Loud popping noises when cranking up 1997 Coleman Sun Valley

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by brdeel, Apr 27, 2018.

1. brdeel

brdeel New Member

Lol! I do have some good skillz now, and I can certainly talk the talk. It also provided family entertainment. My son found it hilarious that I couldn't get the "solid shear pin out of the thrust nut". Thrust nut. . . who names this stuff?? ;-)

Orchid and jnc like this.
  2. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

I would advice using a ground cover when using this stuff. It actually liquefies the old grease and the run off WILL permanently stain just about any surface it comes into contact with! Good Luck.

3. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

Brdeel you are my new Hero! I also have a 1997 Colman Sun Valley with a similar problem. When I crank it up, it starts to make the dreaded loud POP sound...not good. Still goes up & down ok, but I know something need work. I'm from Waterloo, Ia. Nobody around here will touch it. Last year I complete made over the inside (go to "Karla's Makeover" on www.ThepopUpPrincess.com under Reader Features if you'd like to read about that & see pictures) & this summer I managed to fix my leaking AC by taking a out 5 inches of sag out of my ABS roof with a self-installed uni-strut bracing system (have to say I felt pretty dang good about that too, bc once again, no one around here would touch it, their solution was to sell me a new camper, but for $160 my Sun Valley roof now has no sag & no leak! (I listed a post about in on the pop-up portal along with how I did it under "How I fixed my ABS sagging ABS Coleman roof" if you're interested.)
    So my family has given me a lot of flack about this camper. My boyfriend gripes about storing it in the winter, my dad gripes about about where I park it in the summer, my brother gives me guff about how much I use it & why do I want to keep it anyway, but I love the thing! This weekend I crawled underneath & cleaned & greased the wiffletree as well as lubricated all the cables & the lift posts with silicone spray. I was hoping that these simple solutions might take care of my popping noise, but no such luck. After reading your post (again why you're my new hero!) It's pretty clear I'm going to have to take the back panel off & take a look at the chain.
    So I'm guessing that the loose chain basically caused the lift system to jump or skip a gear or two (slip off the sprocket on the cog wheel, however you want to say it?) and that was what caused the loud popping noise that sounds so nasty? Or was there more to it? And in the end, you did not have to replace the chain then? Just clean it, lube it, & add a couple washers to take up the slack?

If you could direct me to the link to the correct lift system repair manual I'd be really grateful! (And any other tips you can share!) Like my dad always used to say, "If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself." Guess he was right! Lol
    Thanks! Enjoy your camper!

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Same here. It’s the cable overlapping. As it realigns itself it makes that popping noise. Mine does it occasionally. I was worried until I took the cover off the winch and watched it happen

Miss Karla likes this.
  5. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

Yeah, it's a horrible sound! I suppose I need to do my due diligence and take the cover off & investigate just to be sure though. Could also be slack in the chain, a stripped thrust nut, or missing teeth in the cog wheel that's causing the chain to skip. I did lube all the cables really well with silicone spray hoping that might do the trick but it hasn't really seemed to make a difference at this point. I just dont want to snap a cable because I feel like that repair might be above my pay grade! Lol
    Thanks for your input!

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Did you Watch the video in post #13?

7. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

I did indeed.

8. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

I did indeed

9. brdeel

brdeel New Member

washers 3.JPG
    Hi Miss Karla--you are on the right track about the popping noise. It could be the loose chain slipping off the sprocket/skipping a gear, which was my problem, and/or it could be a broken sprocket. I also needed to degrease and regrease everything, but to get it to stop skipping and pop up correctly I used a pry bar/small crow bar between the metal plates at the bottom cog (I did have a friend hold the pry bar while I shoved the washers in place and lined up the bolts). The manual says you can put in up to 3 washers but I could only get in two on each side and it solved the problem (see picture attached). It basically lengthened the distance between the two cogs and straightened out the chain. I did not need a new chain, and after cleaning it up it looks like new anyway.

