Leveling - Something I don't understand

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Heilman_5, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    So I read on here don't use the stabalizers for leveling.

But you put the stabalizers down on each corner, and level with the tires.

But the tires are on springs and if I put the stabalizers down and then me and some other guys enter the camper. That could be about a 1000 lbs with would make the springs compress and the corners to hold the weight.

I would think the best place to add a jack would be just aft of the tires?

Please if I have this all wrong I apologize.

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    The stabilizers only keep the trailer from rotating about the axle fore or aft. The trailer frame (through the springs down to the axle) is still carrying almost all of the weight.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I can give you a good example (this has happened to a lot of us) do not put any stabilizers out, a couple of you enter and walk to the back, I almost guarantee the unit will tilt to the back all the way to the ground. The stabilizers are there to make sure this doen't happen, if you try to level with them you can actually bend the frame of the PUP. My Coleman TT only came with 2 on the rear, the first things I did was install an electric jack on the front and install a stabilizer on each side of the front. Happy Camping

4. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Will you have 4 - 250lb people in the camper at once? I have had three and never even thought about it.
    I guess if the trailer leaf springs squatted, the pressure on the stabilizers would be equal. That would not twist the frame.
    In contrast, leveling up the whole camper could potentially put very uneven amounts of pressure on different sections of the frame.

5. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Ok I didn't think about the equal pressure as it squats