Make your own Awning Track Hangers

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by instructorbill, Aug 12, 2012.

1. instructorbill

instructorbill New Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Can be used to hang tarps, lights, hang rope, or make your own awning. Strong as HECK

[​IMG]

for each one you make, you'll need 10 inches of paracord (ends melted), 1 inch of 1/4 inch rigid aluminum tubing, one M10 washer.

If you cut the rigid tubing with a pipe cutter you'll end up with a piece that's exact and easy to de-burr, but you can cut it with whatever you have. Cleaning up will vary in time required with other methods. An easy way to do this is to chuck the piece into a drill and turn it on a piece of sandpaper or pinched in a scotch brite pad. Remove all burrs and polish the ends and there won't be any risk of of scratching the inside of the awning track.

Lets begin with assembly.

1. pull paracord through the rigid aluminum tubing, hold ends together and tie a knot close to the ends.

2. slip the M10 washer over the rigid tubing with the cord pinched alongside the length of the tubing (pictured below) The washer is not necessary if you'll not be hanging a tarp.

[​IMG]

3. slide the assembly can be slid into the awning track and hang away!

Now, if you want to hang a tarp-- pinch the cord again against the tubing and push it through the grommet hole. The washer will prevent the knot from pulling through the tarp grommet.

[​IMG]

If you want more length to hang something at a lower height, knock yourself out-- cut the rope longer. Leave the washer off if you'd like, make more knots or whatever blows your dress up.

2. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    And here's a finished assembly all by it's lonesome.

simple, effective, inexpensive, customizable, lightweight and better than the one's I can buy at the local RV supply store.
    [​IMG]

3. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    Pretty slick! Thanks!

4. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    very slick indeed ! nice work

5. wlshafor

wlshafor New Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Awesome tutorial this will also work on kayaks & canoes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. phalynx

phalynx New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Very nice, I like it.

The only thing I'd say is make sure you deburr the inside of the tube if you use a pipe cutter (or any cutting tool) so there are no sharp edges cutting against the rope.

7. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    Well, Bill from Petaluma, that's the best deal I've seen yet for dealing with the awning track (that we all love to hate). The home made awning builders will flip with this and do happy dances. Consider putting "homemade awning" somewhere in there so their searches will find your post. You get my vote for one of the Top 3 Camper Whatzits of 2012, seriously.

8. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    Good point missing from the tutorial. Those of you with iPads can easily zoom in and see, others not so much, that the inside of the tubing has a nice rounded polished edge. This is to keep from sawing through your cord. To do this, while it is chucked in the drill for deburring push a folded corner of sandpaper onto the end while spinning for a few turns. To speed it up, you could also use a 3/8 inch drill bit. Push it lightly into the end while spinning... Drill is spinning the tubing, other hand holding the drill bit, light pressure. Other tools work... A countersink, razor blades, deburring blades, hole deburring tools. Most people will have larger drill,bits sandpaper, and other simple tools though. Good catch though.

9. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    You just did. Twice. Now I'll add DIY awning and do it yourself awning. :)

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks InstructorBill! I fully intend to steal this idea and use it in a few places!!

When is the next class?? [A]

[:D]

11. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    Pull up a seat at the fire... class is every day.

I have a little refinement for the hangers too. I'm going to try these from microplastics available through grainger.com

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MICRO-PLASTICS-Round-Spacer-3ZMF7?Pid=search

I'm not sure how the assembly will go, but I'll keep the group posted.

12. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Simple, easy and very effective. I have an awning that nearly uses the entire track but there is some still at each end that I have thought about trying to utilize. Now I know how. Thanks for sharing.

13. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    Here's an update. [:D]

nylon spacers work great and without the cutting, deburring, and polishing.

Cheap woven core "paracord" works well with a single knot. The better, stronger, and more expensive 550 paracord needs a bigger knot to work with the M10 washer.

Patent pending. [8D]

[​IMG]

14. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
  15. Tonimus

Tonimus Member

Jul 11, 2012
    You, Sir, are a genius. Great idea. Now to think up a way to cover the gap between the roof and the tarp to keep the rain out...

16. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    I've got that... but I've got to work today, more on the way.

17. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    These are great. I have a canopy that slide in there.....but now I am wondering about the other side...is there channel there? I bet I can find a use if there is!

18. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 New Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Central Oklahoma
    I added those words to the thread, not your post. Thought you might like to draw search hits directly to your username, but if that's neither here nor there, where is it?
    Hope the patent works out.

19. instructorbill

Jul 29, 2012
    It's more expensive than I thought, but you miss 100% of the chances you don't take

20. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Impressive!