Little Manatee sp, Tampa, fl

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by kacz7895, Jan 3, 2011.

1. kacz7895

kacz7895 New Member

We took a trip there over New years for 3 nights. This was our first big camping trip have only done one locally and we were not even sure we were going to be able to do this one. The wife found out the day before we were supposed to go that part of her stomch flipped through her lap band but everything came out ok the took all the fluid out of it and she os going to have surgury later this month. It was a great little park lots of places to hike. If anyone has horses and wants to camp with them they have campsites where you can camp with your horse. The park is about 20 mins from Tampa. Theres a walmart about 3 miles away. The only problem i had with the park was all the gun fire we heard at night. Not sure what it was or where it was and dont really want to know either. About a mile from the park there was a place to rent canoes i think it was 25 dollars a person and you went down a creek and they came and picked you up. We picked orange and grapfruit along the way saw turtles. We only made it half the way down. I am pretty good with a canoe but the wife and my 2 step kids are not. So the canoe the wife and one of my sons were in went from bank to bank turned around a few times despite me trying to teach her the right way to paddle. She didnt even sit on the canoe seat her and my son sat on the bottom of the canoe. which may have lead to alot of there problems. The kids are 13 and 16 and it was there first time camping and canoeing so i couldnt exspect to much but we did have a ton of fun and thats all that really matters. We also went to busch gardens which was alot of fun and wasnt crowded. Also check out the manatee veiwing center we saw alot of them along with alot of fish. That is not in the camp ground it was about 15 mins away.

I would like to thank everyone for posting there advice and comments on everything i have ever posted and others too there is a huge amount of knowledge on here and alot of great people too.

Pictures will be posted tonight

2. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

All-in-all it sounds like it was a good trip. It may be harder to paddle from the bottom of the canoe but it is also easier to stay afloat when the center of gravity is low. That canoe trip makes me think of a bunch of young Boy Scouts on their first paddle, just multiply by 8. They were scattered everywhere and half were soaking wet.

3. kacz7895

kacz7895 New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Those are some great pics!
    That's some set up you have, love the chuck-box kitchen.

5. Mc7

Mc7 New Member

Great looking setup. Looked like lots of fun! :)

6. kacz7895

kacz7895 New Member

Thank you for all the comments. The set up is still getting tweeked. this was only the second time i have had it out.

7. astoriedlife

astoriedlife New Member

What a great setup! And a gorgeous pup!

8. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

I camped there years ago.. i think maybe in '84 or '85... with my parents. And my old boy scout troop canoed down that river as well... i remember a huge thunderstorm hit as we were making our back to the vehicles... 16 kids in canoes on the water with lighting striking all the trees around us... yippee!! Don't forget something like that...

9. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

Yes, Little Manatee is a nice park. One of my favorites. In fact I have reservations there in mid March. Two others you might like are Oscar Scheerer S.P. just South of Sarasota by Venice off U.S. 41 and Tomoka S.P. in Ormond Beach just North of Daytona. You have a nice set up there. I hope you enjoy Florida State Parks as much as I enjoy Georgia State Parks.