MN Area Service

Discussion in 'RV Dealers & Repair Shops' started by Nasteff, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

May 7, 2018
    I found this on a different post.

Keep in mind that the amp rating on a converter is the DC amp output. It has nothing to do with the AC load capability.
    The AC load is limited by your shore power cord (usually 15 or 30 amp) and the circuit breakers in the converter. If you have the big plug on your shore power cord it is 30 amps.
    Some pups have a dedicated 20 amp circuit already wired for air conditioners.You may have a 20 amp outlet somewhere.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Can I ask why you are so set on installing an AC unit? Are you planning on a lot of Southern US trips?

I don't have AC on my pup. Only once (camping in Kansas last year) did I wish I had AC but a fan took care of most of that want. I plan on purchasing a portable AC (something like THIS) if I ever have that urge again. The portable units price tags are FAR LESS than the rooftop units.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We brought along a portable AC this year for the first time, for two different July trips. The one over the 4th temps were flirting with 100. Then in South Dakota it was high 80s-mid-90s most of the trip. Along with humidity we were glad to have it, but it definitely didn't "cool down" the pup even though it's a 14KBTU unit with dual air hoses. I flirted with the idea of adding a rooftop unit since that would be higher mounted (cold air sinks) and more centrally located (vs over on the other side of the camper from our 'master' bunk which is the only viable place for it), but I'm don't think I'll ever spring for the money as we often camp without shore power at all, such as this weekend which will be in the upper 80s again.

"Bike" that unit you linked to is only 9KBTU... I don't think you'll be happy with that one... I'd buy the biggest one you can afford/carry.

BikeNFish likes this.
  4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I'm up here in MN also, 14th year camping without AC and have never needed it. When we take trips in the summer, we don't go where AC is needed. Might be hot during the day, but it has always cooled down at night and no issues there. We get out West camping almost every year and very rarely would you need AC out there unless you get down into the Desert SW at lower elevations.

5. Nasteff

Nasteff New Member

May 7, 2018
    I don’t NEED ac just thought it would be a nice feature if the price was right. I might just wait until we upgrade to a newer camper and get one that already has it. I have built a frame that sits on the side of our camper that I can put a window ac unit on that works just fine at keeping the camper cool, but the thing is transporting it. The window ac takes up a lot of space either in the back of the car or the camper. By the time u pack in two kids and a dog along with all the camping supplies and clothes n what not there just isn’t much space left, so we usually just say screw it and leave it behind. Then there’s setting it all up once ur there. Not a huge deal but still takes time. I’m sure would be the same with the portable ac unit taking up valuable space inside ur camper. It would be nice if it was just a rtu that didn’t have to worry about any of that.

I will probably purchase PUGS first since I hear good things about them and see how it goes with those.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have them. They are worth it. I also have Reflectix for the windows. This also make a noticeable difference.
    2018 Grand Portage 03.JPG