May 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 2, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

A day late, sorry, but that gives you a chance to have done something this month!

Not much activity with our TT right now, next trip is Memorial Day week. I'm in and out about once a day, if for no other reason than to reset the max/min thermometer for the fridge and cabin. I did order a mattress pad for the dinette bed, that bed will be used for the first time for a SOTF even in early June. I keep thinking of that as being a long time yet, but realized I really have to have things ready to go before we head out for the Memorial Day trip. With only three days at home between trips, it'll be a quick turn around.

2. Mike76

Mike76 Member

Removed the switch box and burner assembly of our Dometic RM2193, cleaned everything out, replaced the peizo igniter which the button on the original one had shot out like a cannon sometime last year. Got everything back in and against all odds no propane leaks, all three heating options on the fridge work (well!) and the peizo igniter makes sparks again.

Most of this was all due to some posts on this forum with tips and pictures, which is great!

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I had the very fun job of replacing our toilet valve and recaulking the bathroom! I hurt from crawling and wedging myself in to every little corner of the bathroom (and rubbing against the toilet half the time). But I did it, no leaks, and we get to use our toilet on our trip this weekend. Hooray!

4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Ordered a propane fire pit

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am taking mine camping... as soon as this too-long work day is over!

Sjm9911 and jmkay1 like this.
  6. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Got her ready for the summer! Lubed her up, replaced a fuse in the cassette. Ordered a new bunk end light, and seal for my cassette. Ready to run next Friday only 6 days till my first trip of the season!

Sjm9911 and Natureangel like this.
  7. Tbd1964

Tbd1964 New Member

Installed new dometic awning, replaced the connector to the lp tank and gave her a good wash. Still have lots of projects to do though

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

Orderd the stuff for an out door shower ill give it a run through maybe Monday/Tuesday also i got new latches for the ice chest Coleman has a great steel belted ice chest but the latch is terrible so i put on new ones and added a gasket on the lid so it seals up tight were gone for 5 nights over memorial day so anything to make the ice last a bit longer is worth it 20190504_164601.jpg 20190504_164516.jpg

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I picked up some cleaning supplies, boltsfor securing the propane to the bracket, and soft metal poles so I can bend it in the shape I need for the bunk end supports.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

Completed Tasks:
    - Added Blue Ox WDH from eTrailer.com.

- Added two 140w Kyocera solar panels to dormers. AM Solar tilt-able mounts using VHB 4950; Be sure to use pure isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the fiberglass; Covered each foot with two overlapping strips of EternaBond tape; I used cable guides with double stick tape to route the solar cables along the dormers and then under the trailer via PVC conduit to the battery box on the tongue. These panels are always "on" to charge the batteries and run the onboard refrigerator. (Engine alternator and solar are both connected to trailer batteries while driving.) Solar charge controller is a PWM from Bogart along with their TriMetric to monitor system health.

- Remote deployable set of 2 or 3 solar panels (140w Kyocera) with 100' of cabling connected to a Victron 100/50 MPPT controller.

- I previously purchased four RV Generator boxes.* The large size can hold one Honda 2000 generator and the medium size can hold a fuel tank above the generator. My plan is power my A/C with one generator (see below). I lined one of the boxes with Dyna Mat noise suppression material (think thick sticky tarpaper). The rear bumper was strengthen and extended to support this load. See attached photos.

Tasks Currently in Process (Contractor):
    - Counter top replacement with WilsonArt Chesapeake Antique Wood laminate.

- Widening cabinet door openings

- Cabinet knob replacement

- Construction of a battery/electrical cabinet between the sink and shower/toilet for future home of Lithium batteries.

- Removing Dometic RM2354 3-way icebox and replacing it with an IsoTherm Cruise 130 (true refrigeration) and lower power consumption. (Anyone interested in a slightly used 2354?)

Tasks Scheduled:
    - Installation of MicroAir Easy Start on our Dometic Cool Cat. I should be able to run the air conditioner using a single Honda 2000 generator.

