Love popup camping but.....

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by finsnspurs, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

We love our pop up but my old mechanics knees and back just cant hack setup anymore. We pickup our NTU Sunset Trail by Crossroads tomorrow. I also love this forum. The folks here are very helpful and resourceful. I will drop in from time to time if it is allowed. Seems a guy can always learn something here. Happy Camping crew. Kevin

BikeNFish, J Starsky and Rik Peery like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new camper, and no need to leave the site. Once a pop up owner always a pop up owner!

3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

For sure stick around! Share your experiences w/ your new shelter, post some pics, etc...rode hard & put up wet is the way to go lol

finsnspurs likes this.
  4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the hardside! We went dark this year for the same reasons you did, and I have a feeling I'm going to like it a lot!

I want to echo the others' sentiments about not leaving the site. Still lots of reasons to stick around!

finsnspurs likes this.
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure getting the big trailer with hard sides would be much different than my POPUP work wise for us.. I have electric lift on the roof... I have to pull the tent beds out by hand... All of the other things you do is about the same work effort with a popup or bigger trailer...

The big thing for us is pulling out all of the storage bins where we put everything for the trip... My POPUP has the front 5X8 deck and with my truck bed we bring along some serious supplies and things... Probably over-kill big time hehe...

I usually setup a second patio tent thing around the camp fire sitting area with our POPUP setup too... The first day is always work work work haha...

Having the big trailer sure would be neat however... Then you have to worry about backing into a spot more... Granted a longer trailer is easier to back-up than a shorter POPUP is...

Having all that extra room inside is big plus for sure...
    We camped a lot-off grid up until around 2014 with our off-road popup and just now getting back into camping again... Approaching that 80 years old mark so who knows how much longer I will be in the camping business hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

finsnspurs and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

They let me keep hangin' around - and you should too!

7. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the new trailer. As others have said..... no need to leave ! There are plenty of us dark-siders here. Heck, I still consider myself a tent camper.

finsnspurs likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome from of the dark-siders who stayed. We're still camping in the same places we've done in tents and pups, plus a few more. For me, the TT is definitely easier for my creaky joints, plus it has extended our season yet again. When we went from tent to pups, our season expanded and number of days camping per year increased, mostly due to my solo trips - my husband only has so many vacation days.

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to the dark side! Be sure to share some pictures with the rest of us!

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Me too.

J Starsky, finsnspurs and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I went dark last year and I still hang around. Going to the Dark Side isn't for everyone, but if it IS right for you, you're going to know it after the second trip.

I will say that going to the TT has DEFINITELY reduced my setup and teardown... substantially. With the PUP, about 50% of my "stuff" for a trip was in the back of the truck, and it had to be moved to from the truck to the PUP, then back each trip. Now, EVERYTHING is in the TT. I back in to my spot like a boss, drop the electric jack, unhitch and extend the electric awning and drink some gin. There is simply no comparison, for me, on the amount of setup between my TT and the PUP. And if I have to pack up in the rain with the TT... well, who cares if it is raining. That ALONE was the cinch for me because it rains a lot here.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the PUP, but I really love the TT, and so does my DW.

Stick around, I still learn a few cool things here.

eoleson1, Toedtoes and finsnspurs like this.
  12. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I still hang out here and even go to popup events ... i have 30 footer .

finsnspurs likes this.
  13. penny

penny Well-Known Member

this is a great place for all kinds of campers!
    I miss pop ups, but the convenience of little or no packing to go in the TT is a winner. a lot of our time away is traveling and staying the night where we stop for the night, and pop ups are not the best for that. our new TT is bigger than I wanted, but it seems just the right size now. To park and sleep is good. long time stays are great in that everything we need is already packed in the trailer. just need to start fridge and pack up the food and clothes. Love auto awning, already made up bed, etc, etc. So far, nothing is hard. I still yearn for a night in a tent or pop up....till darkness descends and the rustling begins. : =)

kitphantom and finsnspurs like this.
  14. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Just because you don't have a popup does not mean your popup knowledge is not valuable. Stick around!! Every successful team has a coach!

finsnspurs likes this.
  15. finsnspurs

finsnspurs Almost a Gpa!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! That is exactly why I kept coming here and will continue to a part of this forum. Absolutely think the world of this site and its people.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

exactly I enjoy the setup and tear down. But will probably go dark sometime soon because of Pam’s health it’ll just be easier on her. In fact that’s why we went from the tent to the pop up.

17. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

The got a "normal" camper for two reasons. 1. Several times his past summer we got caught in rain and needed to break it down wet. Of course we then set it up again at home to dry things out. 2. We work on trails and like to camp at works sites AND bring a 6x6 with us for doing that. Couldn't fit it all in the pup...... Still having fun in da woods.

18. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

What you learned with popups is directly transferrable to a dark side. congrats on the new unit. Happy Camping.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

[{:)] You're still flyin' canvas, so get outta our thread![put&pu]

Just kidding, I know this dude :D LOL

BikeNFish likes this.
  20. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

If you are such an ardent "Dark Side" dude, then why aren't you selling your pup?

I'll answer that. Cuz you are a closet canvas flyer! [PUC][HYC][TV] [Guitar] And at least I don't deny who I am!

And I don't know you! Well...I'd never admit it

J Starsky likes this.