Lake Taghanik State Park NY

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by tex02, Jul 27, 2013.

1. tex02

tex02 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 2005 TrailManor 3023

Our first trip here, boondocking and loving it, this is a real nice park. Here are a couple of pics of our site.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tex02

Well we got our last trip in for the season before we winterize. We spent the weekend at Lake Taghanik, it was a beautiful weekend, we even got some apple picking in...can't wait for spring :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tex

3. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=94380.0

Your site looks farmiliar ;) T-03

We book that site at least 3-4 times each summer. Its surrounded on 3 sides by woods, is far enough from the road that i can park the car to block the kiddos, and i love the ameneties at that park. I realize this thread is OLD, but we will be there Memorial day weekened, and 2 other weekends this summer :)

4. tex02

Hi AlcHemiE, yes the last few pics are t-03 and the first set are t-01, we liked t-03 also, it's kinda out of the way and I was able to run my Honda generator and nobody could hear or see it [:D]. We have been going to Lake Taghanik for the past few years with the pup, unfortunately we now have a trailmanor and it's way too big for the park [:(]. Welcome to the board and happy camping!! Maybe we will run into each other at a campsite!!!! :)

Tex

5. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

Cool! I figured this thread was dead when I posted in it, but couldn't resist guessing that site, as its one of our favorites. We mostly camp in the area, maybe we'll run into one another one day ;) happy camping!

6. BeachBound

BeachBound New Member

Love the pics and the description. We'll have to try that park. We mostly have done the CT state parks because there so close and nice. Now that the kidlets are getting g a little older were going to try some parks in NY.

7. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

I don't know where in CT you are, but lake tagkanic is in eastern Columbia county, which without checking the map I would image is only 30 minutes from CT. We will be there next Thursday through Tuesday for Memorial Day weekend, site t-03 :)

8. BeachBound

BeachBound New Member

We're based in Westchester and just frequent the CT state parks since many are close to home (and my favorites have ocean beach access [8D]).

But we've decided to start exploring more NYS state parks. This one is definitely been added to the list! Looks like it's about an hour and half from us. We also have a reservation at Hearthstone Point later this summer.

How is the beach and lake water at Lake Taghanik? Our kids love the water but not if it has too much vegetation (a problem at Fahnestock - in addition to the crowds).

9. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

The water at the beach is very nice, clear (not crystal clear like the Caribbean, but like any other lake), with little fish that my older son (3.5) loves to chase and try to catch. The beach itself is pretty large, so other than holiday weekends its not terribly crowded. The spots under the trees go fast, so if you plan to be at the beach all day, i'd suggest going there early to nab a shady spot. I'll try to get some pics and post them here, but i tend to leave my cell phone in the glove box as my wife says im addicted to work even when im not there, lol.

Don’t know how old your little ones are but they also have two very nice playgrounds, both built in the last couple years. the Largest one is essentially on the Beach, and other smaller (but decent sized) is down the hill from the CG loops.

Just one thing to keep in mind, the main entrance is off the Taconic state parkway, which is the directions any GPS will take you. I'm sure you're aware being a Westchester resident that trailers are forbidden on parkways, so you'll have to use the back entrance to the park off route 82. Just something to keep in mind so you don’t have to backtrack 15 miles when your GPS suddenly tells you to get on the Taconic state parkway 1/2 miles from the entrance. [:D]

10. BeachBound

BeachBound New Member

Thanks for the tips! Mine all still love a playground. [8D] We have a range from 9-2, so a playground is a bonus. We're still shopping for our Pup so we're used to traveling without restriction. Good reminder that we'll have to start thinking about alternate routes that don't include parkways.

Hope you have a great time Memorial Day weekend! So far the forecast is looking pretty good. [SUN]