Leave No Trace Program

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by Idahawk, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Apr 1, 2011
    For those interested there is a series of educational volumes/paperback books covering outdoor skills and ethics . The program has been around for a while but if your not familiar with it its worth your time to read or send off for the info, its free as far as I know.

www.lnt.org ( not sure why this would not create a link sorry )

The books are area specific covering most of the US as well as topics for back country horse use and rock climbing .

Having just returned from some pristine wilderness and then visiting some well used campgrounds I can tell you that some people need to learn what taking care of our resources is all about.

2. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Franklin, NC
    Agreed!

3. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    X2

Campit

4. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

Nov 14, 2010
    [SUN] I agree. I do wish that our Rangers here in the Jemez District of NM would promote Leave No Trace. Some of our camping areas have been very abused.

5. MtKayak1

MtKayak1 New Member

Nov 23, 2012
    When our fellow " HUMANS " litter our forests, streams,roadways OUR shared areas , IMO, shows the world that they have NO RESPECT for anyone. Respect has been lost from culture today. Maybe this a statement about our culture as a whole. Who Knows.I have not seen any comericals lately about not littering, as those that were aired in years past. It would be good to see more respect in our culture. When the family breaks down our culture suffers. I do think that we, as a people, are destroying ourselves. ........ MtKayak

6. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Boy Scouts practice this for every event they (we ) do. TYo the point where we either bring out fire pit or dig one and cover it up when we leave.

I have seen some sites look like we were never there :D

Jerry in MA

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    And we (Scouts) have left some sites that showed we were there - in better condition than we found them.

It does take everyone to keep the environment in good shape. It only takes one to ruin it.

8. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    Two exception:

1. Prehistorics

2. past natives

9. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

Oct 25, 2012
    AND we perform service projects to do various things. The last one was at salisbury state park in MA where we cleaned up the boat launch and beach asfter Sandy blew through.

10. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    It's been a while for this one but I just came across it [RTM] [RTM] [RTM]

A good read and one that was in my curriculum during college...A Sand County Almanac, Aldo Leopold.
    [RTM] [RTM] [RTM]
    If you enjoy the preservational and conservational efforts made, gained, and still fighting toward and for, this is a book for you! [CP] [:)C]

I encourage everyone to read thru a leave no trace pamphlet and find just one thing different they might be able to do or modify that will lessen their impact on the environment we share.
    [RTM] [RTM] [RTM]

Have a great 2016 Season everyone!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I agree more people need to read this policy, but I find a lot of people just don't care. It's extremely sad. [:(]. So I try to make up for it by making my campsite cleaner than what I found it and if hiking on a trail will pick up any trash found. I also participate in our annual water cleanup with my kayak group. Amazing how much trash I pick up. Sadly it doesn't appear my niece's girl scout troop knows about this no trace left behind so trying to teach her myself. [:!]

12. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    jmkay1 Thank You!!
    We do the same, usually clean up prior and after but always after [{:)]
    Kudos to you for taking part in your annual water clean up drive!!! We have a similar Trailway/canal way drive here and most towns and areas have as well!! [:D] [:)C]
    With our boys, 4 & 6, we try to do and sometimes need only to do, is use the always prevalent and constant trail trash or floating plastic bergs as teachable moments, moments of example and moments of personal reflection.
    We are selfish and want the planet safer and cleaner for our boys.

https://lnt.org/

I threw this link in for anyone who may want to glance over what LNT, Leave No Trace is.

We are waiting for fall, 1st grade, and our 6 year old can join the scouts here in town. I would like to assume if the scouts don't teach it, they surely must instill like practices and skills in their core. We are all looking forward to scouts and with our family camping experience we hope he will practice what he knows as best he can and perhaps while having fun will help others apply some practices as well [:D] [:)C] [CP] just like his folks [CP]

Keep it Light. Keep it Simple. Keep it Fun!!!

13. 2ndchance

2ndchance Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Between my parents and the Boy Scouts I was taught always to leave a campsite cleaner than when I arrived. It never fails that I find evidence of campers who disrespect the environment. My last trip I probably picked up a case worths of beer and wine cooler bottle caps from prior campers.

14. 87ColemanLaramie

87ColemanLaramie Member

Apr 27, 2015
    NJ
    You can choose to USE something only for yourself or SHARE it so others can enjoy it too. Our entire planet is not a garbage dump, we have places for trash. Nothing ruins a relaxing walk in the woods more than finding empty or broken bottles or trash on the trail. If you carry it in, carry it out!

15. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We teach the LNT to our troop as well. When I was backpacking with the scouts we (the leaders) strongly taught LNT. We did not have campfires though when we backpacked. Teaching them to stay on the trails, meadow walk when there are no trails and pickup trash when they see it. If the tents were set up on grass, they were taught to fluff up the grass before we moved on. If they see something interesting along the way "Leave it" so others can see and enjoy it.

16. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Interesting thought - if they had practiced LNT, we would know very little about the ancients.

Orchid likes this.
  17. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I agree... As Eagle Scout Parents, we understand the value of the LNT program.

LNT should always be practiced in maintaining a pristine camping environment and for many generations to come. It's something we (scouting families) can demonstrate to other non scouting families that camp nearby.

We take a propane fire pit for camp fires to lessen our impact when camping and because of the dry dangerous conditions found in the AZ environment. It keeps the environment clean and safe.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

18. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    I came across the LNT program when it was just getting introduced back in the mid 90's. I took a semester course with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) that essentially dropped us off in the wilderness of Wyoming, Utah and Colorado for weeks at a time. We'd meet at a determined spot on the map and get picked up and taken back to the NOLS base in Lander, WY. Then we'd take a shower, repack more food and head out again for another 3-4 weeks. One of the best experiences I've ever had. Still use those same LNT principals today. It's good stuff.

Miller likes this.
  19. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I began camping with my family as a 1-year-old and have camped ever since--with my family, friends, and Girl Guides. Over the past 30 years, I have had the great pleasure to have taken hundreds of 13-15 year-olds camping and canoeing. Our mantra has always been:
    'Take only pictures. Leave only footprints.'

Of course, it has always been understood that we take out trash left behind by others!

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I was taught this by my parents, who I camped with since I was born. Back then it wasn't a "program," it was just respect - for all earth, nature, and future generations. My kids were taught the same. Unfortunately, my grandchildren are not being taught as well and I can't blame everything on the "other" parent, but my own grown children as well. I'm just not sure what happened.

Strawhouse likes this.