1. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

So I have a built in microwave in my pup. I have had the pup since last May. I have never used the microwave. That being said, most of the time when I camp we dont have hookups, so when we do have hookups i tend to forget we have it. How many of you have a microwave in your pup? Do you use it? Do you camp where there are hookups? Now granted I dont have young kids going with me, granddaughter is only 5 months old. When she gets older and goes along that might change.

I was just curious.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont have , dont really use one at home. At home its just for quick steamed vegetables and popcorn. I try to make fresh vegetables though.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When we were in a pop up, we never had a microwave, and never missed it. We use ours at home all the time, but never even thought about taking one along. Out new TT came equipped with one, and we considered using it the last outing, but DW was afraid we'd get it dirty and didn't feel like having to clean it. Maybe in the future we'll use it for something other than an extra closet.

4. ProbablyNotLostWanderer

ProbablyNotLostWanderer Member

We were considering taking our microwave out for storage space, because when we lived in colorado, we never camped with hookups. When we moved down to Texas, we mostly camp state parks with hookups. We LOVE having a microwave now. It's one of the few amenities that gets used every trip. I use it to heat up water for tea, and to heat up food so I can bring precooked things.

5. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

We have a Fleetwood Niagara that has micro built in. We always have full hook-up. It gets used most every trip.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Check THIS out.

7. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Interesting poll, thanks.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The PO gave me a microwave with the FoldnRoll when I bought it. I tossed it.

I don't use a microwave camping. In the clipper, I use the stove top and oven and love it. With the FoldnRoll, I only have a stove top. So if I find myself with hookups, I'd rather have a toaster oven.

At home, I use the microwave for quick meals. When camping I'd rather spend a little extra time and cook.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Never had one in the pup.. Have one in the TT and use it for all kinds of things, just like we use the one at the house, wouldn't be without it..

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I carry one of these low wattage 600W manual WHITE FACE microwave units... This runs off my 2KW Generator and comes in handy for a quick warm up of something...

[​IMG]
    Google image

This will cook up my Jimmy Dean breakfast meal just fine when camping off grid haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We never had a microwave in our pups, and it was on our list of things we didn't want when we bought the TT. However, it was already in there when we bought the TT, part of the dealer's standard options. Turned out to be very handy, especially for overnight stops. We take meals we've cooked and frozen at home, so it's handy for those and other things. When not in use, we remove the glass turntable, and store lightweight, bulky things in it (door curtain, etc.).
    When we've had issues with it - it shifted in its cubby, so we had to make a frame to keep it stable; then I forgot to remove the turntable and it leapt out and shattered, we debated if it was worth keeping, and the conclusion has always been yes. In our popups, that would have been no, since they were small, and trying to tote a microwave would have been a pain.

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If I camped in the south where I'd want hookups for AC, I'd have no problem using a microwave. We don't camp with hookups so a microwave (and AC) would be useless to us.

13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have one like @roybraddy. We use it when we have electricity (hookups or I start the generator). Some like to have it; some say it ain’t camping. I don’t cook over the fire and I cook in my PUP or with the outside stove in the summer. Having one is nice when I want it.

14. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

We just inherited a small 800W microwave my SIL was going to trash before our last trip. With 2 kids, it was a very nice thing to have. Made reheating food a million times easier and faster.

15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We have a microwave built into our pup. It is used as a cupboard for kitchen towels and the like.

16. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Sorry, double post.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  17. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We have one that looks just like Roy's, except its red. It's been in the pup 2 years now, & I *think* we have used it twice....lol. I keep thinking about taking it out, but the wife likes having it along....not sure why.