Leak in the Regulator

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by PopUpSteve, Jun 1, 2019.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

While a driving down a wooded back road on my way to the Vermont rally last year, I heard a bang of something hitting metal. I pulled over and found one of those large round nuts (larger than a golf ball but smaller than a baseball) lodged between my propane tanks. I didn't think much of it but later on my trip, when I switched from one tank to the other, I could smell propane. So I've just been using the left side tank since that trip until I could determine the problem. I thought it may have damaged the valve on the right side tank.

I brought the camper home today to give it a good cleaning and finally did the "soapy water" test on the valves, hoses, and regulator. The falling nut must have hit the right side of the regulator and caused a fracture in the housing. (see link to video below)

So now I have to replace the regulator. If I had kept the cover on the tanks this probably would not have been damaged. And I should have the cover on to protect the lines from Sun damage as well. Oh well, lesson learned. [B)]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pc5otkyfyj3htw3/Leak in Regulator.MOV?dl=0

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

So far, the dual tanks, and auto changeover regulator have done well on both the pup and TT. The one on the TT is installed so that it faces the front wall, which is some protection. Not 100% of course. We had no LP cover for the pup, and the one for the TT is just too bulky. It interfered with the sway bar attachment and just won't fit on now that we have dual 6v batteries.
    We changed to the stainless braided pigtails a couple of years ago. This spring, I had a leak in the brass connector on one pigtail (one that rotates, not the connector to the tank), and the other pigtail clogged, so we now have a new set.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The main reason I took the cover off is because I'm using the Viking fiberglass propane tanks which are great but a tiny bit bigger (diameter wise) than steal tanks so a normal cover is really snug. So it's very difficult to get the covers on and off, like my pants after a pot luck PUP Rally dinner. [:D][LOL][LOL]

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You got lucky you smelled the propane, there is so many other ways that could have went down.

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Good catch.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

After you have replaced the regulator, have a propane lockdown preformed. This will tell of any leaks, no matter how small

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Glad you found it before a much worse problem came out of the leak. Most regulators are easy to replace. BTW how good are the new fiberglass tanks ?
    Just goes to show that no matter how hard we try stuff still happens. Wonder where the nut came from and what it was used on ? Good Luck with the repair and keep on camping

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

By “nut” I mean the type that comes off a tree. I think it was thrown by a bunch of young squirrels having fun at someone else’s expense.

9. Sjm9911

Was it this guy? the-weightlifting-squirrel-big.jpg

PopUpSteve likes this.
  10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

It may have even been a fully laden African Swallow, I don't know.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

"What, A swallow carrying a coconut? "