Looking to upgrade to a PUP w/ a slide out kitchen.

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by finsnspurs, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM.

1. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

May 8, 2013
    We have a small Coleman Hunter 860, very basic. Ice box No AC and full size beds. We were thinking of going to a TT but have backed off of that idea after seeing a PUP w a slide. We are looking for brand and model suggestions. Price range around 4 to 5 K. I've searched and can't find a post of this nature. Would like a model w/ a few amenities. Commode ,AC, and big beds. TY Kevin

2. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

May 8, 2013

3. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

May 8, 2013
    I would like to add we really enjoy PUP camping and the challenges and benefits that come with it. PU campers are some of the most creative folks. Thanks again for any and all feedback. Kevin

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    There was is a multitude of slide out models to choose from. I see you have a suburban so you are not limited in size and weight which opens up your choices to literally every one of them. The first that comes to mind is a high wall Coleman Niagara. I myself have an Avalon which is the big sister in that Coleman line. I would think an 07' or better would be up at the top of your price point but that is a guess for me. Next would be a rockwood highwall which is nearly the same as the Coleman line. The list could go on and on. Start with a google search for high wall pop up camper. Then research from there.

Good luck with the hunt. Your in an open market and it's summer right now so prices tend to be higher.

finsnspurs likes this.
  5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    So you want a PUP with a dinette slide or a kitchen slide out? I haven't seen a PUP with a kitchen slide. There are older PUPs with indoor/outdoor kitchens.

finsnspurs likes this.
  6. Fixitup

Fixitup Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Not so sure of a kit. slide, but as stated there are ones with dinnette slide. We have a 07 Niagara which is the little sister of the Avalon. We are elated with it. Good luck.

finsnspurs likes this.
  7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I assume he was speaking about a dinette since he said he had seen them.

8. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    My 07 Starcraft RT13 has the side dinette slide out that converts to a Full bed. The pull out beds are King (67"x78") and Queen (60"x78"). It doesn't have much by way of seating inside, especially when the dinette is folded down into a bed, but the beds are great and the side pull-out makes it feel a lot bigger inside. I paid $4200 for mine. NADA lists it at about $6100-$7400 with all of the extras including AC and cartridge toilet/shower (and an outside shower as well). A bit out of your budget range, but something similar for a good price would be a reasonable option. I really love the heavy duty "Rough Terrain" frame and suspension, and the front cargo deck is fantastic for loading up stuff instead of squeezing it in the Durango around (and sometimes on) the kids.

finsnspurs likes this.
  9. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    My 99 Coleman Bayside has the slide out dinette which really opens up the inside. The slides add weight but sound like the op has enough towing capacity. Mine also had the king bunks but no bathroom facilities, i think as previously mentioned the Coleman Niagara did. Not sure about the Coleman Utah. Those were the 3 Coleman models with slides.

I've also got a/c and it originally had a 3 way fridge until it died and I re-engineered with a dorm fridge for ac/dc power only.

finsnspurs likes this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Flagststaff 725d. They made then for a couple years. Slide out dinette. Shower toilet and the galley slides out for use outside the pup.

How many people sleeping? I have a jayco heritage laurel and have been really happy with it.

11. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    The Rockwood HW277 - it has both the slide out dinette and a slide out kitchen (stove and sink) - There is a Flagstaff version too. not sure how far back they go year wise - bought mine in 2010 but NADA does not list them prior to 2011 model year - but they are probably out of the OP's price range unless they can find a great deal.
    BTW - we loved the outdoor kitchen in ours.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have a fleetwood Utah a little sister to the Niagra. I love the extra room the slide provides. No more bumped shins or walking over the dogs. I have the dinnette on the slide and my unit came with an outside stove and inside stove. A nice front truck to hold gear, has all the amenities except the inside shower which I'm ok with as I didn't like the idea of all that humidity inside the camper or the fact the kiddo who LOVES water will spray EVERYTHING. I do have the cassette toilet though. As mentioned above nearly every manufacturer has at least one or two campers with a slideout. It's just the matter of looking for the one right for your family. The highwalls are nice, but may not work for all families. Because the walls are much higher, the ceiling is higher, the beds are higher and may require stools to even turn off lights if your on the small side. Because I camp with my elderly mom I for-saw some serious accidents with her trying to climb into bed. So check out all the campers out, really stay in them for while with the whole family. Imagine it in some of the sites you've been. Like you I jumped from a small bare bones camper with no amenities to the bigger one. The hardest for me to adjust was a lot of the campsite I used to like I cannot fit anymore. It may have a small footprint but when fully open the camper is 25' or longer. If a campsite is 30' total length your car may not fit. Not to mention you have to be mindful of leaving a 3 foot gap on the side of the camper to leave room for the slide. I very nearly had to close everything up again when I realized I hit the tree when it pulled mine out once. Closing it takes longer as there is more canvas to worry about, but the very first thing to remember regarding the slide out:. First in, last out except for the canvas which remains out until your ready to lower roof. On my unit if I put the slideout in the wrong order it won't close. So I suspect it may be the same with the other units. I've had my new to me unit for two years but only got 6 total trips with it. So still very new to it. I love it, my mom can climb into bed without a stool and with the AC and furnace she can come with me more often than not and I have fewer worries. The kiddo loves the big beds. She slept like a starfish the first night. The dogs were not too happy they couldn't jump up on the beds like they could before, but they love the couch and under the table on the dinnette. So they had their spot and not under feet.

finsnspurs likes this.
  13. Douggro

Douggro Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA