Looking to buy- Do you see anything concerning?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by COTurners, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

1. COTurners

COTurners New Member

Wednesday
    We are new to shopping for a starter pop up for our family and are learning as much as we can as we go. We are considering going to look at this one this weekend. It is about a 5 hour drive so I’m hoping that more experienced buyers/owners could take a quick look at the pics and see if they see anything concerning that make it not worth the trip (there are other fun things we can do while we are there to make it more worth it but don’t want to waste our time either). I looked over the checklist in the files for actually looking at it but I’m sure others could pick out more from pics than I can with my amount of experience/knowledge.
    https://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/d/popup-tent-camper/6638129040.html

Thann you so much for your time and help if you got this far! :)

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the portal from N/W Fl panhandle.
    Before I made the trip I would ask if it has a CLEAR title. And to have the reefer, etc. working prior to you arriving, the reefer takes awhile to cool down. The actual inspection cannot really be done with pictures. When inspecting take your time and do not be afraid to walk aeway. Good Luck in the search.

Orchid, COTurners and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Agreed, take the check list , make sure everything works. Check the tires and such if you buy it so you can take it home. Also, a proper aligning hitch. Check to see what you need to register it in your state and make sure that you can get that done!

COTurners and nineoaks2004 like this.
  4. COTurners

COTurners New Member

Wednesday
    Thanks so much for the responses! We will definitely take the checklist and look it over thoroughly. I just didn’t know if there was anything glaringly obvious in the pics that we might be missing due to untrained eyes. :p For example, the last one we looked at had very extensive cracking on the roof. After we went, I was thinking that I wished there had been a pic of that in the listing. I went back and looked at the photos and you could see it in the pics but I just hadn’t noticed so I thought I’d ask before we make the trip, haha. Thanks again!

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I looked at a couple in the past that were similar vintage rockwoods and their sister brand Flagstaff. Look for soft spots in the floor near the door and shower area. I found several work water damage there. Also check the front trunk area. Their lids are better than done but they can still have problems. That model should have the sliding tray in the front trunk which tends to mask any water damage to the floor.

Roofs are also an issue. People don't always maintain then the way they should.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Problem about pictures is that they can be doctored up or angled in a way to hide damage. The best and only way to really spot damage is to be there yourself and dig around. I drove four hours to look at a popup that pictures looked awesome. What I found was the opposite. They doctored the pictures up to make it look better than it was. Waste of gas and time, but was a good and beautiful drive. Been to another where the owners saw me get out of the car with my checklist and flashlight and they got this deer in headlights look. they knew I was down for business and was not going to get suckered. Just as I was walking around the outside of the camper they straight up and said, this one isn't right for you, it has a number of issues we didn't tell you. I thanked them and left before I really got started.
    I wish you the best when you look it over, keep an open mind, but also don't hesitate to walk away if something doesn't feel or look right. Bring a checklist and flashlight to look in those really tough to see corners. Crawl on the ground to look under it and in the cabinets. Feel the floor on those far corners. Have them lower the roof with you there and raise it up to see if the lift system works. good luck.

Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

First, before driving that far, I would ask questions about everything working. Specifically ask about each individual thing, like toilet, shower, fridge, stove, etc.

Ask if there have ever been any leaks in the past or if there is any existing water damage.

On site, open every single cabinet and feel the floor, all the way to the back, where it meets the wall, looking for soft spots. Do the same thing under seating and in the storage trunk. Most importantly, have the owner hook it to both electric and water and demonstrate all the systems for you.

This was a big mistake my daughter made, when purchasing her hybrid. They had it hooked to electric, but not water. First time they hooked up the water, they found out that the toilet leaked water all over the floor.

Also, have them put the lift up and down a couple times. Make sure it goes smoothly, and there is nothing glitchy about it. As others have already said, make sure it has a clear title, take a checklist and flashlight to look in every nook and cranny.

Good luck and hope you find the perfect camper for your family!

Sjm9911 likes this.