Looking at 2002 Coleman Utah tomorrow - anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by SBradley, May 18, 2017.

1. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Here's the listing...
    https://cleveland.craigslist.org/rvs/6137584665.html

Here's what I know about it:
    -The tires were new last year, and bearings re-packed last year. Only one short trip was taken on them since.
    -The ceiling was soft when they purchased it, but the ceiling was removed, wood trusses were added, ceiling insulated and covered. The leak was from the AC unit gasket, which was replaced with the roof. They said there was no interior damage from the leak, and there hasn't been a leak since.

It weighs 2,485, my max towing limit is 3,500. I can't imagine packing it with 1,000# worth of gear.

Thanks!!

2. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We love our Utah. It's a great floor plan.

3. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you - I did go see it and liked it, but this one just wasn't for me at this time. Does yours have A/C? And if so, did you have any issues with the gasket leaking?

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have an 04 Utah and also love it. An AC gasket does wear out over time and would need to be replaced. I think I read somewhere like every 5-7 years but it does depend on how much weather exposure it gets. It's just part and partial of camper maintenance and ownership. If a prior owner failed to do the general maintenance on the roof, leaks could occur.

5. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    It's almost identical to our Westlake except we have a shower and no pop-out at the dining. A/C seems to be useless without 110, as well as a maintenance issue, so we don't miss not having it. We feel like we're camping in Luxury!

2003 Westlake Galley.jpg 2003 Westlake Couch.jpg 2003 Coleman Westlake.jpg ,

6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    The Westlake does look similar. I really like the Utah's slideout though. Wish you the best in your continued search.

7. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    We bought our Westlake last year. I like the added space of the slide-out as well, but it is more to maintain, so we're happy with the Westlake. I almost scored a Utah for $1,800.00; it had a few issues like a cracked up roof and they couldn't get the water heater to work, but for $1,800.00 it would have been a steal.

MrsSquid likes this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Got to say I love your interior colors. Mine is just so orange and brown, blah. Having an AC is a trade off and is useless off grid, but having a mom that suffered from heat stroke once on my watch, it is not going to happen again when she camps with me. With the different floor plans in campers something is bound to work for someone.
    To the OP good luck with your search. There will always be some trade off with the different amenities in campers so make a list of your needs and wants and find a floorplan that works for you and your family.

9. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Thanks...my wife doesn't like the colors! I nearly drove 500 miles to check out one that was a couple of years older and it had a light interior that looked really nice. It made it seem more roomy.

10. SBradley

SBradley Member

Jun 30, 2016
    This model sounds like a great option for me to stay a bit lighter. Last year was my first PUP, and although I liked the niceties of amenities, I wanted to keep it simple while learning the ropes. However this year...

Exactly!! I'm travelling to the beach with my girls, 80 year-old mom and 15 year-old dog, so I thought PUP brakes, A/C, potty and storage box would be nice.

The Utah is a little bigger than what I'm looking for, but I would accept it in exchange for the nice features!! :) I think I'd rather have more cabinet space rather than the couch, but I'm not sure on this one. I haven't camped in a PUP enough yet to know my idiosyncrasies. This Utah had some maintenance and canvas issues. A clean, mildew-free canvas is non-negotiable. Unfortunately the owner didn't know not to put a tarp over the PUP, and it didn't smell very fresh.

Thank you! For now I invested in brakes on my PUP, and new tires so I feel like I can use it more safely wherever I go, and take my time to find the right one. If I were to custom order a PUP, I'd get queen bunk ends, a dinette large enough for 2 adults, and the rest storage. I love the cabinets and drawers in the newer models.

What type of maintenance is needed for a slide-out?