LP cover in the way of WDH! Cut it??

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by emoney, Sep 22, 2018.

1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    So, the NTU Velocity is getting mated to a Reese WDH. As you can see here, some engineer tried to make it a smidge more aerodynamic with the LP/Battery cover;
    DE1E9BC7-F806-4BC5-AE2C-1A79B2F0F8E8.jpeg
    They went so far as to put indents in each side, I’m assuming, just for the lift brackets of a WDH since this style is so common;
    1432F913-40DA-4526-AEA2-F1DC28649A9F.jpeg
    E6E51707-17F2-4A00-9D04-3DAB3C12212C.jpeg
    Now, I haven’t tried to force the cover back into position because I’m not ready to place those brackets, what you see is a guess. My yard and driveway slope a little so I plan to hook up and go to the closest parking lot, find level ground, and set the whole WDH up properly. But, at initial glance, it looks like the indents still won’t allow for the brackets. My thoughts are to trim the cover to sit over them, but I thought I’d ask in case someone has found a workaround before me.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I wouldn't cut it yet. Maybe just some longer rubber tie downs maybe needed.

emoney likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The LP cover on our Retro is just the standard, hard, "plastic" type. It was in the way of the sway bar, so got removed as soon as we brought the trailer home and never re-installed. Once we switched to dual batteries, it definitely wouldn't fit. Not a problem for us.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    If that's the worst of your problems consider yourself lucky.

Our Cougar has a metal grate on the underside of the a-frame that serves as a tray for the battery and a couple blocks of wood. I have a Curt TruTrack Trunion WDH and had to cut out part of the metal grate to fit the saddles for the trunion bars.

To your question, once you get your WDH set I wouldn't be worried about trimming the cover. [:)C]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm the type of guy that would just lose the whole thing because I don't want to have to deal with it every time I have to touch the tanks or the battery.

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    But it looks kinda sexy lol

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Just have to do a mod with a couple boat inspection plates, one to access the tank valves and another to access the battery disconnect. Did this on our outback and only have take the cover off twice a year.