Lake Erie Region Rally , Geneva State Park Ohio

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by vagov, Oct 3, 2016.

dates to poll for our 2017 rally

Poll closed Nov 2, 2016.
  1. JULY 7-9 2017

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. JULY 21-23 2017

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  3. AUG 11-13 2017

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Looking at the extended weather for the rally, it is looking good! Hopefully the forcast will stay true, but either way we will have a great time, dave I too looked at the web, and sites are coming up first come , first serve . not sure if those sites rebooked, I would suggest calling or taking your chances on a walk in site if you are still interested in coming, hope to see you there. If anyone has a extra table or ez up, please bring, just in case

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Just thinking about the upcoming rally, and found a roll of Un used strip tickets at home, so got me thinking. Depending on the interest or not, to hold a 50/50 raffle on Saturday after the potluck. Dosent have to be expensive, keep it pretty simple, a few dollars and since there is no profit to be made we can split the pot and have 2 winners!, I will bring the roll with me just in case and we can determine if we want to try this or not. Looking foward to meeting and seeing both new and old again

Salandrew and Novarich like this.
  3. phager76

phager76 Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Sounds like fun to me!

4. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Hi there, since this is my first Rally I want to make sure I'm getting things right!
    I see the planned events are Friday 7PM Meet and Greet and Saturday 6PM potluck. Site is TBD?
    For Friday, I should bring chairs and any personal snack and beverages - correct?

Also for Saturday, how many dishes should I bring and what quantity?
    I'm assuming we each bring our own personal beverages, and chairs of course.

Am I headed in the right direction? Thanks!

Also, my daughter is still in a wedding that weekend, so I'm still figuring out if she will be camping with me for part of the rally, or staying behind. The wedding is Sunday at 1PM so I will have to scoot early Sunday morning. :(

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Yep, you got it right, Friday night is meet and greet at whoever campsite it happens at. So tbd. Bring. Folding chairs and personal drink, we sit around a fire and get to know each other, snacks are optional, I may make a few mountain pies, if anybody wants one. Saturday, you can do something as a group, or individual. During the day, what ever you are most comfortable with. A lot to do, some may go to the beach, some may go to the boardwalk, some may just chill whatever. Then we get back together around 6pm for a potluck dinner, and small door prize raffle. We will also be having a 50/50 raffle with two winners. Check out a old thread called"what to expect as I first timer" a little long, but good read that explains a rally pretty much. I will try to toward , as I am mobile though right now. Hope you daughter can make it if possible, no problem leaving early Sunday early. See you soon. John

6. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you! I did check out the thread. I just want to plan more specifically for what to contribute to the potluck - how many dishes and what quantity?

7. phager76

phager76 Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    My general rule of thumb is to bring the equivalent of what you'd need to feed your family/group. Personally I always bring way more then I have to, but that leaves more options and any one who wants to try some has the opportunity.

Really getting excited about this! I haven't had an extended camping trip since October!

8. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Just a few more days and it'll be rally time. So glad it's a 4 day work week this week. We still (that would be my DW) haven't figured out what we're doing for the potluck.
    Thursday can't come fast enough, we should be arriving by 7:30 if all goes well.
    Looking forward to meeting up with everyone.

Sbradley this is a great group to start your rally experience with. We went to John's first rally he held and have been coming ever since. These people are an amazing group. It'll be fun and we'll have a great meal on Saturday. Like Pat said, general rule is bring what you would for your family. Many of us go a little overboard.

See you all soon.

Rob

9. trudger

trudger Trudging the road of happy destiny.

May 25, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi All -

This is my first Rally as well. Looking forward to a great weekend with great people. This will also be my first time out this season. Can't come soon enough.

I think a 50/50 sounds like fun...especially if I win.

I'll be arriving on Friday mid-morning...staying until Monday.

Thinking about Buffalo Chicken Dip for the covered dish...maybe Broccoli Cheese Casserole.

See yinz soon!

Trudger (David) Site #10

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Sounds good. Everyone, just got home from Erie PA. Good time, great weather , 4 days and I return trip to the Ohio side. Can't believe how much beach erosion there was though, stayed at Sara's campground at presque, half the beach was gone. Owner said with all the receipt rain, all locks and dams are closed, nobody taking water downstream from the lake, high tides, but fun to swim in, water was bath tub warm also. Wife is trying to get Friday off work, so still plan,ing on Thursday evening arrival, unless I come solo, then I will be there early Thursday. Talk soon.

11. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm considering coming out and setting up Thursday evening myself. I work Friday and it will save me from rushing around. Looking forward to my first rally.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. Salandrew

Salandrew Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Bolivar, PA
    So excited about the weekend!!! Love it up at The Lake! I think we figured out what we are contributing to the Saturday smorgasbord. Pasta salad and a s'mores dessert, if I can find graham crackers without canola oil!! Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting the newbies!

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Sounds good

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Talking with a guy from another forum I belong to, he lives in the Andover O area, not camping, but plans on stopping by to say hello, may also contribute to the potluck and have dinner with us

15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Besides canola oil, is there any other food allergies or restrictions we need. To consider for the potluck?

16. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Allergy... my daughter us allergic to peanuts. She can be around them just can't eat them so just let us know if something you made so trains nuts.

John, I have an extra table I can bring, unfortunately my ezup didn't fair to well in a storm a couple camping trips ago so no extra tent.

Still trying to figure out what we're doing for the potluck, we have something going on Saturday do we're looking for something that is quick in case we get back later than planned.

3 more work days left!!! Not that I'm counting or anything. :)

Salandrew likes this.
  17. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    We will bring calico beans for the potluck.

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Fridays meet and greet looks promising. But we may be dodging a few rain drops on saturday

19. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    In Ohio we say "if you don't like the weather, stick around, it'll change" Geneva and the Ashtabula area have a tendance of catching the brunt of the weather. Fingers crossed

crosbys2008 likes this.
  20. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    In Erie we can experience all 4 seasons in one day. Hopefully not so for the next couple of months!!