Looking for cheap camper to modify

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Zebra4, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Zebra4

Zebra4 New Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Hello! I am looking for an inexpensive camper that is in good overall condition that needs updated cosmeticly. I'm also hoping to add grab bars and other items to the camper (maybe a ramp) to help with my mobility. My 3 girls and I have a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. It causes our joints to sublax and dislocate. I'm really looking forward to redecorating the inside of the camper with my girls (addicted to Pinterest ) and making it accessible. We have a group of friends that camp on a regular basis and I would love to be able to join them. Money is tight though due to medical bills. Thanks for your help!

2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Good luck with your search. I would say, make sure you are buying one that is mechanically sound and has no leaks or water damage and canvas in good repair. Most of the cheap ones are cheap because something is wrong with them, not because they are ugly. They are all ugly IMHO, so don't expect a lower price because of it!!!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Also, look at some of the previous posts about adapting a pup. In some cases, it is difficult to add support on walls and cupboards in side, at least without reinforcing the backing. Not impossible, but not quite as easy as installing grab bars in a shower.

4. Fischymom

Fischymom Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Wow, you are only the second person I have heard of with this. Yeah, I live in a small rural area, but anyway. My son's fiancée has that also. They just had a son 3 months ago, and she had a horrible time. They love to camp with us and go out. Hope you find something that works for you all :)

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Where do you live? There is a really nice free camper in Boca Raton, FL. PO says it needs a new roof and a/c, but I'm not sure it really needs a new roof or is just ABS and need repaired correctly. I'll have to go look at the pic again to determine.