- Tapping my existing 7-way wire/cable from our engine's alternator to power a portable Dometic refrigerator (CF-50). We carry the CF-50 in the back of the truck. The starting battery is protected by a solenoid relay. This will allow me to continue powering the CF-50 when the engine is off via the trailer batteries.

I will update this post with additional photos documenting my projects. I have also attached a photo of the remodeled interior window treatments and cushions.

*https://www.rvgeneratorbox.com

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

penny, Mike76, Sjm9911 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

I re-installed the panel next to the door after re-sewing the window, moved her around my backyard, plowed the yard at the same time :(

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Technically installed the end of April, but who's counting .
    I devised a light I can keep by the outside stove so I can see when I cook. Not really needed in the summer, but when fall comes I'm going to need something. Essentially used my tarp pole under the lip of the popup, bungie to hold it in place and an extra bunk end light clipped on the pole. That can also work when on 12v power as my outside light has that aux outlet. Don't know why it took me 5 years to figure that out. It's simple and quick to setup that's the way I like it. Next up figure out my wireless camera, solar panel setup, and install strip lights. IMG_20190331_115625865-1000x750.jpg

13. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

The wife wanted a lamp to leave on in the pup when we are outside at night...I told her I didn't want to waste the power leaving a light on....so I made her some "decorative lamps". Take them outside during the day to charge, move them inside after dark. Cost $4.
    20190505_181545.jpg

We also took a ride over to our favorite campground and picked out our "seasonal" site. I think this past winter and wind took enough old trees down that I can finally get back into our favorite tent site with the pup in tow now.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  14. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Replaced the slider thermostat with a digital one. We hard a heck of a time trying to find a comfortable setting last time we were camping.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. DesertRed

DesertRed Member

We are pulling the incorrectly installed powerwinch that was on when we bought it and reinstalling the upper and lower assembly and the whiffletree on our Fleetwood Sequoia...so far so good. While we're at it we'll be resealing and replacing the vinyl strips at the corners. Fingers crossed it all continues well and we are happy with the results!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz New Member

Stashed the camper at a friend's house so that I could do some maintenance and improvements. I painted the cabinets, reversed the fridge door and painted the insert "appliance white" with an enamel paint, and then put down vinyl flooring.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

The MDF didn't take the paint or primer very well, so I might be re-making doors and putting in some different counter tops eventually. This is a '93 model, but with all the gold hardware and accents the manufacturer used, I'd swear that they bought out all leftovers from the 80s...

Two days of masking, painting and flooring and oh my aching knees and back! My wife (who doesn't camp) even said "Oh wow, it's pretty!" I'll take that as a compliment and hope that she'll join us one day. The whole point of the "makeover" was to make it feel a little more comfy for her. The darker finish made her feel enclosed, I was hoping that the white would brighten it up and make it a little less claustrophobic for her.

At some point, someone had pulled the icebox and then put it back in, but didn't put the drain through the floor, so it was all bent up and couldn't drain. Not that we've ever used it as an ice box, but it's nice to know it's functional again if we do need to use it. Was going to do 15 other things to it this weekend, but underestimated the amount of time it would take to do what I did get done.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Installed an anti-sway bar tonight. The pup pulls fairly nicely, but tends to have just a bit more sway than I like...not bad, I've been pulling it for 3 years now, & never an issue, mainly just for my mental comfort. We'll give it a try this weekend.

theseus likes this.
  18. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Secured my propane tank and installed a new exterior door handle.

19. 10Barge

10Barge New Member

We are embarking on a month long road trip so we had a lot of things to do to our NTU pup that we bought last fall:
    Test propane tank & Grill
    Buy new battery & hook up
    fasten propane tank & battery
    install electric water pump, test and sanitize on board tank
    learn how to drain the water
    Understood what & how the kill-switch works
    braced the floor where water had damaged
    fixed where the water was coming in
    removed decals and prep for paint
    bought the drill attachment to lift the stabilizers!
    grease lift chains & tighten so the door fits in all the way

can't wait to post all the pics!

Kampus, kitphantom and Mike76 like this.
  20. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Started working on a generator mount for the tongue. Throwing a test mount together with some scrap wood, then off to my buddy to fab one up.