You have to use a drill and basic bit to remove the rivets to get the rear panel off. Others made it sound like that was going to be really hard but it was pretty simple with my Milwaukee drill. See the video I posted earlier in this thread that shows how to do it. I also chose not to put rivets back to make the removal process easier for future cleaning and maintenance. I used hex head sheet metal screws with split washers instead. The first time I went to pull the bed out the bedframe got stuck on a screw head and I had to use a pry bar to get it up and over the screw head, but ever since then it has come out with no problem (you camp with your toolbox, right? I was in the middle of nowhere when the bed was stuck.)

I tried to upload the lift repair manual but it's 14.2 mb and this site won't allow it. I got it on here somewhere, so try searching for "Coleman Fleetwood Lift System Repair Manual" in this site, then download it so you have it!

I'm laughing about your family members complaining about your camper. My parents are on the East Coast and have only seen my camper in pictures, so they have no comment. A guy I dated told me I should get rid of it because it had too many problems. I got rid of him instead--Lol!

jnc likes this.
  10. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I just tried searching within this site for "Coleman Fleetwood Lift System Repair Manual" and it came up with nothing. Then I typed "Coleman Fleetwood Lift System Repair Manual" directly into my browser search bar and it came up with several suggestions, including the link to the manual on this site. It's here--you just can't get there directly.

11. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

12. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

ROFLMAO! Brdeel, you sound like my kinda gal! If I ever get out to Colorado with my PUP, I hope you'll have a drink with me around the campfire! Yeah, I'm ready to go. I checked with Pop up Parts & they have everything I would need in stock if I have to replace anything. Between the video & the manual, I'm confident I'm good to go. Anyways I have a local camper mechanic that offered to help me out if I get stuck, but I think I'll be fine. One thing about being single, you learn to take care of things yourself, which is for the best anyway! Appreciate your feedback, as soon as we get a dry day around these parts, I'm going to tear into it & see what I find. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again!

brdeel likes this.
  13. brdeel

brdeel New Member

You can totally do this! Now that you have the information, have watched the video on removing the back end, and have your washers and pry bar, it's pretty straight forward. I was a little confused on getting the back panel off of the bottom bumper and finally figured out the metal bumper has to be removed before you can remove the white panel.

I'd be happy to join you for a drink around the campfire--yup birds of a feather! And indeed--being single allows me the freedom to figure things out and be much more independent then when I was married! I love knowing I'm smart and capable and can git'r'dun! Don't get me wrong--I'm happy to use my male resources for input and to point me in the direction, but when the day is done--it's me who solves the problem!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

Hi. Me again! Would you be willing to share a phone number & be my online resource buddy? You could contact me on kik for privacy. My kik ID is 92Hawkeye.

15. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

Any tricks for getting the bumper off?

16. brdeel

brdeel New Member

Sure! I don't have Kik, but my kids do. When they get home later today I'll have them send you a message with my phone number

17. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I guess it depends where you're getting stuck. The metal bumper has a bunch of screws underneath that have to be removed, and there are these little metal plates over the ends of the contact points you have to remove. The plates cover where the beams under the trailer connect with the metal bumper.

18. Miss Karla

Miss Karla New Member

Awesome! Tx! Btw, I got the bumper off. No problem once I took a closer look. Just had to drill the rivets out underneath. Can't get the dang drive tube off now. The pin behind the drive mechanism is completely stuck. Banged on it with a nail set & a hammer for a couple hrs. That didn't move it one iota - even after lubing it with WD40. Gonna try an air hammer next. Cant really fired a drill in there to drill the pin out. Could try heating it up with a torch to get it to budge but that's kinda scary considering how much wood is back there! Lol

19. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I just sent you a Kik message from my daughter, starts with Cutey. Once verified it's you we can exchange numbers. I didn't need to get the drive tube off, thank goodness, cuz it wouldn't come off either. I tried lots of stuff too, but it wasn't necessary to fix the chain.

20. Banjopikker

Banjopikker New Member