LED Light Conversion (review)

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Dubbya, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Not so much a mod since all I did was replace seven 1141 incandescent bulbs with 200 lumen "Natural Light" 6500K "Revolution" series LED's by Star Lights.

[​IMG]

They're certainly bright enough and do make reading a lot easier but the DW said it best when she described them as "institutional" compared to the incandescent bulbs.

I did appreciate that they fit the sockets and fixtures perfectly and like the fact that they can be rotated to light up specific areas as well. Most impressive is the fact that the seven lights I replaced use about the same amount of power as ONE 1141 incandescent. Definitely a well thought out product!

The fixture on the left is using 1141 incandescent bulbs while the fixture on the right has been converted to LED's.

[​IMG]

Both fixtures converted to LED

[​IMG]

Patio light with the stock 1141 incandescent:

[​IMG]

Patio light converted to LED:

[​IMG]

While paying $24.99 each for "warm white" LED bulbs just wasn't going to happen, I still wanted a quality bulb that was simple to install and that would be able to handle voltage fluctuations while running on AC or DC. These "Revolution" bulbs are rated to handle between 8 and 30 volts without burning out so that's definitely a load off considering the MSRP and what RV dealers charge for them.

Like many who are considering switching to LED lights, the cost is definitely prohibitive but searching eBay, I stumbled across a Canadian vendor selling them in lots of 12 with 2 of the Star Lights fused relays (used to install motion sensing light fixtures) included, free expedited shipping (Canada Post) and "Best Offer" pricing. I paid $123.00 CDN for the lot.

Although they don't cast the cozy, warm light we're used to, we'll learn to live with them. I've been wanting to go off the grid for a couple of years now so it'll be nice to have more flexibility in the sites we choose next year and not have to rely on a massive battery bank just to power the creature comforts we've come to enjoy.

All in all, if your able to find a good deal on the "warm white" bulbs in and around 250 lumens, I'd recommend that you snag some.

If you want more information on the Star Lights bulbs head down to their website and poke around. Each of their product pages has a product video as well.

Here's the product page: http://www.starlightsinc.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2

Be sure to look for deals on similar lights carrying the "Ming's Mark" brand as well.

2. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Nice product review. Thanks for posting it.

We have been considering replacing our 4 incandescent fixtures with LED fixtures. I always admired the energy savings of replacement 'bulbs', but was unsure of the relative heat output. I don't want to melt the incandescent fixture lenses.

Are the LEDs comparable to incandescent in the amount of heat they produce?

3. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I think the LED's run cooler than the old bulbs but I could be wrong. One would think energy consumption would have a correlation to heat output.

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    There's absolutely no comparing a quality LED versus incandescent bulbs where heat is concerned. They run VERY cool to the touch so it's not of any concern.

Mileage may vary with different LED bulbs but regardless, they're still not going to get as hot as an incandescent.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The LED conversion was one of the first things we did with the Cobalt. Since we usually dry camp, the power savings are very important. The only light we decided we should have left as it was is the outdoor light. We seldom use it, but the LED at eye level in that light seemed a bit too stark when we did need it. Even though we didn't think we'd use that light, I had converted it to LED because it was not on the galley cut-off switch, so it is was switched on when things were closed up, it could drain the battery if we didn't notice it on.

Thanks for the review, I've been reading them since the new TT has half a dozen or more bulbs on the interior and we will be changing those out to LEDs immediately. We'll wait on the outside lights until we see which ones we use and whether they are used enough to change out.

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Right on, kit! I hear what you're saying with regard to the patio light but the Revolution bulbs are adjustable. I just rotated the light panel and aimed it down a bit. Perfect.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We didn't have the option of lamps that rotate when we got that bulb. The porch light on the TT is at the top of the door, but there are others to light the various work areas (hitch, and a couple of others), so those might benefit from the ones that rotate. We'll see what we may need. The TT will be a learning experience, but we really try not to have to do outside tasks in the dark.

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I was looking at the tower bulbs too and strongly considering them since they tend to be easier to find in "Warm White" 3000K to 4000K color temperatures but read that they need reflectors in the ceiling fixtures to force more light down. Not a huge issue or anything and they seem to be less expensive as well, so overall, they seem like a good choice.