Mind Blown $4,000

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Kittyhawksurf, Mar 16, 2018.

Do you regret selling your Pop Up?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Kittyhawksurf

Kittyhawksurf Work, family, surf, eat, camp.

Aug 16, 2014
    Well, I have moved to the Dark Side as well. I never thought I would get rid of my PU. My family practically begged for a bigger camper.

I took my 2014 Palomino Basecamp 12BDG to the dealership for the trade. It was garage kept. The toilet had only been used twice (only pee!). It was well taken care of, but the A/C unit died. I will miss her. Anyway, the dealership told me the most they could give me was $4,000 and I said there was no way I was doing that. I told them $6,000 was the absolute minimum, so I packed my camper back up and headed home with her. I stopped at the Food Lion parking lot and soon after I ate my own words. I could have sold it on craigslist for more, but the bottom line is I have been researching hard sides for several months and I couldn't take it any more. I went back up there and I might as well have paid them to take it.

It took me about 10 minutes to get over it. Once I signed the paperwork I was really happy because my family will go "camping" with me more. I honestly don't feel like it's "camping." I'm going to have to keep them outside as much as possible. Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 320UBH is what we got. I guess I'm allowed to stay here since there is a Dark Side thread! That's good to know.

See you guys. I'm sure I'll have 9,000 questions about how to dump my take or grey or black first, or do I park it in the wind or against, or how do I tilt the awning...

I love the PuP. #stillgonnalook #illbeback

Dback2k4 likes this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    When my parents were looking to trade in their Old Jayco to get their travel trailer the dealer only offered them $500 for the old girl. The Jayco was a very very bare bones 1990 pop-up garage kept. Dad was like forget it we'll keep it. Next thing I know I got my child hood popup from my parents for free. Welcome to the dark side. When I eventilly upgraded I strongly considered going dark/gray myself but decided to just get a larger popup. Mainly because my favorite campsites are in the mountains and the mountain roads would have been a challenge with a larger unit.

Kittyhawksurf likes this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I enjoyed my popup for 8 years. I don't miss it and don't see going back to one.

Ductape and Kittyhawksurf like this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Welcome to the Darkside ..

5. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    ...in his best "Darth Vader" tone....[:D][:D]

pasobuff and Kittyhawksurf like this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Similar story here. When we bought the travel trailer last fall, the dealer offered $500 for our '98 Jayco Eagle 12 UDK. I too was a little dismayed so kept the Pup and gave it to our daughter. [:)C]

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have had every kind of RV. But PUP's were my favorite, getting older we decided on another MH. but it was to big and cost to much to operate, back to a pup then we found the Coleman CTS 16 FB. small just right for us and easy to tow, minimum set up or break down, just open the door to pack and unpack etc. We will never go back to a PUP, our small pull behind fills the bill for us.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

Kittyhawksurf and myride like this.
  9. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I'm in the situation where I also have a well taken care of newer PUP, which I love, but my family no longer camps with me (unless I beg, and promise to do all of the work so DH can just relax, which isn't as much fun for me). Going alone, I just want to keep things simple, so I am considering trading her in for a small TT, but I will lose half the value of my PUP in the trade in, and even on CL, I will be selling it at a loss. I really wish I could keep the PUP for camping with family/friends/eventual GK's, and get a little T@B just for me, sigh. I have all these long distance trips that I want to take, and it would be nice to just pull over along the way to take a quick nap or do a quick overnighter without unhooking and popping up so I can get an early start the next morning. I look at travel trailers on CL almost every day, sigh. I'm glad your family will camp with you more now that you have the TT. Enjoy.

10. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    I didn't see an option for ' HE11 NO ' ?? I also appreciate what our popup did for us, but gong to the dark side completely transformed our camping. With the popup, we camped about 14 nights / season. Since we bought our TT, we average about 28 nights/ season. Right now you might feel that it doesn't seem like camping, but then, camping in our popup wasn't like the 'camping' I did growing up with my old man. Just wait till your first time packing up in the rain. You won't be missing your popup one bit.

11. Takamine

Takamine Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Goshen, Indiana
    I love the dark side... and don't worry about the process of dumping the tanks, it's really not a difficult task.

12. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    when we bought our popup, it was a compromise. We really wanted a hybrid but did not have the tow vehicle that would handle the one that would work best for us, so we ended up in a highwall popup. It worked out well for us for the 6 years we had it; we went out at least twice per month - but having to set it up anytime I wanted to do anything to it got old. We were still looking at hybrids at all the RV shows. Well, we ended up getting a better tow vehicle, and a few years later we saw the hybrid that trumped the highwall popup we had - couple of weeks later the hybrid sat in the driveway in place of the popup and we are ecstatic. We are starting our third year with it and have no regrets. The only thing I miss - the better gas mileage I got with the highwall - but that was not enough to keep me in a popup.

13. Kittyhawksurf

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm totally worried about the gas mileage too. Thanks for all the responses everyone. Here is what I got: 2016073-1-revo.jpg IMG_7667.JPG

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    now you need to change your signature LOL - hope the family enjoys camping in it.

15. Kittyhawksurf

Aug 16, 2014
    Hahaha. Good point! I'll get on that!

16. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
    Had the PUP for 7 years and used it often. DW was getting to the point that the set up and breakdown was robbing the enjoyment. Sold the PUP and bought a small TT. Easy to tow and set up. As much as we enjoyed our time in the PUP we would never go back.

Ductape and Kittyhawksurf like this.
  17. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    You have to pull the trigger. Camping was my wife`s thing as she did it as a kid. I hated the setup and breakdown. I will do it but it was not something i enjoyed . Once i got the addiction , when she said she is moving to a TT and we did lose some money i was not sure. We enjoy camping alot more as setup is less than 10 minutes. When i camp, i like to be outdoors and not thinking setting up and setting down . Its takes alot of energy on hot days and then we just walk and sit around . Now we setup and then go out hiking, riding bikes, swimming, fishing. I do not have to pack what i need for an activity and generally keep all the stuff in the camper now. Even when we camp with friends it easier to setup in 10 minutes and spend the time and energy hanging out .

18. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    [​IMG]

You have a diesel truck so it won't be too bad and gassing up with your TT hooked up with be

19. Kittyhawksurf

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm looking into an auxiliary tank at this point. I'm guessing it's going to be somewhere around 10 mpg and that's gonna drive everyone crazy if I have to stop for diesel every 4 hours.

20. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I just towed my toy hauler home... biggest thing I ever towed in my life... to date. I could tell my diesel was using a bit more of the throttle than she used to. I'm sure she'll suck more diesel. Considering I was just in in in the driveway watching Big Bang Theory, sitting in a reclining chair, and I can go in and out all I want... It is TOTALLY WORTH EVERY GALLON!