looked at an '01 Coleman Sea Pine (or so the seller says anyway!)

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by lksdrinker, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:28 PM.

1. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Hey all,

The hunt continues for my family's first popup. I've seen a few that were definitely not worth the time to look. But today I looked at what I thought was a pretty decent PUP. Sellers tell me its a 2001 Coleman Sea Pine. However, its not an ABS roof but is aluminum. They had water leak through the roof rack rails and that was fixed professionally. Looks like a bead of "caulk" (for lack of a better term anyway...this "caulk" seemed pretty heavy duty and almost rubberized). They claim it was fixed about 5 seasons ago and they've never seen any issues since. Inside it seems that there was a tiny bit of water that made its way into the roof and the interior panel shows a tiny bit of "crinkly-ness".

Other than that this thing seems dry as a bone. Everything is rock solid and I cant find any soft spots on floors or walls that concern me.

Canvas seems to be in really good condition. Sellers never used any waterproofing product, but seems they were cognizant of cleaning up and never putting this away wet. The interior clear vinyl has separated from the zippers in spots, and I'm sure that's not easy to fix.

But, I'm completely confused because everything I find says coleman used the ABS roof in an 01 Sea Pine.

First things first, how can I confirm what year and model this thing really is?

Second, If I were to buy this, am I going to want to rip the roof open to really see what kind of damage might have been caused on the roof's interior?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The VIN number is on the streetwise front corner on the frame rail, Also inside a cabinet usually near the door.
    The 10th digit is the year
    Y=2000
    1=2001
    2=2002
    3=2003 .....etc.

3. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Ok 10th digit is a "1" so this is for sure a 2001. manufacture date listed as 04/2001. So what does it mean that this 01 Coleman Sea Pine does not have the ABS roof?

Is it possible a former/original owner had the entire roof replaced under warranty? Would that mean an aluminum roof would've been put on?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I would guess it was replaced.

5. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Member

Oct 15, 2018
    hmmm I'm not sure what to think now!

So if it was replaced sometime after 2001, that likely means its the newer style Alumitite roof from 2003 and forward?

Any pros/cons of this style? Anything in particular to keep an eye on? Is it crazy to think that if I were to buy this I'd need to strip the roof pretty much entirely to figure out what damage (if any) that prior leak may have caused?

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    We are talking about a 17-18 year old camper. I would worry too much.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    This is my thoughts. The ABS roof may have been replaced with the alumitite roof under warranty . Which confirms my thoughts because those roofs are natourious to leak at the roof rack. If you show only minimum damage inside then I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Feel the roof for soft spots if it’s still solid don’t worry. Just keep the caulking along the roof tracks kept up or do what I did I put down eternabond tape along both sides of the tracks. I have the alumitite roof and after I put eternabond down had no other issues. I still keep a sharp eye out but for four years no found no other leaks. Our roof is comprised of aluminum and foam mainly with a small layer of luan plywood so there isn’t a whole lot that could rot, but no matter what roof you have you just got to watch it and jump at the first sign of a leak and take care of it. Good luck, I wouldn’t worry about it if all you show was a small leak and everything else is in great shape.

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I too have the Alumitite roof. The original seller had it replaced under warranty when the ABS roof failed.

JMkay1 has good advice for you. Check for soft spots. If none, don't worry about it and if you buy it keep up with the preventative maintenance.

9. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Member

Oct 15, 2018

Yeah the majority of the roof, from the inside, felt solid. There was one interior corner, roughly 12 inches square, that visibly showed some signs of some water damage. But it wasnt really soft and there was no indication that the water ruined anything below. The floor still seemed solid in that spot as well as everywhere else.

Is replacing or repairing that interior roof panel something thats easily done?

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Personally I just left mine be. In my mind it’s not worth the hassle, it’s only cosmetic. If it does bother you, check out the roof section on this forum I’m sure someone hear may have done something.

11. mysticbus

mysticbus New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Port Orange, FL
    My last Pup was a Coleman Sea Pine, around the same age. I bought it from the original owner, and it had an alumitite roof on it. He said he had trouble with the ABS and Coleman replaced it under warranty with the aluminum one. I think that happened to a lot of them.

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    This 2001 Sea Pine was originally built with an ABS Strata roof which was later replaced with an AlumiTite (a.k.a. AlumiLeak) roof. This roof has unquestionably leaked, as many did, hence the name. Whether you choose to buy any camper with a leaking roof is your call, personally I wouldn't.