a Highlander. We want to love the Pathfinder but just didn't find the seats comfortable. We are leaning towards the Toyota Highlander. Tows 5000lbs so we should be safe.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Can't speak for the Highlander. However my 03 v6 4 Runner does not allow a weight distribution hitch. So before you buy your vehicle, be sure you check into this. Also check to see if there is a frontal area limitation on the vehicle. Even though you can tow with a midweight SUV there are a few more things you have to pay attention to in addition to weight.

Rinstah likes this.