Made a towel rack that hangs and stores under the bunkend!

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CamperChrissy, Apr 12, 2019.

1. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

I'm so excited that I finished up this mod! I wanted to do it every since I saw it on thepopupprincess years ago, but our old PUP did not have enough room on the underside of the bunk. New PUP has plenty!

I made two towel racks out of 1/2 inch PVC that hang under the rear bunkend. They stow up under the bunkend and stay there when we slide in the bunk. I'm excited to have these built in and not have to bring along a stand-along drying rack. Just one less thing to worry about packing!

Here they are stowed. Notice I offset the clips that hold them up about 6 inches from the rings where the ropes are attached. You basically swing them up and back in to the clips. That way the ropes don't hang down and get tangled on anything.
    upload_2019-4-12_18-47-10.png

Hanging down:
    upload_2019-4-12_18-44-44.png

With grubby garage towels for illustrative purposes : )
    upload_2019-4-12_18-44-57.png

Close up of them stowed:
    upload_2019-4-12_18-45-8.png

Why so many? We always have 5 bath towels, a hand towel for me, usually a kitchen towel or two, and extra space for when we have bathing suits and beach towels.

Can't wait to try them out on our first trip of the year next weekend!

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks great. I need to add a second bar to mine.
    This is cool for space also, i just put mine in and am waiting on the straps to secure it.
    Not my vid, but i thought it was a cool idea for clothing storage.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I always just strung up bungie cords under the bunk. That also allows me to use clothespins to hold them on in the wind. Gosh knows if I don’t I’m picking up towels off the ground. The problem I’m facing is bungie cords stretch so things get bunched up and not dry evenly. So it’s still a work in progress. I like how yours can be stowed away right under the bunk. That is one less item to worry about. Although I’m curious how it’s attached and clipped under there.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Great idea !! and it looks good and will be really useful too. This is one thing that makes the portal so good is the sharing of ideas and projects. Thanks for sharing

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

6. Sjm9911

I only have one bar, she upped the game with a professional rack!

jmkay1 likes this.
  7. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

8. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

We used gate hinges and clothesline. That enabled me to use clothespins. My husband used a magnet to keep the hinges folded up when not in use. The magnets did have to be reglued after awhile.
    SAM_6227 small.JPG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    jmkay1 and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

I did use the broom clips like @Sjm9911 linked and I got them on Amazon. They were a little weak to hold the racks, so I used 2 on each end of the small rack and 3 on each end of the large rack. I picked them because this style was short enough to fit. Some of the other styles of broom clips stuck out way too far.

I also went with PVC because it's waterproof. Don't have to worry about wood or rope getting wet from the towels.

jmkay1 likes this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I added towel rods to the rear bunk only on all 3 sides. I used dowel rods, a snap kit that I had in the garage and an old luggage strap that I cut up. On mine I was unimpressed with the broom clips - they never seemed to do a great job holding the dowel rod, and also did not work very well for the bunk supports (mine was missing the front two when I bought the pup). As a result I installed snaps under the bunk, and the rods store inside under the dinette for travel. The straps snap back up under the bunks as well when not in use. Overall I was happy with mine, I was only out the cost of some cheap dowel rods, but I do need to coat them still, and add some friction compound as they spin on the button snaps, which will result in towels on the ground in windy days unless I use clamps.

I did a very similar bunk shelf to the video posted above, but I used paracord and carabiners to support in the center so I didn't have to drill any more holes. You do need to be careful on packing though - the shelf can rub holes in your canvas during travel, especially if you have a mattress topper like I do. I have 3 pinholes that I need to patch as a result, and I have a length of vinyl tubing that I hope to secure to the raised end of the shelf to protect the canvas. It is super handy to have though.

11. Sjm9911

Good point on the metal rubbing on the canvas, i was going to cover the ends with towles. So 4 towles. Hope that will work, and also open up space in the spare towel cabinet!