March 2019 - So what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Mar 1, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

March - while more northerly regions are still hip-deep in winter, we're starting to see glimmers of spring in the high desert SW.
    This is the battery charge reminder for those needing it.

I took a couple of things out to the TT when I went out for the paper this morning. Checked battery level with the idiot-light indicator on the wall, I unplugged it from house power earlier in the week. It indicated good, until I turned on some (LED) ceiling lights, when it went to fair. Will check after a couple of hours. I still suspicious of the 4 year old batteries.
    Realizing that I have just under 3 weeks until my first trip, solo for close to 10 days, I'm trying to prioritize the list of off-season mods and repairs.

2. kitphantom

After an hour and half or so, the indicator went back to good when I turned the lights off. One thing on the wish list is an inline battery meter, to give more concrete info. (We have a plug in meter, but the 12v outlet is hard for me to reach - one of those placements that's puzzling as to who thought it was a good idea.)
    I need to finish sewing the rings on ribbon for tie backs for the new curtains. Good thing I had only finished a couple, since they turned out to be too long. Not difficult to fix at this point; very happy I didn't have to re-do all 10 of them.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Getting caught up in the past week, I awoke the pup from its winter slumber! It’s back in the garage at home now, where it belongs. The first order of business was replacing the brakes. I had just installed them a couple years ago, but have been fighting with them ever since. I couldn’t get them adjusted right as even when they were working halfway decently, they made a horrible noise. So I found a set of Dexter ones (first set was generic ones from etrailer) on eBay in the off-season. It’s still too early to know for sure, but so far it’s looking promising.

Then I took advantage of the one 60 degree day this week and popped up and down in record time to pack stuff for an upcoming trip. Now it’s just waiting patiently for a weekend with even half-decent weather.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Made reservations for a local (dry) campground on the lake! The grandkid has a 3-1/2 day weekend coming up at the equinox, so we're going to give it a real-world test. The site I picked is fairly private and not too far from the bathhouse, and most of the sites (including this one) are pull-through.

If I forget something, we're 10 miles from the nearest retail district and 20 miles from home.

3 weeks to get everything ready…

Camp Pineapple Gal and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Understatement! I have no room to put any more snow at the end of my driveway and around my patio. The snowblower is having problems launching the snow over the berm. The snowline for both are at my eye level. I am 6' tall. We got another 6+ inches today.

The tabs for my camper are stuck to the side of the refrigerator by magnet. I will hopefully renew them by the end of the month, but the camper doesn't come home until the snow is gone. That could be a while.:mad:

Sjm9911 and kcsa75 like this.
  6. kitphantom

Today was cloudy but warm, so we got a couple of small things done in the TT - batteries into flashlights and max/min thermometer (even though refrigerator is not yet turned on), new metal "chalkboard" on refrigerator with Command Velcro. For many mods, we're just tweaking things we've already done.
    Still trying to figure out a fix to cover up the space over the refrigerator, where a decorative wooden piece broke off late last season. Prioritized the mod and repair list, hoping to get the most important done next weekend. Weather is supposed to get windy and rainy tonight through tomorrow, so that's probably all we'll accomplish this weekend.
    The batteries are still a puzzle, I'm ready to declare 4 years a good lifespan and buy new ones. They show full charge after charging, but as soon as we turn on the lights, the plug-in meter shows it as something like 11.3v. I'll be an hour plus from town for the first dry trip, so I want something I can trust.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just ordered new pedestal legs for the FnR. When I added the platform to the couch the tv tray was too low. So my boss is going to take two legs and combine them into one taller leg. Then I will add a new table top.

The original table drove me nuts because it was too big to sit comfortably on the couch. When I did measurements, I found it was jutting over the seat by a good six inches. And it stuck into the walkway so I had less than eight inches to walk. So I'm looking at building a new table top that is about 12 inches wide. But found that the pedestal base is only 3 inches from the edge of the couch. So, I think I'm going to make a "curve" in the middle of the couch side so it comes in about 3 inches more just where the pedestal connects and then narrows to the 12 inches where we would sit and eat. This should give it more stability without being in the way when I recline sideways (my normal couch position).

