May 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, May 2, 2019.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Have the pup parked in the driveway while we clean the loft out in the garage and get some work done on the table saw. While the pup is in the driveway I have been watching the roof slowly turn green from pollen!!! totally disgusting!!! It will need a serious washing before I move it back into the garage!

tenttrailer and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I'm the cheering section to this thread. I love to read about everyone's plans and efforts.
    DH finished reconfiguring our L shaped dinette seating to be just along the wall. Makes everything more open. Found chairs that are perfect in there, and finally a bed covering that fits and looks good. Very content with the trailer for now.

momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

We had some fun with our propane tanks

20190312_192348-1008x490.jpg

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

They start out innocent enough , before long they grow up! There will be collage costs , weddings , yellow lego grandchildren, etc. You walk a fine line wingman, its not to late to paint them white. ( i just hope there bodies don't come back for there heads!)

WingmanHG likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The mobile detailer was here Wed, and did the truck and TT. He got all the bug splats off both, and the tar on the truck. The diamond plate on the TT is beginning to look less-than-new, but the rest looks really nice, except for the ghosting from the original decals. We had the detailer do the rubber roof treatment too.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Cleaning, repairing a leaking window, made other fixes from the last three trips, added fridge vent fan.

Have a 4 day trip planned next week followed by a 3 week trip end of May - Start of june.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. doc_mosi

doc_mosi New Member

I bought my pup this spring. Haven't been camping yet. Two weekends ago I did the axle flip and increased the wheels to 14's with a friend helping. Last weekend I replaced the gravity fill water hose. (I discovered it was dry rotted when doing the axle flip). Once the fill hose was replaced I hooked up water and promptly flooded my Pup. Later that day I replaced both sink supply lines.

Up this weekend is checking the propane system for leaks.

8. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I had a problem with the top latches for the roof being loose. Of coarse I immediately feared water damage but the wood was solid. In spite of being loose the rusting screws were impossible to move. I ended up spraying a bit of PB Blaster on them and managed to get them off. Only snapped one.
    A trip to Ace and Home Depot i failed in finding the right length of screws so I purchased the longer ones, inserted with Tee Nuts and locking washers on top of that to prevent the screws from catching on the canvas.
    It feels very solid now and I think it will hold up.
    Now if it would only stop raining so I can dewinterize...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

After bringing it home weeks ago, I FINALLY opened it up! No mice. No leaks. No mold. Everything works. It has been sprinkling on and off since early afternoon and now I can't close it up. Just when it dries off, another sprinkle moves in. Maybe I'll do a camp driveway and put it down tomorrow.

I did give a tour of the pup to my new next door neighbors. They had never seen it popped up [PU] before and couldn't figure out how we could fit inside such a small camper with such a small door.[PUC] [LOL]

I set 'em straight and they were duly impressed.

10. BackyardCalifornia

BackyardCalifornia Member

I bought one. Does that count?

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY!

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

It's the most important thing you could ever do for your camper! [:)C]

13. kitphantom

@BikeNFish - I finally realized that there are actually some truck slide-ins that have a short door, even though the top pops up. The ones I've seen probably date from the 70s,s o I don't know if they still make them like that. The first one I saw was owned by an elderly couple - I'm not a youngster, so when I say elderly, I mean a good 75 or older. These folks were in a severe crouch as they entered and exited - I looked to make sure the door wasn't malfunctioning, since there was space above it when the roof was up. Nope,that was all the door frame that existed.

Our next trip is in less than 2 weeks, so prioritizing repairs got done. We hope to get the space where the microwave lives sanded tomorrow, to try to have the adhesive for the support frame to hold this time. I noticed that the door latch is still sticking, so we need to fix that. One of the nice things about the TT over the pup is that we can take things out as they're ready - frozen food, clean laundry, restocked items. We
    always had the pup up for a week or so before and after a trip, but this is easier, as is having a fridge/freezer instead of just a cooler.

Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  14. BackyardCalifornia

BackyardCalifornia Member

With that said, we got the bearings packed and now are trying to address an issue where the lift cable is rubbing on the cross brace of the A frame. It looks like the steel plate that holds the reel got bent, changing the angle the cable travels. Previous owner had worn a pretty good groove into the frame but I don’t want the cable to fray.

My wishlist is long:
    Portable hot water heater
    Solar panels and charge control
    Outdoor lights
    Interior design update

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

yahoo, I ordered a 160 watt semi-flexible solar panel. It just arrived. It 52.5" x about 27". Now I need to figure out how to install and run wires.

Im planning on a flat roof top install, which some efficiency will be lost. Im think the effectiveness for the sun angle it will deliver about 110 to 130 watts.

BackyardCalifornia likes this.
  16. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I changed the little BBQ propane bottles for the next size up on my Hybrid. Completed the deck flooring for the 5er.

