lol, its not the darkside, its a normal progression...

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by nrg2brn, Dec 10, 2017.

1. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

Apr 17, 2011
    we had popups for 17 years. the last few trips, my aging sons - 11 and 16 were more surly than I was used to them being. they told me they hated camping. this broke my heart, and after some family discussions..we sold the pup. I was unhappy with this. I found out that they did not hate camping per se, it was the initial setup they hated, poles. tent. galley....etc. then on sundays...do it all over again - and in the rain.....so.....I started shopping for small tt's. I am wierd about tow weights, having a 7k tow vehicle. long story shorter, bought a 2018 winnie mini drop at 2.8k lbs!!! wow, what a difference. power awning, power slide...can jump right in if its raining...and the list goes on and on and on. we are older (im 47) and done with the rustic feel of working my ass off when camping. the tt fits OUR family as it is NOW. we enjoy being together, and the struggle is not necessary to bond us anymore. the dark side, lol, I get it but now for us, the dark side is a pop up camper, tongue in cheek of course because we look back at our jayco quest 10x, fleetwood, starcraft centennial and forest river mac VERY fondly, and would NOT be where we are now if not for those wonderful memories.

nrg

Kevindust, Mtnseeker, jnc and 2 others like this.
  2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations! We moved up to a travel trailer this fall, though a bit bigger that yours. It's flippin' Great! [:)C]

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jnc and NorthernSpirit like this.
  4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Congrats, welcome to the dark side...

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    There is much value in figuring out what works for you and your family at each point in life. For years, we couldn't imagine totally moving from ground camping to a popup. Our first popup was tiny, and we bought it mostly to be an alternative when we went to wet climates. It was out of service for a couple of years, we finally decided we needed to either get rid of it or fix it. Fixed it, found it was nice, moved up in size after two seasons. When creaky joints caught up with me, we moved on to the TT. The good news is that I'm still camping - we have used the same campsites for 20 years or so in a few of our favorite places, tents to TT. My husband still gets tent time when he backpacks, and we still have our good (REI) Basecamp, in case we want to use it. (I will not be doing the set up of the tent though.)

Mtnseeker and theseus like this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Congrats on the move to a TT, you will never be sorry and appreciate it even more every trip. Hope you have many great adventures with your new unit. Good Luck and Happy Camping.

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm right there with you! I don't hate my pop up, but for the exact reasons you mentioned, it just doesn't fit well for us any more. Last March, I even had a deposit on a brand new toyhauler, and then my garage pipes all froze, and well, there we go. This season I am hoping to move to the TT.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    47,11 and 16 doesn't seem too old to set up a pop up camper to me. I am 55 and I do set up and take down by myself while the family keeps occupied doing something else. I am not looking forward to the day when my kids start hating camping in our pop up. We came from tent camping so we still think of the pop up as luxury.

9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    We are loving our TT..living in an area where it can rain tons, I certainly do not miss dealing with the canvas maintenance. It sure has also been nice being able extend our camping season into late fall.

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Normal Progression? lets see....
    Started camping as a kid in a tent, carried in a back pack.
    Family got a P'up, then a TT....Then I left home...back to a tent and BP..
    Met DW, who also grew up camping in a tent, we tent camped while dating..
    Bought our 1st P'up in 1985
    Several P'up and Kids later got a HTT in 2012
    This year sold our house, bought a 5ER and live in it full time...
    And still go camping with out HTT....or in a tent.
    Progression, yes.
    Normal?????

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Those Minnie Drops are really nice. The 170K is one of my dream small TTs. I walked through one at an RV show and instantly fell in love.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The DW and I are in our 40's. I grew camping in tents & Dad always had some kind of camper. I loved the slide on camper the most. I even ended up owning it for a few years before it died. That is when I introduced the DW to tenting. We have been dragging around a 2001 Coleman that we got for free from my brother for 5 or 6 years. We decided to get a TT after we tried camping in the White Mountains in November. this lead up to a rebuilt 1980,s coachman. So now we have a winter camper & a summer camper.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  13. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    I guess I regressed... 15 years of TT's now back to a PUP. Learned to hate camping in travel trailers so it was back to a PUP or new hobby.

Adam

14. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Wonderful Wyoming
    We "regressed" too, Adam. Both DH and I grew up tent camping. Before we were married I had a TT but rarely used it, other than a long cross country trip for a couple months. Then when we married, we never used it, but did tow it several times to campgrounds for other friends and family to use. Sold it and went back to tent camping, but when DH broke his back for the 2nd time, was too uncomfortable for him sleeping on the ground, so we bought a pup a couple of years ago. I'm just not sure either of us would want to go back to TT camping though ever.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  15. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I also love the Minnie Drop as I am daydreaming about my future camper. I also like the GeoPro or R-pod. 3 kids have flown the coop and the last one at home is not a camper (just like her dad), so it's just me, alone in the woods. Seriously considering an Aliner but don't want to part with my PUP. Can I just have both? (Or all 3, pleeeaaassse)

16. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    If your budget supports it why not? We are seriously kicking around getting a second, smaller rig

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    When we bought our Retro 177 TT, we sort of considered keeping the Coleman Cobalt. Storage, and the realization that we'd have to either keep both stocked or move supplies, made that not practical. We still have our great tents and supplies, so it we need/want to go without a trailer, we can.
    Even for solo trips, the 177 is a nice size, not too large or small. There are several soloing who have smaller ones (they even make a teardrop now) - it's surprising too, how many have moved to the Retro from T@Bs and R-Pods.

18. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I am a recovering hoarder but I refuse to part with anything camping related until it is broken to the point of no repair. This has lead me to the point now I have 2 tents a two man for solo trips or family and a House tent, the summer camper is the pup & the winter camper is an 1980's Coachman. I have both trailers setup so I only have to move 2 steamer trunks,1 plastic tote & the box of cast iron cookware from one to the other when switching out. The first trunk has all the bedding second is the kitchen and the tote is the universal utility box. This system has saved countless hours aggravation specially when going with the tents it makes packing the SUV a breeze.

19. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

May 13, 2012
    I love my pop up, but as others said, it's the grind of set up and pack up (in the rain) that keeps me thinking about changing. Financial reasons and tv are what keep me from changing also. I'm thinking if I got a good offer on my pup, I'd sell. I may be without for a bit, but I still have a tent or can camp in a cabin. I just want to be in the outdoors.

20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I had initially planned to sell mine too get a TT. However I have done so many mods to make this mine I am loath to part with it. I also would like to give it to my son when he gets older. If I park an extra car on the street I think I could store a TT and the pup at my house.

My wife on the other hand, well that is another matter. I think two RVs, a motorcycle and 3 vehicles plus her van may be past the limit!