Leveling the Camper

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Dragonfli032, May 11, 2017.

1. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    so if I want to open camper in driveway or street and get it ready for camping, does it need to be totally level?

2. Yes, maybe not precisely but relatively level if you want to run the fridge and/or raise the roof. Not being level puts strain on the roof when it's up, and the fridge won't work properly and could be damaged if turned on for a while.

3. lostboy

lostboy New Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    I have to hitch mine up, drive around the block then park it on the street in front of my house to set it up. It's a pain but that way I can get it level.

Now if I could back it in to my drive I would be good to go.

Dragonfli032 likes this.
  4. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    I am lucky I can get in driveway at all, not good at backing up yet! We push it most of the way

chefaleslie likes this.
  5. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    So do I level for side to side where the hitch is (dont know lingo yet)? Where do I level for front to back?

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Side to side leveling is done by the tires. Putting the low side up on lynx blocks, or piece of wood, balance lever, or any other leveling devises. Front to back leveling is done by the hitch area jack.

7. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    So opening today to and where is the best place to put a level to determine if it is level? My roof seems like its not level to begin with

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    Middle of the floor, inside of the fridge

9. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    I put level on the floor in front of the fridge to get the side to side level reading. Reverse the level for front to back. Of course you have to keep going to the door to check your progress or have DW call it out for me.

10. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Cannot get inside til lift the roof

11. If you have a smartphone you can get a free bubble level app to use. Initially I like to use a bar level both ways, then compare with the bubble. No need to take the big level along on a trip if the bubble level indicates the same.

Fridges seem to have the most sensitive leveling requirements so I take mine right in front of it. Once that's level, check a few more locations to see if they are similar, then you'll know the good spots to use.

12. NMroamer

NMroamer Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Had two Rockwoods,can open door with roof down or raise it a couple of inches

13. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Best to check both at mid trailer. I use a bubble level on the street side mid trailer and one in the middle of the front.

14. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I have to get my POPUP level from end to end otherwise my half door drags on the frame and I can't open it haha... When camping I like to have the drivers side just a tad lower then the front side as this allows any roof drain to go to the back side of the roof and not down onto my patio setup...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

15. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    With our Aframe I found it to be more than a nuisance to use a level inside as this requires erecting the roofs and sides. Bought a set of the arched bubble levels for outside use, then leveled the trailer out perfectly in our drive way and attached the levels. First set was attached to the front left corner of the cabin walls; later I found another set at a garage sale and attached them to the front right corner. Even later I augmented the sticky tape mountings with small screws.

We still dither back and forth on side to side leveling, sometimes using blocks and sometimes using a BAL Leveler. Blocks are a good choice at campsites where the parking surface is firm. At informal "boondocking" sites the ground is usually softer, and the BAL device allows easily re-leveling after the trailer settles.

16. lostboy

lostboy New Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    We have two levels on the outside. Dead center on the side and dead center on the front. Makes it easy to check, put blocks under tire, go look... then crank jack down/up go look, crank a little more go look...all level.

17. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    I haven't gotten a set of levels to attach to the camper yet. I've tried putting a torpedo level (also a 4' framing level) on the floor but when I move it around the reading changes. I've found the most consistent place to do it (for me) is just behind one of the tires on the main frame members, making sure that I put the level somewhere free of weld spots or large bumps in the paint.

It doesn't have to be extremely level. After all, if you check them most popups have the beds leaning slightly out away from the camper so that it's easier for you to set up the under bed supports. If they didn't do this, a lot of popup designs would allow for the beds to come sliding back in while trying to setup the bunk supports. As said previously, you want it decently level so that you don't introduce too much strain on the roof, specifically on any one corner or any pair of corners. Too much off level will mean that two lift posts will have more friction, etc. I also do like to keep the camper slightly off level towards the street side so that the AC runoff drains away from where I'm usually at.