Memory Foam Mattress

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by kc8pny, Jul 23, 2018.

1. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Union City, Ohio
    After a long few years of not camping, I recently bought another PUP. One thing I remember is the mattress in the PUP sucks to say the least. What does everyone use as far as memory foam mattress toppers or what? I would like something I could leave in place when I fold the camper up that will not cause any issues when closing it. Any links or pictures would be appreciated. Looking to finally get back into it after a long 5 years of not having a PUP...........

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I have three inch foam on both of my tent bed ends since about 2009... It does wonders for comfort...

However it does get depressed about an inch when I lower the roof down using the 3-inch foam. When I put the roof up I can see the impression of my three ceiling lamps I have in the foam toppers haha...

This makes me really make sure the ceiling lights are not 'ON' when running the roof down for travel mode. My trailer has a disconnect switch that automatically disables the 12VDC going to the ceiling lamps when I fold down my kitchen sink cabinet...

My ceiling lights are however LED which are alot safer from not giving off alot of heat as before when I was using the automotive type very hot running incandescent bulbs....

When I replaced my ceiling lamps for LED lamps my popup ceiling looked almost like this photo from google. This was back in 2009 just about a year after I purchased my new OFF-ROAD camper. Both ceiling lamps locations showed these burn marks...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

If you are going to add foam toppers to your oem mattress be sure to take all of this into consideration. Very HOT ceiling lamps touching the foam topper could result in a possible fire perhaps...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Union City, Ohio
    Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of a 2 inch memory foam topper.

4. cmt4541

cmt4541 New Member

May 3, 2018
    Maryland
    We have 3” mattresses that came with our pup and added 2” of firm memory foam on top. Does the trick for us.
    We did the tissue box test and 3” was about all the room we had to spare between the mattress and the roof. We wanted to be able to leave the sheets/blankets on the beds for travel so that’s why we chose 2” foam.
    I found too tht if you really take your time and tuck your canvas when closing up you can maximize the available room between mattress and roof.

5. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Union City, Ohio
    Thanks, I never thought about the tissue box test, good idea I will check it out

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Your galley should have a safety switch to kill the lights when it is swung down. this prevents the lights from burning anything they are touching....like a topper

7. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    I use 1 1/2" mem foam in our Fleetwood and even then we've got to force the roof down to close it

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    My pup came without mattresses, so I got to start with a blank slate. After doing quite a bit of research on the topic,
    I purchased a Lucid 5" Firm Foam mattress from Amazon (Walmart also sells the same for the same money). It's
    4 inches of firm, dense foam with a 1" top layer of memory foam. I also put the anti-fatigue mats under it that I
    purchased from Harbor Freight; I think it took 3 packages as both my bunk ends are "Queen". Now, to be honest,
    we haven't slept on it, as the maiden voyage is next week. However, the DW and I both laid on it after it had re-oxygenized and we didn't bottom out.
    Mattress.jpg

We even went so far as to roll around to make sure my, ahem, 'bigger' frame, didn't move her since I tend to get up
    much earlier than she does. I'm 6'2", 240lbs, she's your standard 5'8", 135lb model. Oh, btw, from either place,
    the Full mattress, which leaves about 2" at the tent end, was $129.00 with free shipping for Amazon Prime. Wal Mart
    also offered free shipping. I only chose Amazon because I got a free "t-level" w/purchase during the "Prime Days"
    sale. So, take that for what it's worth. I'll update you if it's of interest after we've spent next week at the beach.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    Sjm9911 and Jenn Moses like this.
  9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I don't like memory foam. It gets too hot and I always found it to be very uncomfortable. I did however put a plain foam topper on mine. I think it is 2 or 2.5". I also put interlocking foam tiles under the mattress as well. I bought mine from Costco but others have been happy with harbor freight although they do tend to smell for a bit until they air out.

My topper came from Walmart since I found them on clearance for a good price. I did have to cut them to size - I have king bunks which are just in between all normal bed dimensions.

I sleep very well with no hot spots and no sore bits either.

10. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    I was concerned about clearance issues when closing so I went with 1" foam. I have no issues at all and it improved my comfort significantly. I'm thinking about going to 2" next year. 3" might be pushing it.

11. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Union City, Ohio
    Thanks everyone

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I have 2.5 inch memory foam with gell cooling toppers. No problem closing and LED lights for no fire dangers.

13. kc8pny

kc8pny Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Union City, Ohio
    Just ordered some LED lights tonight for it, still looking for the right mattress topper right now

14. ppad75

ppad75 New Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Wind Gap, PA
    Last year, halfway thru a 16 day trip we decided that we needed to do something about the mattress. We were in the middle of the Ozarks, very little in the area except the most interesting Walmart I've ever been in. Very small but they still had food. Frozen food cooler was right up against the women's bras. Anyway, they had a 4" memory foam topper which we snapped up. Part of it is memory foam the other part regular foam.

We do not leave our bedding (sleeping bags) on the bed when we fold it down. Problem is the bed we use it on is underneath the door (up against the ceiling) when the camper is folded. With the 4 inches, this causes an issue so we slide it over to the other bed (after we slide the other bed in). This works out pretty well. The A/C is up against the other bed but that isn't an issue since it doesn't hang down as far as the door does.

Made a huge difference in comfort for a little inconvenience in setting it up and down. If I had to do it over again I'd go smaller than 4" but that was all they had at the time and DW said "buy it"

15. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

May 20, 2016
    That way you can tell if the turkeys are done, if you know what I mean.[:D]

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I bought the Big One memory foam toppers from Kohls for my clipper bed. They are egg crate style with a max 1.5 inch depth. I bought two and placed them egg crate down on tip of each other. This gives me 3 inches. They are cooling gel so are quite comfortable. I liked them so much, I put two on my home bed. I added them to the FnR and they work great.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2275891/the-big-one-gel-memory-foam-mattress-topper.jsp?prdPV=1

if you watch and wait, you can get them for $29.99 any size.

AreWeThereYet? likes this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Some people are using air mattresses, you might want to check into that

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks like the safety switch did not work?? Could have been really bad.

19. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Actually you misread or I misspoke... After I fold over the sink cabinet and bring in the tent beds with the 3-inch foam on top of the OEM Mattress then when I bring down the POPUP trailer roof it actually touches the foam topper... I can also see the outline of my two ceiling lights imprinted on the foam topper when I open it up again... My safety switch is on top of the bottom part of the sink cabinet which now has the tent bed rolled over it keeping anything from pushing the switch down to engage 12VDC to the ceiling light fixtures... No safety switch problem - Just my mattress and memory topper are too tall now making me push down hard on my roof to get the outside latches to work properly...

No harm or safety feature bypassed etc...

Roy ken
    [​IMG]

20. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Good thing about the Aliner, you could soak the cushions in yeast, add water, & still have room closing it up...we used self inflating pads we already had on each bunk, but coupled w/ a nylon sleeping bag, it was like a slip N slide, so I replaced those w/ the egg crate back pack pads we had, so far so good...