Lightening strike on a pine

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by nineoaks2004, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Scary as heck

2. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Scary ia right....Back in my Scoutmaster days, were were on a week long camp, when on the last night, a major thunderstorm moved in. We leaders sat up & watched it moving in (we were on a mountaintop), & could see it building as it came in, with more & more lightning strikes. We finally woke everybody up at about 3:00 AM, & proceeded to break camp. Got all loaded up OK, but just as we were pulling out, lightning struck a tree right in the middle of our camping area, not 30 feet away...no one was injured, but scary as all get out.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I was camping at a private campground when a bad storm went through. There was a class C camped just in front of a huge tree. There was only about 4 or 5 feet from the tree and his rig. Next thing I know that tree is up in flames burning from the inside out. The class C people were thankfully unhurt they disconnected and drove off. Meanwhile fire crews were trying to put the tree out but it was still smoking even the following morning. The campground hired a tree crew to come and tear the tree down in the morning and apparently the fire inside the tree wasn't fully out and the fire crew had to come back. Now this tree base was so large it could fit two and half adults standing on the trunk. It was sad to see such a magestic tree turn into a torch but very scary. Can't imagine what the class C people felt being in such close proximity to it. Thankful they had a class C and not a TT or popup. No way they would be able to hookup in time to evacuate the site.