Look at my van and camper hooked up. Do I need air helper springs?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by lugoismad, Apr 13, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I can't decide if I should get them or not.

[​IMG]

We're leaving for a trip to Niagara falls in a month, it'll be about 16 hours of towing round trip.

The van seems to handle fine, and I had the trailer up to 75 mph with no issues (not for long! But I wanted to make sure merging and what not it would be ok). But the rear end does have a bit of a saggy butt.

But, keep in mind...

1. The trailer axle has been flipped under the springs to give me some more ground clearance and so I could put on bigger tires.
    2. That pic was taken with a rubbermaid container packed full of wood sitting right over the rear axle of the van, for a long trip we wouldn't be taking wood.

It handled fine, but I'm wondering if the air springs would help. But..its also $80 I don't exactly have to spend right now, because I'm trying to put money away for our trip.

2. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

We put them in my 06 Oddy and it makes a big difference. Our PUP is a bit bigger than yours, but my issue was banging the receiver on driveways and such, even when we weren't towing. We used an aftermarket hitch so it hangs lower than dealer style and I had banged the hitch once or twice without the PUP (and once when towing I dragged it HARD on a driveway [:!]). DH put in the airbags and it helps a ton. It cost less than $100 and he did it in a few hours on Saturday.

I feel that the van rides better with the airbags, even when we're not towing. It's hard to tell from your photo if you 'need' them, but they are a cheap way to improve the ride!

3. opie232

opie232 Member

Reese make a small WDH for light weight use. Keep in mind with a full load your van will sag even more.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

That pic WAS with a full load. Most of our gear fits in the camper, I have it spread evenly over the axle.

It only weighs 1600lbs dry.

5. budlight

budlight Member

I used the Airlift 1000 on our Chevy Venture that was sagging a little. WOW it made a world of a difference, even when toting kids around in carpool. When pulling the pup I put the max pressure in the bags and the ride is great! Just my [2C]

6. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

My hitch is a "Magnus" brand. It was literally the cheapest hitch I could find on amazon for our van. It does hang below the bumper. I've never dragged it though.

7. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Hmm, ok. Well we have a 2 hour (each direction) trip in 2 weekends to Hocking Hills, so I think I'm going to use that to judge whether to put them on for our trip to Niagara. It seemed to tow fine though, but the trip in 2 weeks will be longer and with more highway travel, so I'll get a better feel for things.

8. efehser

efehser New Member

There will be an awful lot of towing experience at the HH rally, don't be afraid to ask!

9. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave it as is, and let you guys take a look at it at Hocking Hills.

I have a significant amount of experience myself, but it was with much bigger equipment. I can hook a 30 foot mulch trailer up to an F-550 in no time flat. But its this little stuff that I'm not sure about.

The tongue weight is only about 150lbs. I can pick up it one handed.

10. efehser

efehser New Member

I would plan on eventually putting the helpers in the Oddity as they are somewhat softly sprung, but for now it doesn't look too bad. Things you can do to help in the meantime are. as you said, don't haul wood, buy food and ice close to the cg, etc. My biggest weight gain long trip vs short is consumables. Should be less of a problem with the NTM Jeep and I might be getting help for that even. Esp if I upgrade the trailer in the future.

11. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

New rear shocks, heavy duty, would help greatly! [;)]

Especially on bumps and curves! :)