Make a New Awning or Use a Pop Up

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by emoney, Jul 13, 2018 at 6:14 AM.

1. emoney

emoney Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Our NTU p’up didn’t come with an awning and I’m wondering if I should buy some Sunbrella and make one or just use a Popup that’s on sale for $65 and wait until I can find one? Has anyone tried sewing one and what’s your opinion on the time/effort.

Our sewing machine should handle it, btw as we did a lot of work with it making upholstery etc. back in the Sailboat Days. I’m just wondering if I can end up with a nice looking option or is it not worth the man hours?

2. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    I created a simple one last month that cost about $40. Easy to do and worked great. I thought it looked pretty good with a white tarp. If you're interested ill tell you where I got everything. Got the idea from this page.

http://www.becauseimme.net/2014/12/camping-again-and-diy-awning-how-to.html?m=1

I also bring my screen room in case the site has no wind. Last week I had a bad problem with flies and was glad to have it. I see a lot of folks with the easyups. But those are so bulky. The screen room packs quite small. It was my $10 yard sale find! This pic shows both. The awning setup looks a little funny in this post because the site was sloped and the pup was in a hole. We had torrential rains and it worked perfectly.
    20180702_130116.jpg

emoney likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have used my EZup for multiple uses for both tent camping as an extra rain "shell" (1st pic) and for extra shade used in conjunction with my awning (pics 2 & 4). I also have a screen room (pic 3). I have used them in any combination depending on how much room I have or which is needed.

Before I bought my pup, I borrowed/rented a pup from a friend that had an awning that wasn't in working order so I would use both an EZup and screen room (pic 5) at the same time.

Circus Tent.jpg
    Grand Portage Setup.jpg
    Kansas Setup 02.jpg
    Mankato 03.jpg
    Camplite at GP.jpg

BelchFire and J Starsky like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I made a cheap $30 awning out of a heavy duty tarp. I do have to take it down before travel because I don't trust my cordage not to pull out of the track while driving. So far it's held up fine for a season. Had to play around with pole heights and rain run off to prevent pooling. im not 100% happy with it and working through minor kinks with the design but it is a cheap alternative until I could save up for something. I didn't like my EZ up because I couldn't get it close to the camper because the door is taller than I could raise the canopy. so the canopy I put just left of the door pressed up against the side. However I cook outside and the rain runoff was dripping onto my camp stove I had attached to the side of my camper. Not to mention heavy and cumbersome for a single person to set up. The "kinks" I have with my awning is because the tarp is so big (12x20) I have trouble getting the awning tight . my camper is 12' so have a big shade area in the front, but comes with a cost of possible pooling because I can't get it tight enough. I didn't want to cut it down because I want to still use the tarp as a tarp if needed.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It depends on what you want. You can buy an awning track and the rope that goes in it , then sunbrella, and some poles. Or you can get a pop up room. I just got the pop up room, I have the awning bit in needs to be sewed. I don't have experoance with eaither. As it hasent gotten delivered yet!

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Just get a screen room or canopy , much more versatile . You can use it even when you're not camping

7. emoney

emoney Member

Jul 7, 2018
    All good ideas, for sure. I have a popup canopy we keep up in the back yard, complete with mosquito
    netting (I live in FLorida, so that's a must have), and I like the idea you can screen it in as we plan to do
    quite a few local/weekend stays (a benefit to living here). But, at the same time, the one thing that annoys
    me is the easy ups always leave a gap from inside to under, so there's no way to not get wet should it rain,
    which it tends to do every afternoon in the Summer down here. The awning track is already installed on the
    camper, what type/size/style rope is sewn into material?

I'm debating this mainly because we had such success with sewing the new curtains. Then again,
    knowing my luck, I might want to "quit while I'm ahead", lol.

8. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
  9. emoney

emoney Member

Jul 7, 2018
    That's perfect, sjm!

10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010

Made of sugar ? :)

11. emoney

emoney Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Totally. Which is why I'm as sweet as can be. And do not believe anything my wife would say to the contrary.

BelchFire and bols2Dawall like this.
  12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I wish I could find a screen room like that for $10.00

What size is your screen room? I'm looking at a 10x10 from Academy. It is lightweight and easy to setup. If not for that, I couldn't use it.

13. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Jan 7, 2006
    Spartanburg, SC
    I have this one that is no longer sold. Actually i have two now...the 2nd was given to me! They had problems with the top section pooling water and leaking which was easily solved by raising it slightly. So nobody wanted them lol. I absolutely love the 13x11 size with no flooring so i can set it over the picnic table. 10 min to put up with 2 people although i have done it by myself.
    I also like that the top is vented so i can use my grill in it and the heat will rise out. Makes a difference on hot still days.
    http://www.campingstation.com/insta-clip-13-x-11-screen-shelter.html

14. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    My gazell? Came in from Amazon, I'll set it up later and take photos

15. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok, quick review. Wow , set up took litterly 5 minutes, that included opening the 2 boxes it shipped in and undoing the shipping ties. Without instructions piped up in seconds. It has a lip on the bottem to keep out the bugs, along with large gromits to hold it in place. It's big, I'm 6'6'' and it has plenty of head room. I have another of the steel shelters, that one is heavy. So much so that it has wheels on the case. This one I was able to swing over one shoulder and move easily. It only took one person to set up, hell it almost put itself up it was so easy. As to how it holds up, I don't know, but it looks to be decent quality. It was around 200 from Amazon shipped. I'm thinking , to help with the awning and screen room, I also have the hard sides for the screen room. This thing is way cool and easy! 20180714_170820.jpg 20180714_171000.jpg 20180714_170954.jpg 20180714_170840.jpg

16. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
  17. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It's screen, you can get hard sides I think.