Lug Bolts Left and Right hand Threads

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by flymedic, Jun 8, 2009.

1. flymedic

flymedic 81 Coleman Sun Valley

May 1, 2009
    Auburn GA
    I just discovered that my 81 sunvalley has Left hand threaded bolt on one side and Right hand threaded bolts on the other side.
    Is that common? where can I find replacements?

2. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Limoges, Ontario
    On trailers that are equipped with bolts (instead of nuts on studs) to hold the wheels on, left and right handed threading is standard. As the wheel spins, the motion keeps the bolts from unscrewing.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Hmmm, this is good to know... Too bad Palomino NEVER added this info to the owners phamphlett!!!.

4. flymedic

flymedic 81 Coleman Sun Valley

May 1, 2009
    Auburn GA
    Thanks for the info Alex. Snow, Coleman left that detail out of their manual as well.
    I just got off the phone with the Coleman Dealer near me and they down carry the left hand threaded bolts.

5. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Limoges, Ontario
    Older Jaycos were that way also, at least my '74 was that way.

6. gsellers

gsellers New Member

May 2, 2008
    Evergreen, CO
    I think this was common in the old days. My '65 Scout has "L" printed on the left hand thread nuts. Any auto parts store should have them or be able to get them for you.

7. magicfish

magicfish New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    This is good to know. I'm going to need this info this weekend. Thanks for saving me some grief in advance.

Glenn

8. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Illinois
    That was old-school thinking. There were some Chryslers in the 1960s that had left-handed lugs on one side too. Eventually, people figured out that it wasn't necessary to do that and pretty much everything is right-handed now.

9. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

May 14, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I snapped a few Chyseler lug boltsi in my life.

10. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Limoges, Ontario
    Check out my profile - I'm old.

11. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Illinois
    Hey, old is a state of mind. I'm old when I'm at work. When I'm camping, I'm not.

12. mbopp

mbopp New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    I used to work in a tire shop. A customer brought in a '60's Dodge for tires. I had to stop one of the FNG's from taking an air gun to the left side tires. I asked the customer if he converted them to right hand, he laughed and said something about me being the only one in the shop old enough to remember that.