Leaf springs

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Alloutdrs1, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Virginia Beach, VA
    2000 Jayco qwest and I need to replace my leafsprings. One leaf pack has a cracked leaf, where is everyone sourcing new leafs? I would prefer something American made if possible.

Thanks!

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    eTrailer has them. I don't know the country or origin.

4. Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looks like they are from China, and they only have a 4leaf in my size. Mine are 3leaf, would bumping it up to a 4 leaf matter?

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    How much difference in weigh capacity is there between the two springs? I would not use the 4 leaf springs if there was over a 500lb difference between the pair.. A spring that is too stiff will only beat you trailer up as there will be less give in the spring, a harder jar when hitting something

I would check Eastern Marine for the needed springs or Tractor supply

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  6. Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I am not sure what the original ones are rated at. The axle rating is 2k, so are the leafs 1k each? Not sure how it works on a trailer. You would think there would be a site you can go on and input your info to order springs.

7. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I get mine from a local spring shop. they should be able to sell you an individual leaf if you want to replace only the broken leaf.

8. Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I located a local spring shop that I'm going to look into. I also located this place online

https://trailerparts.com/products/s...ring-similar-to-una220-dexter-072-024-00.html

I measured them on the trailer and got around 26" eye to eye but I am thinking they are 25 1/4 as that what seems to match up to my specs better. They are probably sagged due to use and age, I am going to just replace both and be done with it and not worry.

Now does anyone know if the axle is rated 2000lbs, do I select a 2k rated spring or are the springs 1k each?

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes you need 1000 lbs per side if you Axle is rated for 2000lbs.

10. Alloutdrs1

Alloutdrs1 New Member

Nov 8, 2017
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks! I kept seeing them rated at 1k and 2k matching up to my measurements so I wasn't sure.