Mice and insulation

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Indianrock, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Other than one hole in a window screen last year, easily repaired, the only mouse damage I've seen in my Coleman is chewed up toilet paper and "harvesting" of yellow fiberglass insulation. The latest ball of gathered insulation was in next to the water tank between the sink and refrigerator so I think I can just buy some and stuff it into the wall. Looking behind the tank and also in the outside/external refer and hot water heater compartments I don't see any missing insulation or evidence of chewing so I really don't know where it came from. Haven't checked the furnace area yet but that's quite a distance from where this "nest" was found.

2001 Coleman Grand Tour

https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...berglass-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-04929/205129968

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, are you making them an offering so they dont chew up the windows? Close up the holes with great stuff, it will keep the mice out!

nineoaks2004 and neighbormike like this.
  3. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

Close up the holes with what? ( great stuff )

4. Sjm9911

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Mice will chew right through Great Stuff if they want to. Although someone posted that they have a special mice barrier type that I don't know anything about.

Natureangel likes this.
  6. Indianrock

Indianrock Member

There is a pest block version of Great Stuff but I'm thinking loads of steel wool might be better except underneath the trailer. Great stuff might make it very hard to replace a hot water tank and associated pipes for example. If they're getting in from underneath ( best guess since they can't jump too high ) I could probably look for openings under there for Great Stuff. We live near the woods and in the last two days I've caught 5 mice in and under the trailer :)

upload_2019-3-26_15-34-58.png

7. Sjm9911

They can, but they dint. They will mostly go somewhere else as its easier. If there trapped inside and thats how they got in i can see it. To get into someplace i have never seen them eat through it. Ive used it in many apartments never had a problum.

8. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I once had mice take the stuffing from a boat cushion hanging on my garage wall and make a nest on the other side of the garage on top of my car engine. They did this in two days. It took me a long time to figure out where the nest material came from. Months after I found the nest, I grabbed the cushion to put in the boat and found the hole the mice made.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

They most certainly will chew through it if you use it to block an opening they've previously used. Been there, done that.

Used together with steel wool or copper mesh or something like that though, it's very effective.

Indianrock likes this.