March 2019 - So what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Mar 1, 2019.

1. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

I've been working on making a tonguebox kitchen for our camper. Something nice to use outdoors with a sink and easy access to the stove with some extra counter space. I've added some aluminum trim but don't have any recent pictures. Hopefully it'll be ready in time for the start of camping season (mid to late April)
    IMG_4272.jpg

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

DW and I drove down to the storage shed to take a look at the camper. We were going to measure for new flooring, but when we got there (65 miles away) we realized we forgot to bring a tape measure. Ugh. It was a nice ride anyway. [:)C]

momofEAP, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats something i would do!

4. Sjm9911

Thats something i would do!

5. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

Yup, We did that a lot too until I found a small 3 foot Stanley locking tape measure. It's about the size of a half dollar and 1/2" thick. It stays in my pocket book with my retractable box cutter of the same size and shape... well, that comes out if I'm going to the airport...

Camp Pineapple Gal likes this.
  6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This morning, Courtenay pulled the batteries to go buy new ones. We got to the store to discover they were closed today, so that's on my list for next week. Hoping they're good about taking the old ones inside and putting the new ones in the truck - at 65# or so, I can't budge them.
    Courtenay got most of the replacement stove vent done; the original had yellowed a lot over the past season, and cracked. He had to trim off about 1/2" of the plastic part that connects to the inside. Then he discovered that both rolls of butyl tape had pretty much dried out after 9 years in our garage. That went on the list for the store at the dealer's tomorrow.
    I redid the tie-backs for the new curtains, attaching them the wall as the previous ones were. The first set I made this time were just ribbon and rings to hang on a small hook - they were so light they kept hopping off the hook as we brushed by or the wind blew.

7. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Finished up the first phase of getting more power into the trailer. Heading to Death Valley in two weeks for a rally so I think I'm going to hold off on anything else on the power side. Started cleaning up the factory wiring. Got the grounds moved to a terminal strip. Next time will be the positives and control stuff. Some of the wiring just boggles in the mind. I can see why they did it but it just makes me wonder. All of the connections I'm moving over are on ring terminals and I had just enough to do what I did. Forget Teflon tape so I couldn't install the new anode rod. Next weekend I need to reseal around a few hatches.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Did the fridge fan mod, repacked bearings, replaced tires and wheels. Need to remove fridge burner and clean it and to replace the stabs....next Saturdays job

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Cleaned her up real good, wash and wax job on her. Changed out water filter and did pressure test, all is good. Put a new layer of Diccore around roof vent. Checked wheel bearings, torque on lug nuts and had to add some air in each tire, greased lifter arms . Will load her up today for a 4 day trip starting on Wednesday. Spring has finally made to this part of the world, hope you guys and gals in the northern part of the world get to get out soon. Happy Camping!!

10. JWeible

JWeible Member

Booked a couple trips for May and June. Updated the first aid kit. It’s been too rainy or windy to open her up since we brought her home a few weeks ago. On spring break this week, hoping to have a nice day to get her up and filled with all our stuff. I need to get in there to figure out how we are going to organize. Not much storage space inside compared to our last pup.

11. kitphantom

Courtenay finished installing the replacement stove vent. Comparing old and new it was amazing how much the original one had yellowed; it was also cracked.
    He also removed my closet door to repair it, which made trying to put shelves in the closet a bit easier. The odd shape of the closet - the back wall is the curved rear wall of the trailer, it's wider at the bottom too, where the bed base is - and tight access, it's been a challenge. We've decided to not build shelves in there, but to use two metal ones we already have. Of course, that meant another trip to the store for more fasteners to hold them together, so end of the work for the day.
    As long as we were going to Lowe's, we decided to buy thicker plywood for the top of the "step" storage. I use it for a foot support, and sometimes we stack a box or two on it, so 1/2" makes more sense.
    Otherwise, we're slowly restocking things - it all has to be done before the first trip, for most things it doesn't matter in what order it happens. I'm waiting until next weekend to flush and sanitize the water system though, since the weather this week isn't going to be nice, and we may have a freeze.
    Here are the new curtains, and our found storage space.

Attached Files:

kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

We pulled the pup out of storage to drop it off at the shop. Getting tires, bearings, brakes, and electrical looked at.

This was our first time hitching up a trailer. The hitch is so much easier on flat ground! First time towing as well. I need to tighten the ball on my car a lot more than it is. That should take care of the horrible noise every pothole and bump caused.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Finally made the time to throw my battery on the charger yesterday. Haven't charged it since our last trip in November. Was surprised to see it at 85% but only took about 1.5-2 hours to bring it to 100%.

14. kitphantom

Monday, I bought the new batteries. I asked if they had better options for the set-up or suggestions for battery charger. The type of charger we have was deemed OK, and they said (for what it's worth) that the dual 6v set-up will give us very good results. Since that's been our experience, and we got 4 full seasons out of the batteries, in spite of abusing them the first year, and having the converter go wonky last year (so who knows how they charged during that blip, I was on a trip), I was good with straight replacements. They're still sitting in the garage, waiting for installation. The new cut-off switch and locking Python (Masterlock) cables arrived this week too. I thought I'd ordered cables keyed alike, but they're not.
    As we've added or changed camper and towing locks over the years, the collection of keys just keeps growing. I have p-touch labels on a few, guess I'll have to go through them again and make sure they're all good.
    Weather has been bad this week, though not as bad as many places, so I've been working on getting things ready to put into the trailer. The big push will be this weekend, I leave at the end of next week, 10-day solo for the first trip of the year.

15. kitphantom

Took a tote of stuff out to the TT when I got the mail. After snow and cold yesterday, the sun is out, so I hope to get some work done inside later today; it was still in the 30s inside the trailer.
    Got a notice that the campground (@ Chaco NM) we were going to for Easter weekend was going to be closed then, so our reservation was cancelled. Made new reservations, at Navajo Lake SP, so in the same area of the state, but not down a gnarly dirt road. We've never been to the state park, and have wanted to explore more of that area of the state, so it's good. Since I'm planning to go to a Sisters on the Fly event there in July, it'll also be a chance for me to scope the campground out - we have the site directly across from the one I reserved for that trip.

16. kitphantom

We ended up with only an hour and half to work on the TT today. Courtenay installed the new batteries, cut-off switch, and Python locking cables. We had to do the usual song-and-dance to get the power on inside - it happens every time we remove the batteries, maybe even just disconnect them. Finally, hooking up the TV to the TT, starting it, letting it run a couple of minutes, turning it off, and then on again produced power inside.
    We also disconnected the USB outlets - they aren't in a useful place, and it just seemed a reasonable thing to do to eliminate any vampire draw.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I finally got away for several days of camping @ Torreya State park, Pebbles and I had a great time, at least it was dry and the weather was really great except for the wind.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  18. Sjm9911

Grease the ball and receiver.

Muller 5 and brwarrior like this.
  19. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

At the end of April, we're embarking on a trip from southeastern Louisiana to California and back, catching several state and national parks along the way.

Needless to say, I've been working on the A-liner like a madman to get it ready.

I finally received the Dexter axle I ordered. Hopefully I can start the install of that next weekend.

[​IMG]

20. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I got a late start after errands today. Installed new wiring for the incoming solar wiring. I have the connector loose in the AC cord hatch. Being a ham we just love Anderson PowerPoles so I got sky blue ones for the solar positive. Installed the anode rod but I need to get some water to flush all the gunk out of the tank. Vacuumed out the furnace compartment that had never been cleaned out...ever. Vacuumed out the fridge compartment and coils. Started on stripping the caulking around the fridge vents and the shower. Tomorrow I'll do the sealing/caulking work.