Looking for a pop up... need help!

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by biker46514, Sep 16, 2013.

1. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

Ok, so here's the scoop. the wife and I are looking to get a used pop up. her requirement is ac... fair enough. So, in my difficult search I found 2 units that I like.

1998 Coleman Sea Pine (NO AC w/ AWNING)

1997 Jayco Eagle 12UDK (W AC & Awning).

the problem is that with the Sea Pine I'll have to pay to have A/C put on... not a big deal so long as the dealer can get the price in my range.

the problem with the Jayco is only that the private owners haven't ever used the water system, so they claim to not know if it works....

So what do i do?

2. Beatlepants

Beatlepants New Member

Get the Coleman. Coleman beats the heck out of Jayco.

3. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

Well, alrighty. That helps slightly. Any specific reasons? They both appear to be very clean. The Jayco has more counter space, (longer unit), the coleman, well, it's a coleman.

4. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

I love my Sea Pine, no AC. We have the 'cursed' ABS roof, that would be something to assess on the Coleman, but agree older Coleman's are better than anything out there, IMHO

5. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Reading through this subforum and the First Time Owners subforum will help you a lot. Posts like this one cover a lot of the basics that you should be looking for. After a few hours of searching and reading, you'll be a much more informed consumer.

A lot of my advice on shopping boils down to this: don't search for PUPs and see what works for you. Find out what works for you and then search on that.

Good luck.

6. Jean

Jean New Member

I've had both an older Coleman (1987) and my newer (2011) Jayco. Loved them both. I actually stayed away from Coleman the second time around because 1. They were out of business and 2. They had roof issues I didn't want to deal with.

What kind of tow vehicle do you have? The Jayco will be much heavier, being a 12 foot box, where the Coleman looks to be a 10 foot box, and about 2500 pounds.

If the tow vehicle is not a limitation, then the Jayco will give you more room.

Jean

7. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

I have a 2009 Ford Escape XLT 4WD tow package. V6. it's rated for 3500lbs. and with me working for Forest River as an engineer, I'm pretty set on just wanting a pup with AC and Awning, the rest is really extras in my mind. although working water is pretty key.

8. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

[8D] Don't you get an employee discount? [;)]

9. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

lol, I bet I do. But i'm looking to only spend around $2500

10. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

X2.

It might be the biggest best-est sweet-est unit out there, but if it doesn't suit your camping style it's not going to work for you. Go to the RV shows and look at floorplans. Haunt forums and look at every floorplan you can find, then do the gonna buy search.

Goo luck and welcome from Michigan!

11. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Or keep an eye on craigslist in your area!!

Good luck and plenty of info around here to help you !!

12. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

I just found out there is some damage to the front curbside quarter panel... a slight dent and paint rubbing on it.... it makes me really nervous about that now. the jayco is mint, other than they don't know if the water works... I think that i could handle replacing a water pump and tank if needed... that'd just cost me a case of beer to a line worker here. I work at the Dynamax plant. I design the Trilogy 5th wheels (google that bad sucker)

13. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

now we are changing it up. the wife hates the dent in the sea whatever unit.

We now are looking at the 2002 Coleman Laramie.... $2800 + tax with brand new ac installed.

14. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Women make 85% of buying decisions.. Let her upgrade herself

15. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

So... does anyone know anything about the 2002 Coleman Laramie? what to watch for as far as problems, etc?

16. Up the Mountain

Up the Mountain Member

Generally I look and study and look and learn before buying anything.....we are just starting the buying season for trailers for next year. You have plenty of time.
    So start here http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/Coleman for information and general buying guidelines.
    Look around at the MI auto auctions- they usually have more than a few RVs in their lots.

What little I know about the Coleman/Fleetwood line is that they were a bit more robust, a heavier frame for starters. You really do not want to go more than about 2000 lbs (loaded) or it will really push your tow vehicle (TV) around.

A big issue that you will want to look at are the roofs. ABS is a plastic type roof that will deteriorate and leak eventually.
    Just keep in mind that with an AC you need to check the 4 mounting bolts inside the unit that hold it on to the roof. If they work loose you will get water under the gasket. [{}=]
    In the Search box, look up ABS Roofs, wheels, towing, etc. to get your self eddicated.

17. candleems

candleems Member

Patience. Lots and lots of it. You will find the one that is for you. Do not settle for something that isn't quite what you wanted because you think it's the only one out there. I did on my first one. What a mistake! Do lots of research, look at lots of campers, talk to lots of owners.

Our area just had a big RV show (Hershey, PA). There will soon be lots of trades available. And good deals on them as winter is coming and they want to get them off the lots.

Also, many people that are thinking of upgrading might be selling their pop up first so they don't have to pay storage fees over the winter and so they have cash to make a deal on a new one.

I have a co-worker who is selling her's so they can upgrade. It is immaculate. It even smells brand new. And they camp once a month in it. (Interested? I'll send her your info and y'all can talk [:D])

Also, buy your next pup, first.

Questions:
    Water system: Will you ever use the water in the PUP are or you always going to wash dishes on the picnic table and take showers in the bath houses at campgrounds?

AC: do you camp where you need it?

Do you have indoor storage available for when you are not camping, especially during the winter?

Those have been some of my criteria. I know I can park it inside all year long. I know while water is convenient, it adds another step for me that I am not used to dealing with after having a PUP that did not have water system.

I had carried a porta potti with us when my DD was small. We used it 3 times in 5 years. It has been removed. Storage was more important.

AC: in PA, boy do I wish we had it. We made do with a window unit crammed against a screen because I didn't want to make any cuts. It worked, but was another set up step and took up valuable real estate.

Good luck. Ask questions.

18. biker46514

biker46514 New Member

Yeah, AC is kind of needed for us, the rest is kind of just butter... I'm going tomorrow to look at a 2004 Flagstaff 176ST... apparently it's a one owner, serviced always at this place, and then traded for an upgrade. Heat, AC, 3 Way refer, and awning. everything that i really want. (mainly ac and awning) Being in northern indiana, I think that if we used the full range of no snow weather, we'll need both heat and ac.