LED recommendations for 2004 Fleetwood

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by Melz5000, May 15, 2017.

1. Melz5000

Melz5000 New Member

May 15, 2017
    Hi there!

We are getting started on popup renovations. Anyone replace their lighting with LED? Have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Melz5000

2. RetAF

RetAF Member

Apr 22, 2010
    We replaced our lights with LEDs four years ago and it is perhaps the best mod we've done. The ones I bought from Amazon are no longer available, but look for 12 volt LEDs that are "warm white". Get the correct base.

3. p

p Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Just pull out one of your bulbs...look for a number and Google it. Amazon has the deals for you. I agree...get warm white.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Replaced most of the lights in the TT with LEDs ordered off Ebay direct from China, took a couple months to get them (free shipping) but changed out 95% of the bulbs at a fraction of the price of other online retailers.

5. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Just replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs from Amazon.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs last July. Went to Walmart to get a few things and found them in the Automotive section. Reasonably priced. I also replaced the taillights and porch light with an amber LED

7. R+K

R+K Member

May 17, 2016
    Iowa
    We also have a 2004 Fleetwood (Redwood). I have the same question. I don't want to replace the whole light, because we have ports in them that we use for the bunk lights / fans, plus the lights are really nice quality. So it is good to read that we can just replace the light bulbs! I will try Walmart.

8. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
  9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I've been watching you all do the LED upgrade for a long time now and I have to ask. Unless you're on a battery, is there any compelling reason to convert to LED? We nearly always have shore power and when we don't, we just use flashlights and lanterns. Is the light any better? Is there any reason to upgrade in a p'up without a battery?

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The old bulbs (incandescent) had that yellowish glow. The LEDs are a bright white light and they light the pup up much better. They also do not get as hot as the old ones. If you are on battery they use a lot less power.

If you don't have a battery then you not saving anything. But it is brighter!! [SUN]

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I bought mine on Amazon, and found an LED that had the same warm light that an incandescent would have. I do not camp with a battery - I always camp with hookups. However, using the LEDs reduces the load on the 12v converter. The cooling fan doesn't come on until a couple lights are on, before the change it would fire off as soon as I turned one light on. The LEDs also run cooler. Since I camp in TX with AC, anything I can do to reduce heat generation is worth it for me. Finally I think the new LEDs are brighter, and I like them over the old bulbs.

12. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN

13. TheBirdMan

TheBirdMan New Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I have been using LED lights in my popup for about 10yrs. Currently I have two popups, a Coleman 2000 Fairview and a 2007 Fleetwood Williamsburg. The Fairview has T10 Miniature Wedge Type light sockets. The 2007 Fleetwood uses the 1141 connector.

NOTE: when buying LED bulbs a 1156 connector is the same thing as a 1141! You don't want to use standard 1156 bulbs (non LED) when the light sockets call for 1141. The standard 1156 bulbs will put out too much heat and can cause problems.

There are a lot of choices with it comes to LED lights, but most people want to go with LED because you can get very good light with a much lower current draw.

You need to know what color light you like, also known as Correlated Color Temperature (CCT) represented by wavelength. Personally I prefer Natural White & Cool White.
    upload_2017-6-6_19-24-26.png
    In any given LED light that can be ordered in several wavelengths the Lumens (light) drops as the CCT goes down. Also the Amp Hours (Ah) goes up as the CCT goes down. If you are using your popup off the grid, like we do, using with solar to recharge batteries Ah total per day becomes very important.

My preference is to get LED's from superbrightleds.com only because they have lots of data and inventory. Here is a spreadsheet I came up with today. According to me and my situation any data Red is not good, Yellow is OK, and Green is Great. I ended up buying five of the 1156-CW18-T LED's.
    upload_2017-6-6_19-44-58.png

I hope this data helps some folks when selecting LED's for there popups.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    One thing to note. Cheap LED replacements do not have internal current regulators. They use a cheap resistor and run hotter/brighter on converter than on battery. If you see an LED replacement rated for 12-30ish volts, they have internal regulation and will run the same from 10V to 30V.
    Hot LEDs don't last long. When a cheap LED replacement with a resistor gets hot, it draws more current (opposite of a bulb). When it draws more current, it get hotter, etc. They will get increasingly hot until failure. That's why the internal regulators are important if you run mostly on shore power and have LED replacements.

15. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    How would one know before purchasing? Is this listed in the specs?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    It's tough sometimes. It may say "regulated", but probably not. The surest giveaway is the rated voltage value. If it says 10-30V or something like that, it's definitely regulated.
    Some of the flat types, you can see the regulator chip on the back. The ubiquitous PT4115. They're used most often. Pennies a piece and work awesome.
    Regulated:
    https://www.amazon.com/TCBunny-Repl...1496837543&sr=8-3&keywords=LED+replacement+RV
    https://www.amazon.com/generation-1...496837543&sr=8-10&keywords=LED+replacement+RV
    These show 12-28V rating AND you can see the regulation circuitry on the back. The PT4115, a small inductor and a capacitor
    https://www.amazon.com/GRV-24-5050-...96837635&sr=8-4&keywords=LED+replacement+5050

These are just examples and may not suit you application. But you get the idea.

Unregulated: No regulation circuitry on the back. Only a bridge rectifier (allows insertion in either polarity) and 3 resistors.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ei-Home-Repl...96837780&sr=8-7&keywords=LED+replacement+5050