Looks Like We May Be Going Grey

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by phager76, Jan 13, 2018.

1. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    So we decided to head out to the Pittsburgh RV show today in spite of the dicey weather conditions. We're planning on upgrading from the Utah to something with a more permanent bathroom and a little more space for the growing family and dog. I was originally leaning towards something like the Roo 21SSL with the front deck so we can bring the kids dirt bikes or my scooter along, but I was also open to a toyhauler or a three bunk hybrid. After looking through the entire first floor of the show and finding very little that was appealing (The toyhaulers in the size I wanted didn't have the sleeping capacity that would be comfortable for us with out re-configuring between day and night mode), we decided to head upstairs.

After looking at TTs and Fifth wheels everywhere, and begining to feel a bit let down that there were no Hybrids to be seen and very few pop-ups, We turned a corner and finally saw it, The Rockwood Roo 233S, We talked to one of the salesman and after a little back and forth, came to a conditional agreement. Assuming they can get the financing terms where I want them to be, we've put a refundable deposit on a new 233S. They're also throwing in $200 towards a WDH.

Of course, this thread is worthless with out pics, so here's a few shots of the new unit:

As you can see, the kids have already made themselves at home in the new camper!

Jorja likes this.
  2. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    congratulations on your new Roo !! We were wanting this model when we were looking 6 years ago but did not have the tow vehicle for it and ended up with our highwall. Which did well for us until last year when we finally went to the hybrid - but we no longer needed the three beds and ended up in the Shamrock 23WS. We have also found that those RV shows are a bit thin on hybrids and even thinner on popups - a bit of a disappointment for those of us not wanting the rolling mansions.

3. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Yeah it really is a shame that they focus so much on the big trailers. While it was kinda fun walking through them, It's really hard to beat the efficient use of space in a pop up or hybrid. Fortunately, tow vehicle capability isn't a huge concern for us with the Excursion, I'm much happier sitting at 3/4 of my rated tow capacity, given the fact that I've got 200K on it. We were really looking at the Coleman 300TQ toy hauler but the empty tongue weight on that was right around 1300# and that's pushing it, even with a 3/4 ton truck chassis. The length also had me worried, since we have a tight right had turn with a retaining wall to get to the house with not a lot of room to swing a trailer, and I could totally see me clipping that wall trying to maneuver it around!

4. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Very nice! We purchased our 2018 Rockwood Roo 233s in November. We have yet to use it since we live in Michigan. I do have 4 trips booked so far. One being a 6 night two campground trip which will be the longest we have done. It’s currently my wife, my two year old, and myself but we wanted to buy a camper that we will keep for 10-15 years. Before this we had two Pop ups, our latest being a 2014 Rockwood 2280BH.

5. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    Welcome to the grey side we have cookies!!!!!!! We have a Roo 183 and looking to upgrade to the 24ws. We like the 233s but with wife wants more counterspace. Good luck and happy camping.

6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    We came from a Rockwood 2280 Popup which had virtually no countertop space so we think the Roo 233s will work. The flush stove and sink will help a lot plus we can slide the table over if we need more countertop space. We also got ours without an oven for more storage space. My wife didn’t want an oven since we do most of our cooking over the fire.

7. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Counter space was a concern for me as well with the 233S (As well as most other hybrids we saw), but as mpotapa says, with the cutting board over the sink, and the glass cover over the oven, it does give the semblance of counter space when not cooking. The Utah has even less counter space and we've made do with that for the last 4 seasons.

We did want the oven, though, since the kids would love to make cookies and the like on some of our trips, I'm not 100% postive how much use it will see on a day to day basis, but I'd rather have it and not need it, the want it and not have it!

8. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    we use the oven alot - (but our highwall had the oven as well, so not really anything new for us - cinnabuns are frequently on our breakfast menu LOL) - the size of the freezer was a major upgrade for us when we went gray - we went on a three week trip and were able to stock plenty of dinners in the freezer.
    Peter - I have the 23WS (early design of the 24WS) - we love it. I did put shelving in the slideout wardrobe, made it much better for storing clothes for 4 people.

hvac1877 likes this.
  9. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    it's nice to see those moving to the Gray Side, replacing those of us Gray Siders who've moved to the Dark Side.[:P]

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations! We skipped grey and went dark last fall.

I'm sure you're going to enjoy the new digs. [:)C]

11. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Congratulations! We went to the RV show two weeks ago in Pigeon Forge, they didn't have any pop ups or hybrids. We currently don't have a camper, but are planning on purchasing our first this spring. My daughter was so excited, just like your little ones. My wife has always been a tent camper, but I seem to have swayed her to a camper. We are looking at Jayco hyrbids.
    Looks like yours will get a ton of use!

12. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Congrats! We had a 233S for 4 years, it's an awesome rig. I really like some of the updates they have done to it as well. Be sure to get a couple vent covers and get a set of Gizmos for it, they are worth every penny both for insulation and for keeping it darker in the morning. Just curious, what are you going to be towing it with?

13. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Fortunately the new ones come with the vent covers already installed, as for the PUGs, I'm thinking about trying to reuse the ones for the Utah if we decide to trade it in (Which I'm not sure on, since we can get way more on the open market for it), if we don't trade it in, then I'll just spring for fitted ones, since they've been a life saver on the Utah!

I'm still waiting to hear on the financing, and I'm getting a bit worried on that front, I wasn't aware of it at the time of the show, but apparently my student loans had gone out of the Income Based Repayment plan I was on, and my $0 a month payments went up to 300 for the last 5 months so now I have a delinquency on my credit report. I've talked to the student loan folks and got that straightened out, so I'll have that removed as of the beginning of February, but that probably won't help on any apps the dealer has put out yet. Worst case scenario is that we reapply for financing closer to when I have my tax refund for the down payment, or even look at used units. I'm not going to stress too much, as I see it, if this doesn't pan out then something better will come along in due time.

As for the tow vehicle front, I'm towing with a 2002 Excursion V10 gasser, so I'm good for most bumper pulls up to around 30-32ft. She's rated for a maximum Tongue weight of 1250 and has a payload rating per Ford's towing guide with options of about 1600 lbs. I really don't want to get anywhere near that since I like to have a healthy buffer when towing, it just makes for a more relaxed trip in my experience!

14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Hope it works out for you--the kids seem to be pleased. :)

15. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    One way or another, it will. We're also looking at a couple of used Bunkhouses at a more comfortable price that should be easier to finance, since the down payment will be a higher percentage of the purchase price, and at the lower cost of entry we'll be able to finance for a shorter term at the same payment price, which is always attractive. I'm just not sure if I want to go full dark side yet or not.

The kidlings are pretty pleased with the Roo as am I, but to be quite honest, they've been just as pleased with the pop-up, and would probably stoked with a tent! I know when I was a kid and the 5 of us camped in a six foot box Starcraft those were some of the best memories of my life! It's not the trailer that I remember so much as all the places we visited in it.

jnc likes this.
  16. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Just a little update, I'm losing any optimism about the deal for the Roo going thorough. I emailed the dealer a week ago letting them know that the black marks are off my credit report, and I haven't heard word one from them. To be honest, I'm not terribly upset, if they are this unresponsive when making the deal, how bad is the after sale care going to be when the inevitable warranty issues come up?

We're now thinking about a 2007 Outback 28RSDS, the floor plan in pretty nice, with a rear slideout Queen Bed, and quad bunks in the front. I'd prefer a deeper slide for the dinette, but it still opens up the room in the camper and it's still deeper then the slide on the Utah. We still need to make the trip up to Butler to see it, as they still haven't received it into stock yet, so there's the chance that it won't work for us. I like that it's 30ft towing, but 35 when set up, so it should still be plenty roomy.

I'll keep you all updated, even if it does fit better in The Dark Side now :D

17. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    It seems this is happening all over. :p My DW and I went to the Minneapolis show on 2/10 and wound up calling Monday to order a Roo 19. It's just the 2 of us and we don't need the slide outs. Also, for us, the 19 keeps the weight down to what my 2016 Explorer can tow.

Enjoy!!

18. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Enjoy the 19, Aneemal! Our Roo has definitely fallen through, I've sent a half dozen emails to the dealer and gotten zero response back from them. Honestly it's probably for the best, since if they're this unresponsive before the sale, then how bad will the after sale support be?

I'm in negotiation now for a 2017 Keystone Bullet Crossfire 2190EX and waiting to see where financing lands on that one. The 2190EX is almost a duplicate of the 233s with a couple of differences, such as the lack of ducted AC, no heated mattresses and no oven, but does add a tub instead of the neo angle shower.

We've also been preapproved for financing on a Outback 28RSDS, but we're still waiting for that one to get to the dealer so we can look at it. I like that that one has the quad bunks up front with a slideout queen bed in the rear, it gives us a 35' trailer in a 30' footprint, so I think I'll still be able to manage the hairy corner to get on to my street. We have a sharp 90* corner from a lane and a half road to a single lane road that has a retaining wall on one side and picket fence on the other, so clearance is a little tight, and I worry about something over 30' tracking too far towards the inside and clipping something.

19. coney

coney New Member

Sep 10, 2016
    New Jersey
    A big than you to all yous well wishers