Looking for Experiences with Toyota Sienna as TV

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Nani2, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    I have a 2017 Sienna FWD rated at 3500 lbs towing capacity.
    We are looking at our first camper and keep downsizing our camper weight after reading things about Sienna not towing well.
    I called my dealer and he was rather wishy washy. In three minutes he said less than 3000 then half the 3500 then he wouldn't tow then 2100-2500. He said he has seen Siennas with blown transmissions and they really aren't meant to tow. His jumping all over makes me question everything he said.
    What are people's experience specifically with Sienna?
    How much is a safe maximum weight?
    Thanks

2. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Caravan and sienna have the same tow capacity. You can purchase airbags to stick in your struts and do it yourself.

We have pulled a 2200lb trailer over the Rockies without incident. With two kids and the kitchen sink.

3. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Is yours a Sienna or a Caravan? The dealer told me Siennas do not tow well and I have read on a few forums people saying they were not good. I'm looking for Sienna experience.

p likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Put Sienna in the search here. You might find a few threads.

5. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    We tow with a 2012 Caravan. We bought the trailer from someone pulling it with a Sienna.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Siennas tow fine, just like the other minivans. Usually the issue is rear end sag which can be modified by air bags or load assist rear shocks. The engines on all of the newer vans are very powerful. I would recommend a transmission cooler. They are relatively easy to install and will keep transmission fluid temps in a healthy range.

7. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Do you have one? We are looking at the jayco 12UD. Trying to decide between it and flagstaff206STSE.

8. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Is the 206STSE dry weight at 2300 lbs with air a good choice? We would have 550 if all people came and clothes and food. No pets, generator, or big toys. Will not haul water.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just a note dry weight does not include the weight of propane, battery, any options in the camper such as an AC unit and awning etc. So the camper you are looking at actually would weigh more than you think. With that said it might be doable. Like others suggested you may have to install airbags on the back end and a transmission cooler. I've seen many people tow with minivans but you do have to modify them to make it work.

10. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    I’ve accounted for air. The awning is a standard factory thing so would that be included? Dry weight is actually 2180.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I’m a little late to this thread. I tow with a 2016 Sienna and it does great. Your 2017 is actually considerably more powerful than our 2016. My pup is small, only about 1,200 lbs dry, but it’s not a problem at all. As others have said, rear sag is the biggest issue. I added AirLift airbags to ours. Quick and easy to install, maybe a couple hours in the driveway.

The engine and transmission will have no trouble with virtually any pup. The exact same combo is rated at 5,000 lbs in the Highlander. It’s the other bits, like suspension, that limit the van to 3,500 (and the marketing and bean counters, but that’s a topic for another day).

As long as your van has the Tow Prep package (it was standard on all 2016s, so probably 2017 too), it will already have the auxiliary transmission cooler needed for the full 3,500 lb towing. It never hurts to have too much cooling though, so if you go with a heavier pup it might not be bad to add an aftermarket cooler too.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    We are bean counters. When you all say how easy it is to install in driveway, I wanna say "Do your own taxes. It's easy and only takes a couple hours." LOL We're wired differently I think.
    I have called a lot of places and no one will install air bags for us. I know a guy who is very handy with cars and am wondering what would be a good price to offer him or if he would be insulted.
    We're not buying anything until we get it taken care of.
    Thank you for your advice on here and the other thread. It's very encouraging to know a recent model Sienna owner is towing. The dealers here advise against it.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I actually tow with an Ody, but as the thread lower down indicates, there are really no issues towing. I'm towing a Jayco 12 UDST, very similar to the UD except that it has a front storage trunk. We love our camper, has a lot of interior space, tows great...Ours is a 2001 and when cleaned up, it practically looks new. The fact is, that when properly equipped, essentially all of the modern minivans can tow 3K lbs with no problem. The main issue is the rear end sag and that is fixable. Installing air bags on a minivan is a pretty simple job and can be done in two hours or less. Appreciate you being a bean counter, and the fact is that with modern tax software virtually all folks can do their taxes in under 2 hours if they have their records handy. Some exceptions for sure in complicated cases, but that is a small number of people. I actually think more people can do the DIY handy work too, it is more the fear that gets them as opposed to their capabilities.

14. Itwrx

Itwrx New Member

Aug 14, 2018
    D547D8F7-7D2C-4039-A68A-29AF5A4DC913.jpeg We tow with our 2014 Sienna at high altitude. 7,000Ft+. We have air bags installed. We currently tow a 19ft boat all over. Never a issue. Pulls 50mph up almost any hill. We don’t push it. Keep the rpm’s in the 4,000’s.

15. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I’ve been towing our around 2300lb pop up for 5 seasons with a 2012 Sienna. It tows great, even when pulling over the Appalachians. Our only issue is rear sag. Our window sticker says our sienna has a tow pkge (I’m not sure what that includes, but it has it)

16. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Toyota just love to have you to buy new Sienna to replace damaged Sienna. Please read threads about ACTUAL max weight allowed for popups called GVRW.