17. kitphantom

The microwave is back in its niche, after gluing the supports, again - we used E6000 this time. The side mounting holes has gotten damaged with all the movement, so Courtenay tapped them out and used larger fasteners and lock washers in hopes of more stability there. Locktite came into play too. Filled in the mounting holes in the cupboard frame with matchsticks and glue. I hope this repair lasts a long time!
    We've been trying to figure out how to repair the space over the top of the fridge where a piece of wood molding broke off. Turns out it was more than decorative, on windy days a good breeze will blow through the TT from the fridge vent.
    The wood was held in place with pocket screws, installed from the outside, before the fridge was put in place. Courtenay finally cut off the screws with a Dremel attachment, and we came up with a plan to fix the sort-of hole. We got the supplies needed to finish it today, but ran out of time and steam to do any more.

18. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

And now a novel for your reading pleasure...

The place where I store my pup is having trees trimmed today and tomorrow so I went out and moved her around. Brought the cover home to attempt to clean it. It sits under eucalyptus tree which just drops little hard seeds/balls and dirt when it rains. We had enough rain that the cover went from EWWW to wow, not too bad. Replaced the tape on the glass stove cover that mounts the metal "handle". I ordered some replacement reflectors for the side of the front deck and another set of chalks. The factory ones are held on by some double sided foam tape. One decided to live the life of the road I guess. And these are replacements for the ones I bought and misplaced. I'm sure I'll find those the minute I get back from putting these on next weekend. Installed a couple of LED lamps (porch and front deck.) Those were the only incandescent lamps other than the markers, turn and brake lights. I'm contemplating those as well. Probably 1157 turn/brake lamps and 194 markers. Need (11) 194 lamps so that's going to be pricey. It's weird the front of the trailer doesn't have the three center "wide vehicle" markers but the rear of the trailer does.

Now I'm in a decision mode. Storage sucks in this thing. I bought some small bins, larger than shoe boxes, at Wally World for one cabinet that everything gets shoved into by the door. I hope these fit and work well. I need to find just the right sized tool box as well. Next I'm thinking about mounting this bin I used to use for camping stuff on the font deck. It's a "structural foam". I think it should be water resistant if not proof. I'm going to attack it with the garden hose this week. Only issue is it has recesses on top. That can hold water. I want something I can stash water hoses and sewer fittings in. It's a royal pain to get stuff out of that little hatch door. My big water hose is still in the garage because I was lazy about putting it back in. This will also give me a place to store ratchet straps, wheel chocks, and the like. Or do I break down and buy a truck tool box instead. If it's under 36" wide 37" high open I can put it at the rear of the deck and it will clear the front bunk. Otherwise it goes on the front of the deck. More tongue weight (not that it's an issue.)

Next is back inside. Contemplating getting one of those Sterilite plastic drawer setups as a mini chest of drawers for clothes. It would be nice to be able to keep clothes in there and not worry about packing a suitcase or bag. I procrastinate enough as it is. Usually my rear bunk turns into a storage space. I don't know how those with an actual family do it! I think something I can stash in the bath for transport (thinking those straps for cabinet doors so kids can't get in to keep them closed), or maybe in front of the fridge but sometimes on long trips I stash an ice chest there.

Per the PO the microwave doesn't work. I've never bothered to check it. I was amendment in having a stove with oven and a bathroom, but I draw the line at a microwave. HAH! Contemplating (I do that a lot) pulling it out to gain space, maybe for cookware storage. I currently keep a couple of skillets and small sauce pan in a flat plastic bin that travels under the table and camps in the rear bunk. Has anyone seen a mini cargo net that's about 12"x12", give or take? I have those fridge load bars.

And today I see where someone replaced their fridge (pretty sure it's the exact model I have) with a DC compressor fridge. OH Portal you're going to kill my bank account. Anyone have $1200 they want to part with? It's purely for scientific research. "How long can a pair of GC2 batteries power a 12V fridge?" I really just need to do the fridge fan modification. I have all the parts. I'm just laz...err contemplative.

I leave for the Grand Canyon a month from yesterday. But first, a rally.

And I'm helping a friend who bought a basket case of a mid-90s Weekend Warrior toy hauler. I think someone was renovating it and then threw in the towel. Brand new Progressive converter was plugged in, but nothing was hooked to the DC side. Luckily it has a wet bath since the vent cover is gone. The full grey tank explains the crazy heavy tongue (1200lb). Today or tomorrow is the WD hitch.

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You know it will take about 1.71 days to pass those...

20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I just stained my new table for the FnR. Weathered grey. I'm considering stenciling a couple winter trees on it, so I haven't finished it yet. Will trim it with black tassel trim rather than the iron on plastic trim.

Will be adding the access rounds on the propane tank cover in the next week or two.

Then just have to do some wiring checks - my overhead lights are being problematic (everything else is working fine).