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Brushed snow off the PUP, checked batteries.
    However, I did start booking camping sites for this season, first trip is in May and snow better be gone by then!
    Made some purchases, got some solar panels, new GC2 AGM batteries on sale and a second hand 2000W propane generator.
    I'll do some mods to get the PUP unserviced site ready.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. kitphantom

Took everything out of the dish cupboard/pantry. I think we finally got it caulked right last year, there was hardly any dust in it. It shares part of a wall with the outside space of the fridge and there had been a gap.
    Got everything cleared out of my closet, we bought wood to install shelves there yesterday. Discovered that the side piece of the door has warped and cracked - yay, arid climate strikes again. A piece of trim between wall and ceiling has also come loose, so those both add to repairs needed before the first trip.
    Turned the fridge on, I'm going to start moving staples (butter, syrup, ketchup, etc.) into it this week.
    First trip begins two weeks from Thursday or Friday. Will probably go buy new batteries this weekend, I think we've finally decided they are just not dependable.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

@kitphantom you're making me green with envy!! Can't wait to get my tt home and start restocking! Hopefully I will have no surprises after it's long winter slumber! Still have a way to go....

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. kitphantom

@neighbormike - I lived in WNY until I moved to the SW 30 years ago - so happy for shorter winters - and sunshine! Still, we've had enough cold weather that I am definitely ready for spring (in spite of allergy season). We were in Tucson week before last when they had snow on the ground!
    Showed Courtenay the crack in my closet door when he got home from work - looking closely at the door on his side, it also has a crack, though on the hinge side. Eventually we may just replace both doors; they work for now, so are lower on the priority list than a few other things.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just got all my spare keys made and organized. No more having to search for the one key that fits the fuel tank anymore. :rolleyes:

Have everything loaded in the clipper and ready to go except food and my "orange bag" (consists of meds, electronics, etc.). Now to just go camping!

Table posts for the FnR arrive next week so that should be completed by the end of the month. Also got a new fridge exhaust fan so will install that in the FnR.

That should complete the "things that need to be done" with the trailer except my front wheels chock a buddy is going to make me. Then it's just a matter of finishing the purchase of things I will need for travel.

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

So far I have been preparing for my trip starting on the 12th of march. Since it hasn't been out since the trip in June last year and a lot has to be done to get it ready.

kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Was in the garage and I whispered to it "Spring is coming soon!"

DJNC, momofEAP, Kampus and 1 other person like this.
  15. kitphantom

I'm trying to get ready for the first trip, in two weeks, as easily as possible. Last trip was Thanksgiving, and after that it was winterized, with a lot of the supplies pulled out for winter. This time I actually made a list as I brought things in the house for winter, so I don't miss retrieving any from various storage spaces in the house. So, I'm gradually cleaning and moving things back in. For instance, I turned the fridge on yesterday, so today I put a couple of blue ice in the freezer while I was out getting the paper. Small steps!
    Since we will likely still have freezing weather before I leave, flushing and sanitizing the water system will have to wait until the weekend before.

16. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I paid the insurance on the pup yesterday. The insurance wasn't due until the end of the month but I felt compelled to do SOMETHING camper related.

6"-11" of snow in the forecast for this weekend with an additional 4"-8" next Wednesday and Thursday. After the record snowfalls in February and more on the way, we are a LONG ways from spring here in the North.

The pup is stored inside an airplane hanger in Wisconsin. I'm sure it's feeling abandoned and lonely. I hope it's finding solace among the other lonely RV's and boats. Winter takes such an emotional toll on summer toys. Very sad.

momofEAP, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

So anxious to get out at least on one trip. Sadly with my new position vacation d

18. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I renewed my license plate for it... and have a pile of new stuff to load into it when it comes home in (hopefully) 4-5 weeks... First trip is planned for May 3rd - I doubt we'll have any really good weather prior to that.

19. kitphantom

Small steps again today. I finally found a way to better clean the window grooves and lube them. Giant swabs (2 styles), Q-tips, toothpick, and paper towels all came into play today to get the grit out of the grooves. Then, I soaked the giant swab with the Teflon lube and was able to brush it on bottom groove and top one. When I just spray the lube, I can't do the top side, and the bottom one tends to just run out of the rain drip hole and down the outside. Windows move easier, at least for the time being. (With all our dust and grit + wind, it doesn't take long to get in the grooves.) Those giant swabs would have been handy to clean the bed slide grooves in the popup!
    Working on storage areas and re-stocking, as well as eliminating things not needed.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Stopped by the storage and patted the roof, assuring the popup that I would be camping soon.. told the camper that I got a new job promotion and have been busy...

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.