Looking for Experiences with Toyota Sienna as TV

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Nani2, Jul 9, 2018 at 9:59 PM.

1. Nani2

Nani2 New Member

Monday
    I have a 2017 Sienna FWD rated at 3500 lbs towing capacity.
    We are looking at our first camper and keep downsizing our camper weight after reading things about Sienna not towing well.
    I called my dealer and he was rather wishy washy. In three minutes he said less than 3000 then half the 3500 then he wouldn't tow then 2100-2500. He said he has seen Siennas with blown transmissions and they really aren't meant to tow. His jumping all over makes me question everything he said.
    What are people's experience specifically with Sienna?
    How much is a safe maximum weight?
    Thanks

2. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Caravan and sienna have the same tow capacity. You can purchase airbags to stick in your struts and do it yourself.

We have pulled a 2200lb trailer over the Rockies without incident. With two kids and the kitchen sink.

3. Nani2

Nani2 New Member

Monday
    Is yours a Sienna or a Caravan? The dealer told me Siennas do not tow well and I have read on a few forums people saying they were not good. I'm looking for Sienna experience.

p likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Put Sienna in the search here. You might find a few threads.

5. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    We tow with a 2012 Caravan. We bought the trailer from someone pulling it with a Sienna.

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Siennas tow fine, just like the other minivans. Usually the issue is rear end sag which can be modified by air bags or load assist rear shocks. The engines on all of the newer vans are very powerful. I would recommend a transmission cooler. They are relatively easy to install and will keep transmission fluid temps in a healthy range.

7. Nani2

Nani2 New Member

Monday
    Do you have one? We are looking at the jayco 12UD. Trying to decide between it and flagstaff206STSE.

8. Nani2

Nani2 New Member

Monday
    Is the 206STSE dry weight at 2300 lbs with air a good choice? We would have 550 if all people came and clothes and food. No pets, generator, or big toys. Will not haul water.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Just a note dry weight does not include the weight of propane, battery, any options in the camper such as an AC unit and awning etc. So the camper you are looking at actually would weigh more than you think. With that said it might be doable. Like others suggested you may have to install airbags on the back end and a transmission cooler. I've seen many people tow with minivans but you do have to modify them to make it work.

10. Nani2

Nani2 New Member

Monday
    I’ve accounted for air. The awning is a standard factory thing so would that be included? Dry weight is actually 2180.