License Plate light

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by mrjam2jab, Oct 9, 2018.

1. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    1985 Sun Valley. How do you replace the light bulb?

[​IMG]

I thought the lamp cover would twist off. It did...but not the way I had hoped.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then entire socket on the left one is rusted out. Right one still seems solid....but still don't know how to replace the bulb.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You need to replace the entire assembly. The bulb just twists out or maybe pulls straight out..

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The bulb is replaced from the backside. Appears to be a 168 bulb

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Looks like it was designed for the dome to stay attached and the bulb to be removed from inside. On the bright side, you can now have new license plate lights! Yay?!

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    That's a standard assembly plate light. They used to be on the bumpers of 90% of trucks. An auto parts store will have them.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    A light assemble like that was common to older pickup bumpers. They snap into the holes. Work great on nice strong metal bumpers, but not so much into fiberglass,etc.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have a similar one as the entry/step light inside the door. On mine it just pops out completely, and then the bulb/socket assembly twists out from the rear. I also have the same on the bumper for my old truck, but it is easier to get to the backside without removing on it though.

Might check the auto parts stores - they should sell the same type of light assembly in the trailer and/or lighting sections.

8. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Member

May 29, 2014
    There is no access from the back side. I guess they essentially pry out.