Lots of Trailer Movement

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by niagarafam, Sep 17, 2016.

1. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We are experiencing significant movement in our Jay Feather when we are level with stabilizers set. Most of it seems to be left to right. It improved a fair bit when we set the Jack-in-the-Box jacks under the slideout. We have ordered step jacks for the 3 step entry steps and a set of BAL tandem wheel chocks. We have been using rubber chocks, but they do not get nearly as firm as the BAL chocks will. We will see where we are at that point. If more stability is needed, we are going to try the BAL Lock Arm stabilizers. We will tie them in to which ever direction is the problem, either front to back or left to right. We doubt that it will be front to back, especially after ratcheting down BAL chocks on both sides. The Lock Arm product bolts to the frame and to the base of a stabilizer jack.

We'll update after the BAL chocks and step jacks are in place along with the slideout jacks.

2. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I used a BAL leveler on the low side to level and the BAL Single Axle Tire Locking Chock on the high side with the stabilizers about a half turn more after ground contact. My PUP was very stable although there was some movement when someone on the bunks moved around but I think that is to be expected.

3. mcbrew

mcbrew Member

Check out the Valterra RV Stabilizer. It solved our trailer movement issues. It also packs up in a relatively small carrying bag. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I use xchalks on my tandem axle Avalon. It works great. Takes the shake out of the shimmy. The stabs take the bounce out the xchalks deals with shimmy. Huge difference when you bind the wheels. I would love to see a spring type parking brake on them. A hand brake would nail it down tight.

5. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Yes, I think the tandem chocks are going to help a lot. We will start there and see if we still need the BAL Lock Arm addition. Our Jay Feather 23RBM has a large rear bath with the tanks below it. I think the designed weight distribution is causing most of the side to side movement. If the chocks don't get it, then I will start with one or two supports across the rear.

6. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We received the new BAL wheel chock stabilizers and step jacks. We are excited to see how they tighten things up. We'll let you know.