Latest trends in single axle trailers and cuv towing is alarming

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by PaThacker, Jun 14, 2018.

1. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Be careful out there. ‘Tis the season of overweight tow vehicles and fake tow ratings. Just yesterday passed a 2008 Chevy equinox 2000 pound rated towing a 3100 dry/3790 gvw Starcraft satelite 16fk.

It will not be the first time we see these as manufactures continue to make these crappy full height and width single axle travel trailers. On rv tips on Facebook someone posted a cuv with hitch bending off towing a stick and tin single axle trailer. I’ve also seen some that are 20 feet long that are towed with minivans et al. This is not related to pups, only relate to r pods, single axle TT like 18bh et al.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    WVhillbilly, J Starsky and NMroamer like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I don't blame the trailers, in fact I'm glad smaller trailers are finally coming out more. No, I blame the dealers. Dealers who sell the camper only by dry weight alone. Dealers who only see the money sign behind their eyes and push the big campers on cars that have no business towing them. Dealers who lie in order to make a sale. We've been burned by that ourselves sadly as did our car which died way before her time before. We trusted the dealer to give us accurate information as it was our first time owning a camper and didn't know better. One would have thought the professionals will be able to educate, but no. Scary part is, it's not just one or two dealers, but nearly all of them. There may be a few good ones, but they are few. They are putting families at risk. I only hope these families realize before it's too late and buy a car better able to handle the weight.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    How do you know the Equinox was only rated for 2,000 lbs? It could be rated up to 3,500. So the Starcraft would still be very close, but may barely squeak in under the limit.

I also saw the one you mentioned on Facebook and based on the photos, I don’t agree that the hitch was “half ripped off” as he said. They certainly needed a WDH, but still probably squeaked under the limits.

4. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I saw the base equinox. 2008 to be exact with hub caps and cloth. 2000 pound rated. If that. And seeing the hitched ripped out of cuv is laughable as is the rash of blown transMissions. People saying the 3000 pound camper was fine. Too bad it’s 3100 empty 3600 full and carries 300 pounds on the hitch. Some have crappy tanks and others have no walkable roof with ac sticking out the sides. I warn all to give wide bearths to the newbies with those travel trailers.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Let me add a cuv et al car whatever has 1500 to 3500 pound ratings designed for utility trailers and small boats. How many watched inside edition this week with a family of 8 in a Chevy Tahoe? They we’re towing a utility trailer with tent gear. Lost control of Tahoe once utility trailer started to sway. Tried recorrecting and tapped a pickup. Then flipped off road and killed both parents. Those 6 kids will now be firm believers in payload ratings and not believe in fake tow ratings.

6. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Ten years ago with our 5.3 V8 6100 tow rating trailblazer shorty We were 100 pounds from exceeding gross combined weight rating There is not one cuv in ten years as cabable of this truck and it was at its limits with a 12 foot pup

One jerk of wheel,sneeze whatever the train would start to sway Had e rated tires and beefed up trans coolers ect The cuv today have no business even pulling into a camper dealership unless buying a class c , b, or a DA580C5B-3A82-47E2-8558-DF18C100E73B.jpeg

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.
  7. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Camping world posts on FB ad nauseam single axle trailers. Latest post is a pioneer 180RB. Let’s hear the cuv rated for that stick and tin.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This accident had nothing to do with tow ratings. It's quite disrespectful to accuse this man, who is not here to defend himself, of putting his family in danger by overloading.

He was well underweight and the accident was more the fault of the driver of the truck behind them. What kind of person tries to speed past a situation like that, not breaking or moving over so they could re-enter the roadway?

Rant all you want about an Equinox trying to tow anything. Yes, that's ridiculous. But, don't try to include this tragedy as an example, because it isn't.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Pa... I do tend to agree. More and more, I see large expandables and small travel trailers being pulled by Town & Country's, Traverses, Cherokees, etc. It boggles my mind! I have a truck that is rated to tow like 11k lbs... I am now pulling about 6k and really glad it's not more!

10. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    T
    Thats why we refer to them as “Sales Scum”

11. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    The Tahoe accident was caused by loading every seat in a Tahoe and try to tow. Most Tahoe have 1300 pound payload and fake 8000 pound tow rating. They lost control easily while pulling a utility trailer. Parents are dead. Pickup truck had nothing to do with it. They hit the poor guy and deflected off the road.

I don’t advise Tahoe towing any camper but popups.

12. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Best part is Chevy traverse’s 2000 pound rating. Slap uhaul hitch on it and it’s still 2000 pound rated.
    All I see on roads are normally fifth wheel, class c/b and the cuv crowd with the out of control travel trailers. They should have gotten a pup and learn what happens when a flat occurs or sway event.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  13. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I’ve driven 3500 series dual wheel with 12,000 pound trailer on bumper with wdh. It swayed at 45mph. Fix. Upped the truck to 6500 series. No more sway.

14. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    The entire CUV trend is alarming. :)

15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    That’s really no better than what you’re ranting about. Rather than actually fixing the problem with the trailer, you just throw a bandaid on it in the form of a bigger truck.

Now this I agree with. So many people would be better off with a car, van, or really, a wagon :eek: which is all most of these new CUVs are, only with worse utility, worse mileage, and more expensive. The American market has shouted that they don’t want hatchbacks and wagons, but they have proven that they actually do by what they buy.

crackerJack likes this.
  16. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Very few nice station wagons sold in the US these days.
    None of them are cheap or really able to tow.

17. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Actually there are a ton, they’re just jacked up a couple inches and handicapped. But you’re a hazard to society if you tow with a CUV anyway. ;)

There aren’t many wagons available to buy because Americans have proven that they won’t buy them, so the automakers won’t waste money building them. It’s a never ending cycle. I passed a VW Sportwagen on my way to work this morning and got a little jealous.

18. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    My wife had a Volvo V70.
    It was awesome, when I wasn't working on it
    I'll never own another Euro car outside of warranty again.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I don’t like the styling either. They all look the same. Boring.
    Big SUV’s are shrinking and styled like CUV’s. Even mini vans are now identical except the sliding door.

20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    We just aren't allowed to call them station wagons anymore lol! They are too cool now so they're called sporty utility vehicles or cross overs or sexy flyers (bad take on Radio Flyer)... they're Station Wagons people!! Looks like Buick just brought one back too (but I'm sure it's called something really special) [:D]

crackerJack likes this.