Mattress size, sheet size, comforter size?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by JbirdsChick, Mar 23, 2017.

1. JbirdsChick

JbirdsChick One Big Bird, his Chick, and 2 Hatchlings

Jul 9, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    Please share what size is your mattress. i.e. Mine is 66x80.
    Then share what size sheets and bedding you use.

Attached Files:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontaio
    I forget what our pup's bed measurements were, but they were rear queen and front king.. we have always used sleeping bags, so for DW and myself on the queen bunk it was an open sleeping bag on the bottom and either blankets, comforter or sleeping bag on top.. Kids had the king and each used their own sleeping bag..

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    70 x 80 for both bunks. I use a king fitted sheet. It has enough elastic to keep it relatively flat and in place once you get enough of it under the mattress. I have a 2.5" foam topper on the mattress, then a waterproof mattress protector, then the sheet. I bought a king set on super low clearance last year, so I use the king flat sheet as well. However, it is a little too big, and a queen would be a better choice I think. However, this is what I have so I will make do. At least it all matches!

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I believe both of my bunks are also 70x80. I bought a queen size mattress protector stretching the elastic to fit on the slightly larger bed. I use jersey sheets also queen size. The jerseys sheet material is designed to stretch so it fits my matress perfectly. I bought a medium weight flannel blanket also in queen size as my comforter. The blanket is the same size of the matress on the side so no tucking, but tucked at the feet. I like using sleeping bags if night time temps drop down to low 40's. It works for us, but I'm not picky. If my mom camps with me I may have to find regular king sheets as I fear the jersey sheets will be too hot for her.

5. JPBar

JPBar Active Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I tried the sheet thing on the beds. It seems to take as long to put sheets and blankets on the bed as it does to set up the entire camper. I found that a double sleeping bag is much easier. That's just my opinion though.

6. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I agree, it is a bit of a pain to remake beds each morning. I'm toying with the idea of sewing the top sheet to the fitted sheet along the bunkend and bottom. Will try for one bed for first trip of the season, then do the same for the other bunk if it works better

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I agree, I hate making up the beds. However, I prefer sleeping in a bed with sheets and a cover or quilt. I sleep so much better that way than in a sleeping bag. I also limit my camping to two night minimum stays, so it is not quite as bad. It would suck having to do it daily if I was moving and setting up/taking down each day on a trip.

8. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our first pup was tiny, so just under a full-size mattress. We tried sleeping bags, zipped together, but that was a pain, because they were wider than the mattress (did I mention it was a tiny pup?). We ended up using full size flannel sheets, tucking in the excess. We didn't have enough clearance to leave anything except the mattress pad and bottom sheet on, so anything required making and unmaking the bed.
    Second pup had mostly a full-size mattress. We continued to use real flannel sheets, Polartec blankets, and a quilt; again we had to remove everything but the bottom sheet/mattress pad to close up. For us, it wasn't enough extra effort than coping with sleeping bags, and much more flexible for the wide range of temperatures we encounter. We've been known to have temps from below freezing to over 100* on one trip. When we know we'll have power in cold weather, we add an electric mattress pad, none of our campers have had heated mattresses.
    Our TT has a "short queen" mattress, with the lower corners cut at an angle, it's a walk-around bed. We are able to use the full-size electric mattress pad on it, there is about 3" gap on each edge where the heated part doesn't cover. We use just flat queen sheets (LL Bean sells great flannel sheets, separately), because the combination of being short and those angled corners made fitted sheets fit weird.

10. JbirdsChick

Jul 9, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    Ok, I probably should know this, but what is the average measurements for what is considered to be a "queen" or "king" popup mattress? Is mine a king or a queen? (66x80)

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    All the TT I looked at had queen beds that measured 60x80. My 70x80 is considered a king.

12. thethird152

thethird152 Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    We've struggled with appropriately sized sheets in our large bunk (large bunk in the rear, smaller one up front, which we never use). We ultimately settled on a king sized set of sheets (they were too big) for the last year, coupled with a memory foam mattress topper and any number of big poofy comforters....until now. We finally broke down and bought two twin sized Aerobeds (we've spent MANY nights on large air mattresses, and it's just not comfortable with more than one person) that we are going to try out next weekend at the Sewer Rally. The biggest challenge in this scenario will be up to the dog....

13. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    Standard mattress sizes (in inches):
    twin 39 X 75
    full (aka double) 54 X 75
    queen 60 X 80
    king 76 X 80

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The mattresses in popups seem to be in their own universe, they are almost never consistent with the size of home mattresses. In many TTs and RVs, at least the larger ones, some do approach "standard" sizes. Our short queen is actually just about the width of the queen at home, but ~6" shorter.
    One thing that adds to the problem of well fitting bedding is that sheets are not only designed for the width x length of a domestic bed, they are now often designed to fit mattresses up to 14" (or more) in depth. Our thickest pup mattress was about 4" in depth, our TT one is about 7".

15. JbirdsChick

Jul 9, 2012
    Central Kentucky
    We got the pup out yesterday and I official measured instead of using the manual/manufacturer website, which said it was supposed to be 66x80, but in reality it's 66x75 so I'm trying to figure out what size blankets to get. Why can't they just be normal sizes :huh:

I'm thinking I should do King comforter or quilt and have it be alitte big versus being too small

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  16. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    I go with the larger size. We mostly camp in the mountains, so nights are cold. I like to have lots of extra comforter to avoid cold drafts.

17. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
    we use queen size blanket on the king bed, and it's enough for two of us. If it's cold, it's usually from the bottom so a fleece blanket helps there. I have thin camp pillows that we put under our regular pillows (kinda half way) to keep them higher and also block the draft from the tent around the head area.

18. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Oct 28, 2015
    Midwest
    We have 70 X 77 king beds. We use Deep-Pocket Percale Sheets queen size and a queen size comforters.

19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My wife and I take two large rectangular sleeping bags and zip them together. Nice and warm [:D]

20. ksawin127

ksawin127 New Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Midland, MI
    Our beds are both 70x72 so in between a queen and king size bed. I bought queen size comforters though, you don't need the extra material because there is no overhang on the mattress like there is at home. I would compare the measurements of the comforter to your bed size and go from there. Our comforter measures 88x92 which is plenty big for the size beds we have.