Lights at night!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Sneezer, Jul 25, 2016.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

If people were walking that close to my tent (or camper) I'd be setting up my own trip lines further out.

speckhunter80 and JPBar like this.
  2. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    We've rigged up six of them with red LED's for when we're out stargazing. Same deal: mark guy lines and other points to navigate in the dark. Not so much because people are cutting through our camp, but just for our convenience - and to be able to find our camp the dark!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We've camped in some very dark campgrounds. We tried some of the garden lights, but they turned off about the time I had to make my middle of the night restroom run. Since we now have an on-board bathroom, I don't depend on the solar lights to last that long, but they will last a few hours if set out in the sun during the day. The bottle of lights is much less intrusive than the porch light, and doesn't use the TT's battery. I've also resorted to reflective tape on guy lines at times (we have some reflective cording on some), and reflective tacks to mark a stake near the sites (mixed results on that experiment).
    On our last trip, I bought those orange cut-off cones used for soccer drills (I think). They were very handy to mark a couple of stakes that were in my path in the campsite - they go right over the stake, the guy line keeps it from blowing away, and no light required - showed up surprisingly well even in semi-darkness. The Stellar's jays weren't sure what to make of the cone, or the end of the guy line - they tried to take the cod a couple of times.

Attached Files:

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Just rolled in from Crooked Creek SP in Georgia. We had one "special" camper there that had the light projectors on both sides of his TT- and they were synchronized for the same rotating and changing graphics. These lights ran ALL NIGHT LONG. We left after two nights.

5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    That is irritating. I'm jealous though that you're out camping. We're having record low temperatures and record snow fall here in Iowa. It's made worse by the fact that I moved my camper last month from my old storage facility to my work place so I see the thing almost every day. The "bug" to get to use it has started biting early this year!!!

neighbormike likes this.
  6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    We have very little light coming from our site. Usually only 1, but sometimes 2 Coleman napatha lanterns. If we go for a walk at night, that will sit in the middle of the picnic table and get turned down to about 1/2 brightness while we're gone. We have a single 60 watt light bulb that hangs in our kitchen tent for eating and playing card games after supper. A few crappy AAA battery string lights hang under our awning, because I hate having to turn on the porch light and attract all the bugs right to the opening door. And of course a regular sized campfire, not huge, just nice.

2 years ago, my son bought some projector lights for camping. At first, I wasn't sure about them, but now they are now on the permanent equip list for the Pup. I don't think that these are too invasive for other campers. These ones have about a million green laser lights that shine straight up into the trees, and look like stars when they hit the tree leaves. They don't shine into other people's campsites, or onto any trailers or tents anywhere, not even ours. They do not rotate or swirl. They are nice and soft and do not change colours. We have had compliments from other surrounding campers that they like them, and where they could buy some. If someone was bothered by them, I would turn them off right away.

All of this said, we usually go to bed around 12-1:00AM, and everything gets turned off at bedtime. I hate any lights while trying to sleep. Everything goes dark. If you need to get up in the middle of the night, everyone has their own flashlight in their bed. Don't turn on any lights to wake the whole crew up.

7. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Last year, summer of 2018, we were at our favorite Northern Ont Prov Park. One night, on about the second week, during the evening, there was a glow on the horizon. At about 10:00 PM, we went for a walk to see what was amiss. 2 roads over was a huge crowd of people occupying 4 campsites, all adjacent and across from each other. You are allowed 6 people per campsite, but it seemed like there were more people than that. They moved all of the picnic tables (2 per site) onto one site, and had them all lined up in one long row, where most of the people were sitting and eating. They were middle Eastern people and were cooking up a storm, and the aroma of the spices wafted up and down the road quite far. Honestly, it smelled pretty good, but I don't think I'd want to smell that all night long. The light came from 2 of those sites. Those 2 lighted sites had a string of lights that spanned through the middle of each of the 2 sites. The light strings were probably 30 feet long each and had a bare light bulb hanging every foot and a half or so. The bulbs were so bright, they had to be 100 watts each. During the night, I woke up at around 3:30 AM, and I could see that the lights were still on. Our neighboring campsites were all talking about the glow. My sister was camping one road closer to the light than what we were, and it was bothering them. I told her to go to the front Ranger office and complain, but she didn't. The lights happened for 2 more nights, then they all packed up and took off. The light didn't bother me because it was too far away, but if it did, I would've been getting it all shut down. Funny thing though, park staff drive through the park all day and night, and the lights stayed on. I thought for sure that they would've been told to tone it down some. There was a neighboring campsite to the lights, and the guy just hung up a tarp and put up with it. Not sure what the purpose of all the light was.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I may put up a lantern outside near our chairs during evening conversations. I do have one of those solar firefly in a jar thingies that I'll hang on a lantern hook outside. I have glow in the dark tape to use on my FnR awning poles and guy lines as needed. I have a magnetic puck light I can stick on my clipper bumper and the door light on the FnR if I need something other than flashlight lighting. Other than those, I don't use outside lights. I like the dark. I use flashlights as needed to walk in the dark.

When inside, I will use the main lights for cooking and eating and visiting. When I am alone inside, the lights are out. I read using my kindle paperwhite, so I don't need lights to do so. I have those LED battery operated light switch lights in each camper's bathroom for nighttime needs. If I go out for a nighttime walk, I will leave a light inside the camper turned on - it creates a nice window glow but does not shine outside.

No colored lights, no scare lights, no string lights, no decorative lights. I prefer those around me skip them also - I want to see the shadows of night in the forest not your camper. But, as long as you don't have lights that affect my night vision, shine in my campsite, or flicker/flash/etc., to the point of bringing on a migraine, I will ignore your lights.

I can say, this is, so far, one problem I haven't dealt with.

9. BedHead

BedHead New Member

Yesterday
    We have asked next door neighbours to turn bright lights off a couple of times, if they've been shining right on our bed really late at night. I've also started taking one of those sleeping blindfolds with me. And ear plugs. Hubby says I have bionic hearing. Honestly, I am finding that the older I get the less considerate other campers are becoming with respect to things like lights, and walking through our sites. One way to cut down on light pollution is to camp where there's no power. Sometimes that helps.