Lets Talk Mattresses!

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by HartNimrod70, Jan 31, 2018.

1. HartNimrod70

HartNimrod70 New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Columbia South Carolina
    I have to buy all new mattresses for my Nimrod Seventy - 3 total. I don't want to break the bank, but I am a little high maintenance when it comes to my bed/bedding. I have been looking at pull out sofa mattresses that run around $100 each. I do have to stack 3 so there's not much room for thick ones.

Does any one have any recommendations?

these are the ones I am looking at, one is innerspring, and the other 2 are memory foam. Memory foam might stack easier, but it usually makes me hot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Brands-Innerspring-5-in-Plush-Sofa-Bed-Mattress/30537398

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linenspa-5-Gel-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/55503399

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Modern-S...Bed-4-5-Inch-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/21287287

2. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I would definitely go with memory foam for comfort, but if it makes you hot, how about using a pillow-top mattress pad? They breathe more than a plain sheet and can add that pillowy comfort as well. As far as size goes, you're probably going to have to modify anything because popup mattrii don't seem to fit anything standard and I can only imagine that a 45 year old Nimrod wouldn't be any better.

HartNimrod70 likes this.
  3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We use a futon mattress with a topper and sleep better in the pup than the bedroom.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just wanted to mention. I have a memory foam pillow that when cold weather camping feels like bricks until my body heat warms it up and it gets comfortable. Not sure if a memory foam mattresses will feel the same way if you cold weather camp.

MaeKay likes this.
  5. HartNimrod70

HartNimrod70 New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Columbia South Carolina
    thats a good idea, but I think the futon mattresses will be too tall for our space to pack up.

6. HartNimrod70

HartNimrod70 New Member

Jan 29, 2018
    Columbia South Carolina
    I didnt think of that! I still need to measure and see what the closest size would be. I guess memory foam would be the easiest to modify, I could probably cut it with an electric knife.

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I guess the many years I spent sleeping on concrete, mud and sand makes my popup trailer's bed not a problem.:D Even at home, I purchase the hardest mattress I can and place a 3/4" pieces of plywood between the mattress and the frames.:eek:

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I think that one of, if not the most important parts of a pup is the mattress. Nothing better than a great night's sleep while camping.

As mentioned above, memory foam tends to hold heat when it's warm and gets hard when it's cold. I would try a combination of both futon like mattress along with a memory foam. Then you could flip flop them depending on the weather temperature. Futon on top in warmer weather, memory foam when its cooler, back to the futon when it's cold.

9. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    We use a sandwich of inflatable camping pads on bottom, a couple inches of medium density foam in the middle, & 1" layer of memory foam on top. The sandwich is held together in the cover from an old Select Comfort mattress. (Select Comfort is now known as Sleep Number.) Had wanted to use the Select Comfort mattress itself, but that was all too much hassle with tubes, pump & power cord to find space for.

10. NM_Alien

NM_Alien New Mexico: Not really new and not really Mexico..

May 28, 2015
    Albuquerque, NM
  11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    That is what I have- 2 inch topper which I plan to get rid of. Just need the right 4 inch mattress with right density and softness on top.

12. jnc

Thats why it works the futon mat is thinner than a regular mat. We store the foam top in a trunk with the rest of the bedding.

13. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Virginia
    We bought a 1.5" thick firm foam topper for our 1991 Columbia and put it under the mattress. It keeps our hip bones from hitting the plywood. We only did one side because our grandchildren don't weigh enough to compress the mattress on the other side! We got the piece from buyfoam.com.

14. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We have the 4” version on our bed at home and for the first time in years my hips don’t hurt.

15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    So are you saying you got rid of the mattress completely and are planning on using the Novaform 4” topper by itself? Trying to figure out what to do with our NTU 2007 Bayside. There is ZERO room to leave a mattress topper on top of the mattress and very little room in the body of the camper when collapsed. But extra support of some sort is required.

Halford likes this.
  16. jnc

We use an old steamer trunk for the bedding it rides on the floor in dinette.

17. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    The slide takes up all the floor space. Under the collapsed dinette tables has just enough room for the dinette cushions. We MIGHT be able to roll a topper up and stuff it in the dinette seat storage but that’s where I planned to store the bedding.

18. jnc

You cant leave the cushions on the bench? I dont have a slide but just lay the cushions down on the bench & the table goes on the floor by the door.

19. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Sadly no. On our Viking with no slide the cushions did stay on top of the table. I had heard about limited storage area with the slides but didn’t realize there was THAT little of space. I need to take a picture with the trailer in various stages of collapse. I think it would have helped me visualize things.

The seat cushions go on the floor by the front bunk between the swing level galley and the toilet. They have to be on their edge so they take up about 8” of space, which is all there is between the galley and the toilet. Then the seat backs and the smaller arm rest cushions of the couch fit under the table and take up all the space. The tip out “vanity” directly across from the slide doesn’t take up all the head space, there might be a few inches between it and the pushed in back bunk. I’ll have to play with it. The ONLY floor storage space is the few square feet right in front of the door. Good thing it has a lot of cupboard space for all the small things and the front storage box for bigger things!

20. jnc

I guess those slides do eat up the space quickly. We dont need them its just the 2 of us. I will have to keep that in mind when the DW starts trying to get me to Upgrade Because we use 2 trunks & 2 bins that ride on the floor.