Laminant cutting

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by SgtRon, Nov 6, 2018.

1. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    OK, gang...time to put on your thinking caps! I saw a post the other day that showed converting a cabinet into a nighttime toilet. (When you're over 70, those 3 or 4 bathroom runs to the camp's toilets are an extreme hassle). I picked up a cassett camping toilet that will fit perfectly. My problem is cutting the laminated countertop to allow access to sit (don't want to stand and try to aim in the dark...lol). Has anyone had experience in cutting laminated countertops with out chipping the heck out of the laminant? Here's the photo that got me thinking.
    Screenshot_20181025-150831.png

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You need a fine blade. They make blades just for laminate It helps to put a piece of masking tape on the laminate and draw your line on the tape.

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I actually cut through the tape, then hand router with a laminate bit. If you really want to get fancy, you can add laminate tape to the edges.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    As described place tape down and use a fine blade on a skil saw, I also have a hand held laminate cutter that I use and it works well too and does not chip the laminate.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ues to all ,also good saw, not battery powered, and rev it up to full speed before cutting.

xxxapache likes this.
  6. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    You may be able to find a jig saw blade with teeth that cut on the down-stroke instead of the up-stroke. This will keep the laminate from chipping on the top side. i wouldn't expect to find these at Home Depot or Lowes but you never know. You may have to try a more specialized shop or ask at your local countertop shop.

7. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    UPDATE: I bought a new Porter Cable high speed jig saw ans a DeWalt 20 teeth per inch laninate blade. Masking taped off the area and cut, letting the saw do the work, no pushing by me (so to speak). The resultant was perfection! I am now installing braces to shore up the surrounding areas.

Attached Files:

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Good for you! A laminate bit in a router is a great tool to own if you happen across one, ftr.

9. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    This cut looked better than some of the pro jobs I've seen!

10. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    UPDATE: I have finished my toilet addition to our 2003 Starcraft 2410L and am thrilled with how it came out. It actually looks like a factory installation, only better!!! I'll take a pic tomorrow when it's light out.

Sjm9911 and Mongo71 like this.
  11. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Glad you figured it out and are having no problems. Send a picture of the finished product.

12. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    As promised, here are a few pictures of my finished project. On the right is my camping toolbox (a repurposed attache) held in place with a bungee cord. On the left, is a shelf for TP and whatever other stuff may or may not be required. I put in cross pieces to help support the countertop in the down position, these are braced with 2x4's on all 4 corners. Also not visible is the frame that I built on the floor, to prevent the toilet from moving around. The night time toilet runs (between midnite and 5am) were the only things that we didn't like about pup camping, now we got that covered!

Attached Files:

13. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Nice.

14. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    Nice job. Cutting laminate can be a nightmare, but you mastered it.

15. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Groveton, NH
    Awesome job! I’ve been wondering where to find the space to put one in our tiny pup. I now need to look at just how small they are made but you have given me hope.

Mongo71 likes this.
  16. budlight

budlight Member

Mar 20, 2013
    Nice setup! Looks very professional

Mongo71 likes this.
  17. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    Just be sure to measure your available space so you buy the correct cassett toilet. They come in all sizes. When you get ready to make your countertop cuts, be sure to use a laminant sawblade (at least 20 teeth/inch). Tape the area to reduce the propensity of the laminate to chip, and go very slowly, let the tool do the work. Everything else is pretty staightforward. Good luck!

Flipped in NH likes this.
  18. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You did an excellent job, looks really good and professional. Give yourself a pat on the back for sure. Are you going to put a curtain around the cassette toilet ? The ladies like privacy :)

19. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Florida
    Negative, this head facility will only be used for the zero-dark thirty pee breaks where darkness provides the privacy.

20. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I too have a nicer-than-I-need jig saw purchased for a laminate project. I have loved it ever since.

This looks pretty good. I assume you plan on adding a TP-holder. :)